How to root htc chacha?

Search This thread

dvfk

May 5, 2010
z4root and universal root v1.6 beta 5 didn't work :( - now on to rooting via USB instead...

Tried Gingerbreak too - no luck. SuperOneClick is next.

Last edited:

Dubee24

Mar 23, 2011
San Francisco
I've tried superone click, gingerbreak ive been trying a couple different methods through adb no luck...which version of the hboot is on your device

adlx.xda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
can't we try to fastboot boot the trial recovery and get root from there? (I have not managed to get the phone recognized by fastboot yet... Any help? (I'm S-Off and HTC-n00b lol)

Tried and it doesn't work, the phone won't accept remote install :(.

So far I've tried also:
- psneuter: won't work
- gingerbreak: won't work
- RageAgainstTheCage: won't work

Anything else that could be tried?

I've seen an exploit to some new kernels (nelson): http://lwn.net/Articles/419141/, and I have tried to build it but I'm stuck with an error. Any hint?

nelson.c:151: warning: 'regparm' attribute directive ignored
nelson.c:152: warning: 'regparm' attribute directive ignored
nelson.c:158: warning: 'regparm' attribute directive ignored
nelson.c:171: warning: 'regparm' attribute directive ignored
nelson.c: In function 'main':
nelson.c:262: error: too many arguments to function 'clone'

qzfive

Aug 8, 2010
I am possibly getting a ChaCha in the next few days, and understand that it has not been rooted yet.

Has anyone tried using fre3vo (http://therootofallevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=120)? It was originally designed for the Sensation and Evo 3D, but with these instructions, it works with other devices (a few people have confirmed it working on the Desire Z (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15820128&postcount=21)), so it got me thinking: would this work with the ChaCha?

fre3vo is only temporary root, but it might open up possibilities for S-OFFing, etc. Anyone willing to follow those instructions and give fre3vo a try?

EDIT: forgot to link to fre3vo itself (derpderp), it should be attached to this post in .zip format

Attachments

• fre3vo.zip
    5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
I am possibly getting a ChaCha in the next few days, and understand that it has not been rooted yet.

Has anyone tried using fre3vo (http://therootofallevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=120)? It was originally designed for the Sensation and Evo 3D, but with these instructions, it works with other devices (a few people have confirmed it working on the Desire Z (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15820128&postcount=21)), so it got me thinking: would this work with the ChaCha?

fre3vo is only temporary root, but it might open up possibilities for S-OFFing, etc. Anyone willing to follow those instructions and give fre3vo a try?

EDIT: forgot to link to fre3vo itself (derpderp), it should be attached to this post in .zip format

Stock fr3vo won't work, no one tried using your link yet though.

qzfive

Aug 8, 2010
Stock fr3vo won't work, no one tried using your link yet though.

Yeah, the stock one I tried before on my Desire Z said that it's an unsupported handset, but with the one I attached to that post and the instructions I linked to, I'm able to get temp root (via adb shell) on it on Gingerbread, where all other exploits were fixed (rage/psneuter/etc). I hope this works on the ChaCha :p

dvfk

May 5, 2010
No luck.

I just tried unpacking the above fre3vo zip file - the app wasn't called .apk so I renamed it and tried opening it. "Error parsing the package."

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
No luck.

I just tried unpacking the above fre3vo zip file - the app wasn't called .apk so I renamed it and tried opening it. "Error parsing the package."

It's not an APK file, nor an Update.zip. They are binary programs without any Graphical User Interface and have to be run through the terminal, please read the instructions I provided below:

Extract Fre3vo.zip
open a command prompt and type in:
adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug
* Now, you should get a debug trace showing us scanning regions. If it doesn't, game over.

We're going to run this with different start and stop addresses...
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 10000000 -end 1FFFFFFF
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 20000000 -end 2FFFFFFF
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 30000000 -end 3FFFFFFF
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start F0000000 -end FFFFFFFF
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start E0000000 -end EFFFFFFF

Don't be surprised if the scan hangs, or the device spontaneously reboots. This is normal when doing blind memory scans. Just reboot the device, and start with the next scan.

Source

Top Liked Posts