micro USB to micro sd (for OTG)

Search This thread

vincepg13

Jul 23, 2011
I'm going with the GS3 toolkit one if it's confirmed to work, looks like the perfect solution

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
This is what I ended up using...

Just got my order in from DealExtreme.

SOURCE; http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-on-the-go-host-otg-adapter-pair-50774?item=1

Paired with; http://dx.com/p/mini-usb-micro-sd-tf-card-reader-w-cell-phone-strap-max-64gb-random-color-125517

They sent me a white and black, the white you can see the blue data access led, the black you can't, it lights up internally but won't shine thru. Works great.

2d8nujb.jpg

JohnnyHempseed

Jun 5, 2012
South Jersey
I get why you guys want to go as small as possible, but the fact is that you're still going to have a decent sized adapter sticking out the side of your Nexus. Just get the regular OTG cable with a 90 degree bend and use the magnet in the smart cover to attach the usb drive behind it. It's as low profile as you're going to get. I attached pics of my setup. :good:

Attachments

• IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,401
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,611
Reactions: Ovrclck

Ovrclck

Apr 11, 2008
Orange County,CA
I get why you guys want to go as small as possible, but the fact is that you're still going to have a decent sized adapter sticking out the side of your Nexus. Just get the regular OTG cable with a 90 degree bend and use the magnet in the smart cover to attach the usb drive behind it. It's as low profile as you're going to get. I attached pics of my setup. :good:

Can you link me to your micro usb reader? I have that same case btw :good:

JohnnyHempseed

Jun 5, 2012
South Jersey
It's not a reader, it's just a 32gb PNY micro usb drive... I got it on sale for $18 at my local Wal-mart and it has a metal casing which works perfectly with the case magnet.USB flash drives are faster than SD readers on USB 2.0.

I can't post links because I haven't reached 10 posts yet, but you can get the USB drive on Amazon for $20 - PNY Metal USB (P-FDU32G/APPMT-GE) and the 90 degree bend OTG Cable is like .65 cents on Amazon

Reactions: Ovrclck

Ovrclck

Apr 11, 2008
Orange County,CA
It's not a reader, it's just a 32gb PNY micro usb drive... I got it on sale for $18 at my local Wal-mart and it has a metal casing which works perfectly with the case magnet.USB flash drives are faster than SD readers on USB 2.0.

I can't post links because I haven't reached 10 posts yet, but you can get the USB drive on Amazon for $20 - PNY Metal USB (P-FDU32G/APPMT-GE) and the 90 degree bend OTG Cable is like .65 cents on Amazon

Oh right on! Thanks man!

Aug 26, 2012
Philadelphia
OTG-USB

This is my setup. I picked up the OTG-USB Cable on eBay for $3.50. Grabbed a USB 3.0 Flash Drive & Installed Stickmount on my Nexus 7. Works perfectly. I mostly use it to hold & watch Movis(.AVI files).

lionsh

Apr 8, 2010
Does anyone of you store apps\app storage on their setup usb connected?

I have a 8GB version and games like NOVA3 (btw, only 0.99$ today) take 2GB of space.
How can you run them from connected USB? I read about LINK2SD but it's not that grreat.
Perhaps symlink'ing...

anyway, i'll be happy to hear your thoughts.

mariolouis

Jan 10, 2005
Manila
You can't unfortunately. Unless you decompile the game apk and edit some links it has to point to the directory of your usb drive, usually /sdcard/usb storage, but that would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Plus you will need to re-sign the apk when recompiling. After of course you have secured a copy of the game developer's source code, which you won't get simply by begging. :(

You can edit voldfstab and run the tablet thinking the usb otg as /sdcard, but having that dangling thing all the time even when not using it seem a lot of hassle.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

lionsh

Apr 8, 2010
Good news everyone :)

I found this old thread on XDA http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1410262
basically instead of using symbolic links we can use mount.
The app in the link does this very nicely and i now run NOVA3 which has 2GB of data out of my usb connected card reader.

This will save a lot of space, especially for games.

mariolouis

Jan 10, 2005
Manila
I have read that thread and the app developer is gone before the app actually became stable enough for daily use. Maybe he realized his app gave too much problem he himself could not handle based on the discussions in his last posts. I don't know.
Because sometimes whole partitions and directories can be lost using that app, don't forget to backup. :)

1964ad

Nov 28, 2009
Working Prototype

Here's some images of my first attempt at making a MicroSD to MicroUSB OTG adaptor. It works 100%

So come on all we need now is someone to reduce the size and manufacture them !

