A day with the G3, my impressions.

Search This thread

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Moto G Stylus 5G
Woowwwwww dude I don't know what to say to this other than its completely false. Its a fact that the M8 is noticeably and in some cases significantly smoother than the G3. But I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

How is it completely false. It's what I experienced with MY m8 and g3!

You may have a different experience but to me my m8 lagged more than my g3! I even had issues with my m8 by not even turning on even when I press the power button! And I'm using the SAME apps as I did my m8 and I don't have any issues with my g3! To me the g3 performs better than my m8.... So why would I get on here and lie about my experience? The only thing I miss about the m8 is the Boomsound I also get better battery life with the g3 with more usage as I did the m8....

I don't get some of you people at all! When somebody experience with something doesn't meet to what YOU think is right then there's a problem with the them! Lol

Last edited:

tee00max

Jun 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I guess everyone experience is different because I have done every little mod or trick or whatever you want to call it to the G3 and I can still notice lag. Its definetly not as smooth as the M8 by far. I enjoy the screen and the battery life but overall performance, the G3 cant touch the M8. Thinking about going back to the M8 or getting an S5 to try it out.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA

You may have a different experience but to me my m8 lagged more than my g3! I even had issues with my m8 by not even turning on even when I press the power button! And I'm using the SAME apps as I did my m8 and I don't have any issues with my g3! To me the g3 performs better than my m8.... So why would I get on here and lie about my experience? The only thing I miss about the m8 is the Boomsound I also get better battery life with the g3 with more usage as I did the m8....

I don't get some of you people at all! When somebody experience with something doesn't meet to what YOU think is right then there's a problem with the them! Lol
Because its unheard of. But your entitled to your opinion.

There's a reason why there's like 6 threads talking about lag on the G3 forum and why SO many people complain about the UI being sluggish.

There never has been a single thread on the M8 forum where people complain about lag, in fact everyone says the M8 is the smoothest and fastest android phone so either you had a one in a million M8 that was faulty or you're just defending your G3. But I've made my points so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: riginal

xketch

Dec 23, 2009
I'll try to be unbiased.

G3 is laggy out of the box, I felt this almost immediately when I first played with it. Comparing it to the m8, which I owned, m8 had less lag, though, still some.
I sold the m8, the phone felt much too large with minimal upgrades... I came from the g2.

With my g3, I went to nova launcher, bam, lag free. I rooted, and froze apps, even better battery life now. Replaced the stock keyboard app with swift key. Just like that, all my g3 issues were fixed.

I did toy with an s5, I have nothing against that phone, besides that I owned an s3 for two years and all galaxies feel basically the same.

I adore my g3, especially since I'm so used to the back buttons. I only wish it was water resistant. I miss boom sound, but after two weeks of using it, I was back to my Bluetooth speaker for home use, eliminating the use for boom sound. I don't camp very often so I have no use for it after all.

In the end, all we go for are hardware and aesthetic upgrades, which depend highly on personal preference. Some prefer boom sound, a metal casing, smaller screen, a physical front button, even software differences with Apple or Windows.. . I prefer smaller bezel, larger screen, back buttons and Android. No one loses, it's a personal choice, much like how you pick your clothing.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Moto G Stylus 5G
Because its unheard of. But your entitled to your opinion.

There's a reason why there's like 6 threads talking about lag on the G3 forum and why SO many people complain about the UI being sluggish.

There never has been a single thread on the M8 forum where people complain about lag, in fact everyone says the M8 is the smoothest and fastest android phone so either you had a one in a million M8 that was faulty or you're just defending your G3. But I've made my points so I'll leave it at that.

I switch phone's way to much to defend a phone. G3 is the device I like the best! But who knows note 4 comes out and if I like it more I'm gonna sell the g3!

But that still doesn't excuse the fact that with my experience I had more issues with the m8 than I have with the g3!

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

I guess everyone experience is different because I have done every little mod or trick or whatever you want to call it to the G3 and I can still notice lag. Its definetly not as smooth as the M8 by far. I enjoy the screen and the battery life but overall performance, the G3 cant touch the M8. Thinking about going back to the M8 or getting an S5 to try it out.

