[Q] Ugh no NVFlash, is there?

Search This thread

Blades

Aug 11, 2008
Has anyone been successful in booting into APX/NVFlash mode on this? I have one ordered and already have a little buyers remorse.. blobs and all that junk, its rather pathetic. No OC kernel either, eh? Coming from a 1.7ghz gtab, this might be unusable! Well, we'll see. Are there any custom branches of the asus source? Maybe we can get a few things working like gpu/cpu oc to t25 standards.

lordgodgeneral

Dec 14, 2010
Currently nvflash is locked. Overclocked kernals are coming i've heard. Alot of the problems with really custom stuff is the lack of source code.

Blades

Aug 11, 2008
Woops lost my intended post.. was something to the tune of how nvflash has saved many gtabs from being bricked.. seriously, its a great tool. I'm sure its a Google thing, maybe one of their Honeycomb decrees. Probably thinking of how nvflash and Windows 8 would come into play..

Google is really getting on my nerves... they're starting to get the "we know better than you, so here" attitude that Apple has. Catch the diss on Microsoft, regarding their 'torture' of users by letting them manage things? Ugh. Google can't play the bash ms card, its ****ing old. Can't believe I bought another tegra tab.. who wants?

spinkick

Apr 26, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Woops lost my intended post.. was something to the tune of how nvflash has saved many gtabs from being bricked.. seriously, its a great tool. I'm sure its a Google thing, maybe one of their Honeycomb decrees. Probably thinking of how nvflash and Windows 8 would come into play..

Google is really getting on my nerves... they're starting to get the "we know better than you, so here" attitude that Apple has. Catch the diss on Microsoft, regarding their 'torture' of users by letting them manage things? Ugh. Google can't play the bash ms card, its ****ing old. Can't believe I bought another tegra tab.. who wants?

I think its the company that makes the device that is blocking nvflash not google.

husker91

Is your rant finished? Maybe you should have read up a little before purchasing this wonderful tablet. So you dont want a tegra tab huh? Whats left to choose from? Ipad? GL

Blades

Aug 11, 2008
Is your rant finished? Maybe you should have read up a little before purchasing this wonderful tablet. So you dont want a tegra tab huh? Whats left to choose from? Ipad? GL

I said I can't believe I bought another Tehran tab. Key word is another. Nvidia is starting to pull their antics with gb video decoding drivers for the harmony board. By antics, I mean what they've (and ATI) been doing with their linux video drivers - not supporting older hardware and not releasing source so consumers can create their own drivers for 'older' hardware - ie harmony based devices.

I might only have a use for an ipad as a dog toy/frisbee - I have a pitbull and a Dogo Argentino, itd be funny.

I was done with my rant.. but I suppose you prolonged it.

BTW: I did read up. I found no info on the issue of NVFlash. Have a Xoom, Gtab, and now one of these wonderful tablets. So far, the gtab is the most fun. Can the Asus get 4700 in quadrant? Do you see it ever being that fast? You're right about lack of alternatives, I suppose there is the Hardkernel odroids for someone like me, new device has a modular cpu board.

I'll be sure to at least try to get nvflash working. Does anyone have a bootloader they could post up? Usually viewing in a hex editor can give you a clue as to what the boot scenarios could be.

Last edited:

lordgodgeneral

Dec 14, 2010
There's a thread over in development where several people tried to get nvflash going. Their opinions in the end were nvflash is locked and you need some sort of signed key to use it. Any nvflash commands tried, failed.

It may be possible that in the future asus may provide the key, but from their response to the people who bricked via the ota update (just having them rma the device), it doesn't seem like it.

Blades

Aug 11, 2008
You probably need a dev bootloader. This is based on the Ventana board, right? Another reason could be that the nvflash tool doesn't support ext* fs, but I doubt that. If Asus releases a tegra2 linux netbook, based on the same Ventana board, things could get better. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the development section

findmike

Jul 19, 2007
I know quadrant is pretty cool benchmarking tool but you might want to give this a try too. Grab a friend, load the same movie up on the Gtab and the Transformer, place both the devices three feet in front of you flat on a table and ask your friend which one is better.

I had to return my GTab when my girlfriend commented that having a tablet that can't actually be seen unless held at the right angle directly in front of you is rather useless.

The Transformer is a brand new tablet with an active, if somewhat still empty handed, community behind it. Out of the box though, using the default software, it's an entirely useable system that does exactly what I want it too (in my case quickly display photos, web browsing, youtubing and web surfing). I suspect three months from now it'll have some solid development work behind it since all of the alternatives have managed to overlook the importance of price point as well as innovation in their scheduled releases.

Bfitz26

Jun 3, 2011
layton
i just downloaded nvflash and just got my root was easy as pie rooted in literally in five minutes would have been 2 minutes but my computer is a bit slow let me know if you would like some links i got it to work