[HBOOT] HOWTO Install an ENG hboot on your INC S

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Brought to you by touchpro247 and I. (touchpro247 put his phone on the line testing this)

First off, I take no blame for anything that happens due to this. This can potentially brick your phone. If this bricks your phone, makes it unstable, kills your cat.. YOUR FAULT not mine.

Please, don't make typos in the commands.

Eng Hboots allow you to flash unsigned images, and opens up more fastboot commands. Most people do not need this. This will not [provide perm root, or un-writeprotecte the emmc chip. In fact, if you don't have s-off it won't work for you.

Requirements:
Root
radio (ship) s-off
Busybox properly installed
adb working

If you do not have busybox, you can use this app to install it https://market.android.com/details?id=stericson.busybox

Download the ENGHboot for Vivo here:
http://cunninglogic.com/android/vivo/vivo_enghboot.img

put the file on your sdcard

Follow these commands

Code:
adb shell

If you have havea $ prompt and not a # prompt, run su

Code:
su

You should now have a # prompt and can continue

Code:
busybox md5sum /sdcard/vivo_enghboot.img

If the output is NOT b1829cfb7cf5d462660a58aa5449d27c , STOP redownload the file and try again. Anything else could cause a brick. If it matches, continue.

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/vivo_enghboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
reboot bootloader

You should now see this, and are done.

bKZta.jpg

Enjoy

Last edited:

touchpro247

Apr 8, 2009
Note: This is case sensitive and the file should be placed on the root of your sdcard.

Please just use the "THANKS" feature.

We all need to help keep the Dev threads clean.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyToolbox

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
If a way to unlock the emmc write protection is found (it is not kernel based, and wpthis will not work), then this hboot can be used to set the phone s-off.

max-k

Feb 20, 2010
Antibes
dump of vivo hboot after xtc-clip

Hi,
Thank you for this post.
Before trying to flash your hboot, i've made a dump of the one i've obtained after unlocking my phone with an xtc-clip.
It seems that this is the same as yours but a little bit more recent.
Version 1.09.0000.
I've uploaded it here : http://www.multiupload.com/QPS8W9RH0M
If someone is interested.

deficitism

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2007
Hi,
Thank you for this post.
Before trying to flash your hboot, i've made a dump of the one i've obtained after unlocking my phone with an xtc-clip.
It seems that this is the same as yours but a little bit more recent.
Version 1.09.0000.
I've uploaded it here : http://www.multiupload.com/QPS8W9RH0M
If someone is interested.

Thanks for this. Couple of questions.

How did you dump the hboot image? I actually had no idea this was possible... Also, did the hboot version actually change after you used the xtc clip? I'm not 100% sure how the clip works internally, but was under the impression that it sets the flags at the radio level, and doesn't specifically modify the bootloader.

max-k

Feb 20, 2010
Antibes
Thanks for this. Couple of questions.

How did you dump the hboot image?
I actually had no idea this was possible...
I've dumped the image using your process :
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/vivo_hboot.img
Also, perhaps it doesn't works. I don't try to reflash it yet.
Also, did the hboot version actually change after you used the xtc clip? I'm not 100% sure how the clip works internally, but was under the impression that it sets the flags at the radio level, and doesn't specifically modify the bootloader.
I'm not sure too.
Perhaps you're right.
But, if you're right, i don't know if there are any differences between my old hboot and yours.
Options in "fastboot" and "bootloader" are the same.

Last edited:

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I've dumped the image using your process :
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/vivo_hboot.img
Also, perhaps it doesn't works. I don't try to reflash it yet.

I'm not sure too.
Perhaps you're right.
But, if you're right, i don't know if there are any differences between my old hboot and yours.
Options in "fastboot" and "bootloader" are the same.

mytTx.png

The ENG (engineering) is on top. The hboot you dumped is on bottom of the picture, it is a SHIP hboot. Meaning, unless the radio says other wise, you are s-on. It also has limited fastboot commands, and checks for signatures before flashing.

XTC clip sets s-off in the radio config, and does not modify hboot in any way.

I do not know how you determined it to be the same. Most of the time ENG hboots are older, as they are not used in production, but in testing.

deficitism

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2007
mytTx.png

The ENG (engineering) is on top. The hboot you dumped is on bottom of the picture, it is a SHIP hboot. Meaning, unless the radio says other wise, you are s-on. It also has limited fastboot commands, and checks for signatures before flashing.

I do not know how you determined it to be the same. Most of the time ENG hboots are older, as they are not used in production, but in testing.

Yep. Although, he should now be able to flash the engineering bootloader.

From the looks of it, it appears we should be able to talk to the bootloader through a USB cable with some sort of console access. I recall unrevoked's toolset doing so to temporarily disable the NAND protection long enough to flash a custom recovery. Unfortunately, these devices seem to only be booting factory signed hboot and recovery images.

We need either:
(1) As jcase said, an old ass radio image.
(2) A signed engineering bootloader
(3) A methodology for simulating the ports/diag commands that the sim unlock clip is using. And a way to send the config flags over USB.
(4) A brand spanking new vulnerability

Just thinking aloud.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I think best bet will be a new exploit to remove wp and allowed us to flash the eng hboot or set the radio s-off

Sent from my LG Revolution

max-k

Feb 20, 2010
Antibes
mytTx.png

Thank-you for this explanations.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Brought to you by touchpro247 and I. (touchpro247 put his phone on the line testing this)

First off, I take no blame for anything that happens due to this. This can potentially brick your phone. If this bricks your phone, makes it unstable, kills your cat.. YOUR FAULT not mine.

Please, don't make typos in the commands.

Eng Hboots allow you to flash unsigned images, and opens up more fastboot commands. Most people do not need this. This will not [provide perm root, or un-writeprotecte the emmc chip. In fact, if you don't have s-off it won't work for you.

Requirements:
    Root
    radio (ship) s-off
    Busybox properly installed
    adb working

If you do not have busybox, you can use this app to install it https://market.android.com/details?id=stericson.busybox

Download the ENGHboot for Vivo here:
    http://cunninglogic.com/android/vivo/vivo_enghboot.img

put the file on your sdcard

Follow these commands

Code:
    adb shell

If you have havea $ prompt and not a # prompt, run su

Code:
    su

You should now have a # prompt and can continue

Code:
    busybox md5sum /sdcard/vivo_enghboot.img

If the output is NOT b1829cfb7cf5d462660a58aa5449d27c , STOP redownload the file and try again. Anything else could cause a brick. If it matches, continue.

Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/vivo_enghboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    reboot bootloader

You should now see this, and are done.

bKZta.jpg

Enjoy
    Can any one confirm that they are able to flash stock HBOOT over this or is this permanent?

ENG hboot is not permanent. I had ENG hboot and it changed to regular hboot after I flashed a stock RUU rom.

Note: This is case sensitive and the file should be placed on the root of your sdcard.

Please just use the "THANKS" feature.

We all need to help keep the Dev threads clean.

Ah, so I can download vivo_enghboot.img, rename it to PG32IMG.zip, copy to my sd card root, reboot my phone into HBOOT, it will detect and install it making my phone ENG S-OFF?

From this point will I have to delete the PG32IMG.zip file off of my sd card? After that I should be able to reboot my phone and it will start up normally?

Yes after it installs you should have the ENG-HBOOT and when you reboot your phone normally you will want to delete the PG32IMG.zip file from the SD to prevent it from getting installed again next time you got into HBOOT.