Attachments

• IMG_20120902_111806.jpg
    IMG_20120902_111806.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1,220
  • IMG_20120902_111753.jpg
    IMG_20120902_111753.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_20120902_111741.jpg
    IMG_20120902_111741.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,075
Reactions: aksolanki

dederp

Aug 29, 2012
Pretty close.

Galaxy Note @ mobile

That concept looks good. I hope it gets made :good:

Anybody know if the attached pic is possible to build?

Apologies for the ghetto MS Paint concept but this is really what I'm looking for. Super low profile, Mini USB to Micro SD direct.

Attachments

• ddda.png
    ddda.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 910

JeepFreak

May 17, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G

You don't have any issues with the magnet in constant contact with the flash drive? Are flash drives not "magnetic media"
Billy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mariolouis

Jan 10, 2005
Manila
It should use nand so it is non-magnetic. Same tech as ram and flash drives. ;)

Maturola

Sep 5, 2012
Atlanta
www.maturola.com
Here's some images of my first attempt at making a MicroSD to MicroUSB OTG adaptor. It works 100%

I am working on something like that, I am having some issues sourcing the interface chip, the current company I am dealing with is asking too much due to the low quantities but i got some others on waiting list, I am getting a full BOM, and quotes for the plastics and PCB and i will publish a kickstarter.com project to get the first 200 units funded.

If anyone is really interested on getting one, you can PM me so I can get a general head count, I will post back when i get the 3d modeling of the casing.

Just for the records, I am a EE and I design electronic for a living so this is not a joke post.

Attachments

• IMG_20120924_225555.jpg
    IMG_20120924_225555.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know I've shown this on another thread here, but this is my working prototype of a micro USB plug to female USB OTG adapter.

I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive to knock up the same design, but with micro SD reader instead of the female USB. However, I'd rather pay for one already done if I find someone selling them ;)
    Quick update

Just wanted to update the thread with some current info.

So I was able to find a supplier for the interface chip with a price that make sense, so far this is what I got:

BOM cost is about $9.50
    PCB Fabrication $5.75
    This based on a 100- units

I am waiting on the quote for the Prototype SLA and 3D modeling of the casing and a production quote of actual molding and injection plastics.

:good:
    I got the little tiny micro usb direct to mSD adaptor for $5 from dx.com. WONDERFUL. FLAT OUT WONDERFUL.

I am buying 3 more. first its pretty big actually but there is an upside. open it up and its MICRO in extreme and RIPE for hacking. BONUS it works in BOTH my S3 and my Note II (my other adaptor not only stopped working all together but it would work in the Note II but not the S3 for some reason)

this is so much nicer. takes a little modding but the result is amazingly convenient. love the USB adaptor that comes with it too.

pop that little bugger open (it opens) and this slides right out easily

MiBXFl.jpg

notice that little bit of plastic I cut up? thats for this

uNGJdl.jpg

so you end up with this

G3D1Ll.jpg

and because its not so skinny it fits even with my super thick protective cases NO problem.

LOVE IT

asoaBl.jpg

and in my Note II with its super thick case.

UWaLIl.jpg

now that I know it works I will properly glue that cap in place and get rid of the ugly tape and put some heat shrink tubing on it ti pretty it up.

THERE ARE ALSO 5 distinct "contacts" actually tiny rigid wires. so it should be possible to snip them and add "wires" to allow a tiny plug on the device and the actual SD slot to be mounted to the BACK of the device. this will permit "semi permanent" installations on screwed up devices like the nexus ten that some idiot though would be a great idea to make a 2550x1440 display panel power house device with only 16gb of useless storage. morons :)
    Project is Live!!

Ok Everyone, we finally got everything setup and the project is live at Indiegogo.com

http://www.indiegogo.com/microsdtomicrousb

Open to any feedback, question and positive criticism :good:

Please share it with as many people as you can, let's make this project happen.

As a quick update, I received great news from the test lab yesterday, I am getting Net 30 terms on the FCC Part 15 testing, so I can send the unit as soon as the production prototype is ready and we should be able to get an approval before the end of the year. (I know that "may" not sound like much, but for those that don't work on the industry, test house are 200% capacity during this period of the year due to large companies [mostly Toys and Electronics] trying to release product for the holiday season, most test house don't deal with small projects and small companies until the rush is over ny mid january).

I am working on something like that, I am having some issues sourcing the interface chip, the current company I am dealing with is asking too much due to the low quantities but i got some others on waiting list, I am getting a full BOM, and quotes for the plastics and PCB and i will publish a kickstarter.com project to get the first 200 units funded.

If anyone is really interested on getting one, you can PM me so I can get a general head count, I will post back when i get the 3d modeling of the casing.

Just for the records, I am a EE and I design electronic for a living so this is not a joke post.