is it bad for the Moto G if I play a 2.5-hour 1080p movie MKV ripped at 3500kbps?

Search This thread

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
is it bad for the Moto G if I play a 2.5-hour 1080p movie MKV ripped at 3500kbps?
(assuming I play it continuosly with brightness at about 50%)

the movie plays smoothly using MX Player in HW+. However, I'm just wondering
if the Moto G will burn out or something like that. (which is what happened when
I played the same movie on my Note 3)

jlmcr87

Apr 18, 2011
(assuming I play it continuosly with brightness at about 50%)

the movie plays smoothly using MX Player in HW+. However, I'm just wondering
if the Moto G will burn out or something like that. (which is what happened when
I played the same movie on my Note 3)

You can use something called "TV":good:

SamsungAdmire

Mar 6, 2012
Nope, very small chance the phone might get slightly warm but that's it. Nothing wrong with the phone getting a lil warm

angomy

May 4, 2011
Well, I watched a 2 hour movie streamed from Netflix the other day and my phone got a bit warm but not overly so, it didn't seem too bad. YMMV of course, do you happen to have a TPU case on it? I had issues with other devices overheating with those silicone & tpu cases which is why I only go hard cases that don't retain heat as much now.

mcnutty

Oct 29, 2006
With the chips in this phone, you will have a very hard time overheating it. The parts are too low power to generate enough heat to cause damage. Even on high end phones, you can't really hurt them as they throttle performance to reduce heat generation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
With the chips in this phone, you will have a very hard time overheating it. The parts are too low power to generate enough heat to cause damage. Even on high end phones, you can't really hurt them as they throttle performance to reduce heat generation.

I still have my Note 2 and Note 3, as well as the older Galaxy Nexus(Verizon).

Those phones will overheat and shutdown when playing 1080p videos while
running navigation(such as Google Maps Navigation), with the car charger
plugged in. I assume Moto phone have the same kind of protection mechanism
built in?

mcnutty

Oct 29, 2006
Various review sites have attempted to overheat the Moto G in an attempt to evaluate throttled performance, and I've yet to see a review where they find a way to overheat it.

I'm sure you could do similar to what you said, but it will only get warm (at least mine does when playing music while using gps in the car with the charger plugged in).