The good about the m8 is that the boot loader can be unlocked! That's always a plus with a device that's company has a option to the user to mod his device. I wish all the companies would just do that. Ship the phone locked Idc as long as I can unlock it whenever I want to run something other than what's shipped on the phone.

Which is what they can do! That way you don't have to worry about people who don't won't your products cause they don't have a tight security option while pleasing those who love to tweak

Last edited:

dbatech99

Aug 21, 2012
There's a YouTube vid showing very impressive water resistance of the G3. For some reason LG doesn't tout it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

nellycruzz

Oct 24, 2011
rowlett,tx
I had the g3 for 2 weeks and I traveled from Texas to Virginia and with a full battery and using the GPS with screen off and dimmed to 10% when it was on, I got only 3 hours battery life until it hit 20% battery left. The battery cannot handle the pixels and the cpu combined. I know I'm tired and that sounded off, but it's so so sluggish. The camera lacks so so many features that the g2 has, I had to get rid if my g3.
The screen is big and bright, but the battery is what meant most to me and I've read that you cannot do really much or suck on everybody's jock to get decent battery. The g4 will possibly be my next upgrade. With a few tweaks and 4k mod, my g2 surpasses anything the g3 was able to throw at me.

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda premium

3's&7's

Jul 25, 2013
P3X-439
I'll try to be unbiased.

G3 is laggy out of the box, I felt this almost immediately when I first played with it. Comparing it to the m8, which I owned, m8 had less lag, though, still some.
I sold the m8, the phone felt much too large with minimal upgrades... I came from the g2.

With my g3, I went to nova launcher, bam, lag free. I rooted, and froze apps, even better battery life now. Replaced the stock keyboard app with swift key. Just like that, all my g3 issues were fixed.

I did toy with an s5, I have nothing against that phone, besides that I owned an s3 for two years and all galaxies feel basically the same.

I adore my g3, especially since I'm so used to the back buttons. I only wish it was water resistant. I miss boom sound, but after two weeks of using it, I was back to my Bluetooth speaker for home use, eliminating the use for boom sound. I don't camp very often so I have no use for it after all.

In the end, all we go for are hardware and aesthetic upgrades, which depend highly on personal preference. Some prefer boom sound, a metal casing, smaller screen, a physical front button, even software differences with Apple or Windows.. . I prefer smaller bezel, larger screen, back buttons and Android. No one loses, it's a personal choice, much like how you pick your clothing.

Similar experience. I started using the Google Now launcher and I am lag free myself. The stock launcher is a busy bee so to speak and was sucking performance and battery out of my G3.

After rooting and debloating the phone just sings, actually reminds me of why I loved the g2 so much. I'm tempted to try Nova launcher out and disable thermal controls...nova first though as its safer.

bolillo

Well my impressions of the phone are that this is definitely an upgrade over my Xperia TL, The things that drew me toward the phone was the style and the laser(yes ik it might be a novelty to say it focuses better but it actually works), also i like that the screen actually looks like it takes up most of the phone and little is lost to it, and that the screen is 4k and that might be novelty also but the quality is world better than what i had and i sense the colors aren't super over popy i guess like the sg3 i had which screen looked great but ik that any content that i passed or sent to someone else won't look as good, also the controller app that the phone has is super awesome i swear it has every single brand of tv,audio device, cable box and more, i even tried it on a car radio that had a remote and it freaking worked, battery life is awesome coming from the Xperia TL which i had to have a custom rom and brightness all the way down just to get through one day of use, now i don't have to worry about it running out, the speaker quality is awesome and clear, and i can't think of anything else than to say this phone met and exceeded my expectations.

Edit: Some minor stuff i had found are that using the fitness homescreen lagged the phone horribly, the keyboard when you use two languages and enable bilingual options to use both language word suggestions lagged the keyboard to the point of not being usable, this feature i had with my xperia keyboard and it worked flawlessly. I hope that i can get to install the xperia keyboard onto this phone or that a fix by lg comes or someone finds a way to fix the lag because i rather like the stock keyboard, other than that solid phone and just now i set up an universal remote for a pedestal fan hahaha this is awesome, also anyone find a way to get more rooms set up on the quickremote app? Cause i want to be able to set up more rooms

Last edited:

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
I showed my G3 to a friend of mine who is a die hard apple fanboy and the camera blew them away. It was funny because you can't stumpy the laser focus its always fast and accurate. The UI in my opinion is leaps and bounds ahead of TW. Ive had many Samsung phones and just switched to LG and its the best choice I have made for a new phone. The G3's stock launcher does suck but then again almost all stock skinned ones do except the sense 6 one HTC's phones. (Vanilla android doesn't count) LG made the menus simple without super bloated nonsense that is the S5. My wife's S5 has so many options that are pointless like a baby monitor. The menu on the S5 also has everything in odd places instead of 4 simple tabs there are 6 in the tab view, or 20ish icons in that view. I'm not new to Android, but I don't like overly complicated UIs for the sake of being overly complicated.

I was a huge Samsung Note fan until I got my G3. The physical buttons kill the experience of Android in my opinion and the lack of ergonomics can get annoying. I'm an engineering student and I do math and write all day, holding a boxy phone is not what I want to do after a long day. The G3 has good contours which make it really easy to hold for the 5.5in screen size. It all boils down to preference and mine is the G3.

Its faster than my wife's S5 even when it was stock and but rooted. The Samsung camera app always crashes on her phone and it can't focus on anything half of the time which gets annoying. It does take excellent pictures when it works but that's about it. If the G3 were waterproof it would true my be perfect in my opinion. The G3 with my case is also the size of my wife's S5 with her case on it. It's funny how the two are the be size with the save for of case when the G3 should be bigger but it's not.

I attached and old picture I took of it next got he S5 and its really not that big. To each their own but I love my LG G3 this is my second one after I dropped my F400S off my balcony and I couldn't be happier.

paniro187

Sep 19, 2010
Won't lie I'm missing my m8 it was a much more refined device effectually on the software front

Edit I'm taking it back as a matter of fact. If this boot loader stays locked lg will take their sweet ass time bringing android L

Last edited:

bolillo

Won't lie I'm missing my m8 it was a much more refined device effectually on the software front

Edit I'm taking it back as a matter of fact. If this boot loader stays locked lg will take their sweet ass time bringing android L

Well idk if it will stay locked but i have a feeling given the popularity of the phone and the info that we have on the bootloader unlock thread that probably and realistically we will have it before Christmas, even though they say that it might be ready for next month.

paniro187

Sep 19, 2010
Well idk if it will stay locked but i have a feeling given the popularity of the phone and the info that we have on the bootloader unlock thread that probably and realistically we will have it before Christmas, even though they say that it might be ready for next month.

If it happens then ill come back I'm not holding my breath. The s4 had more sales than this phone and it's still locked. I took it back earlier today, back on the m8 now , snappy rooted updates like a mofo and unlocked bootloader

Last edited:

insomni

Apr 26, 2013
There's a YouTube vid showing very impressive water resistance of the G3. For some reason LG doesn't tout it.

If the G3 survived being submerged in water it was an experience based on pure luck. LG will never tout water resistant because it has none. The back cover offers 0 protection to the battery, Sim card and SD slot. The circuitry below is open to the back with actual holes. Water has full reign to enter the phone at numerous locations, not to mention the vulnerable Micro USB port. The Galaxy s5 achieves water resistance only by sealing the screen, and circuitry with adhesive, the back cover protects the battery and card slots with a gasket and the charging port has a water tight cover.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll try to be unbiased.

I went back to the m8 after using the g3 for a week because the m8 is way smoother
    Woowwwwww dude I don't know what to say to this other than its completely false. Its a fact that the M8 is noticeably and in some cases significantly smoother than the G3. But I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

That's no lie at all! MY g3 performs just as smooth as my m8 and s5 did! Matter of fact my m8 lagged more than the g3!

Which is why I was asking what lag are y'all seeing?

My m8 lagged at times every android phone I've ever had lag from time to time! But the most lagged out of the three in this order

S5
    M8
    G3

My g3 is fast smooth and all this major lag everybody complaining about I'm not seeing! Even still using the stock launcher and I'm not seeing this MAJOR LAG everybody is complaining about!
    What I'm tired of hearing is this lag!!!! Where is this lag that's so bad???? Had a m8 for couple of days and s5 and the g3 works flies just like the others!
    That's a lie!!! You cannot possibly tell me that the G3 performs as smoothly as the M8.