Battery Drain during idle time

Search This thread

Quickfire

Jan 1, 2014
This problem only appeared for me when I upgraded to 4.4.3. 4.4.4 didn;t solve it too. I'm on stock ROM, rooted.

Basically instead of draining 2-3% over 8 hours of sleep time at overnight, it would drain about 16%. There are no wakelocks, and the battery monitor on Android doesn't reveal much... maybe Android System is draining more than usual but I can't be sure, and everything else looks normal. I really can't pinpoint the root of this.

What I do know is this - if I reboot the phone the problems goes away, for one or two days. And then for no apparent reason the phantom drain comes back. Only solution to it is to reboot every now and then. Very annoying. Anyone else has encountered this?

Zepius

Mar 29, 2011
you gave us no screenshots, logs or anything.

how can we help you determine the issue if you give us nothing?

Quickfire

Jan 1, 2014
you gave us no screenshots, logs or anything.

how can we help you determine the issue if you give us nothing?
Sorry about that. I'm attaching a few screenshots that hopefully give you a better idea of what's happening. Ignore the media player drain as that's just my Poweramp. As you can see it seems like all the Android processes (idle time, Android System, Mobile Standby) are just a bit higher for the high drain screenshot. They probably add up and result in a much higher overall drain.

Once I restart the phone the drain becomes normal again, but after one or two days the problem just inexplicably comes back.

high drain:
7abymy6y.jpg

ymubegej.jpg

normal drain:
resuny9e.jpg

byja3ysa.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quickfire

Jan 1, 2014
i have found Wakelock Detector to be great tool for me to see what uses batt when this happens to me

download it and run it for a day or two and see what is causing the cpu wake ups
I have it and better battery stats, both show no significant wake locks. In fact its awake for about 2-4% only.
I don't see any wifi activity, but delete these directories anyway:

/data/misc/wifi
/data/misc/dhcp

Reboot.
I don't have WiFi turned on. It's all on data...

Vlad_z

Mar 25, 2011
I am having the same issue periodically. And the ONLY solution to fix it (temporary) is to reboot. As far as I remember it was happened to me on 4.4.2, 4.4.3 and now on 4.4.4.

BBS shows nothing major. There are no rouge processes in memory (checked in terminal), CPU deep sleep is fine (another fact saying that this cannot be a wake-lock). LTE/GSM signal is good and consistent (same place all the time). I have tried an airplane mode when drain has started but it does not matter.

If drain has started - phone would loose about 20% overnight (8-9 hours) when completely idle. Normally it should be 2-3%.

So, the source of such high drain is more likely somewhere in hardware/drivers etc.
I cannot determine which part of the hardware is draining current - baseband processor, digitizer, busmux, DAC or else...

PS: so much for all that google gimmicks about battery life improvement in every new Android OS.

Speaking of which I find out that Google Services in 4.4.4 are always trying to connect to "mother ship" even if Data Connection is turned down.

Some google developer explained algorithm they use for framework communications like this: if connection is failed then double wait time and repeat until it reached max wait time around 30min.

Well, last night (7 hours), with data connection explicitly turned off through Android Settings UI, Google Framework attempted to report to "central office" 246 times! - max wait time was about 1 minute and half.

Clearly, developers of framework know nothing about Android Settings API and continue "pinging" - well, but this is another problem.

Reactions: tonyram57 and bblzd
D

Darth

100 cookies says its simply your poor signal.

Turn data off, not airplane mode, just data for awhile and i bet your drain is half what it is now.

Or get on WiFi.

You'll still get calls and texts with data off. During this test, toggle data on only when needed then off again.

See how that works.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

(This advice is for the opening poster)

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010

Turn data off, not airplane mode, just data for awhile and i bet your drain is half what it is now.

Or get on WiFi.

You'll still get calls and texts with data off. During this test, toggle data on only when needed then off again.

See how that works.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

^^ This.

Quickfire

Jan 1, 2014
I am having the same issue periodically. And the ONLY solution to fix it (temporary) is to reboot. As far as I remember it was happened to me on 4.4.2, 4.4.3 and now on 4.4.4.

BBS shows nothing major. There are no rouge processes in memory (checked in terminal), CPU deep sleep is fine (another fact saying that this cannot be a wake-lock). LTE/GSM signal is good and consistent (same place all the time). I have tried an airplane mode when drain has started but it does not matter.

If drain has started - phone would loose about 20% overnight (8-9 hours) when completely idle. Normally it should be 2-3%.

So, the source of such high drain is more likely somewhere in hardware/drivers etc.
I cannot determine which part of the hardware is draining current - baseband processor, digitizer, busmux, DAC or else...

PS: so much for all that google gimmicks about battery life improvement in every new Android OS.

Speaking of which I find out that Google Services in 4.4.4 are always trying to connect to "mother ship" even if Data Connection is turned down.

Some google developer explained algorithm they use for framework communications like this: if connection is failed then double wait time and repeat until it reached max wait time around 30min.

Well, last night (7 hours), with data connection explicitly turned off through Android Settings UI, Google Framework attempted to report to "central office" 246 times! - max wait time was about 1 minute and half.

Clearly, developers of framework know nothing about Android Settings API and continue "pinging" - well, but this is another problem.
sounds like my issue, except mine happens every other night. Only started happening since 4.4.3.

Or get on WiFi.

See how that works.

I tried that. Turned data off. It still happens. So you owe me 100 cookies!

tCC

Jan 8, 2005
Any news on this ?

Having the same annoying problem as well, normally it does not even drain 1% an hour while idle'ing and indeed sometimes (not always) a reboot does fix the problem.
Nothing to see with BBS or Wakelock detector :(

surrealjam

Apr 30, 2010
Birmingham
I am also getting this at the moment - I only noticed it since the 4.4.4 update. Overnight drainage is now in the region of 15% where it used to be around 5%.

I guess that isn't terrible but the idle time I got on this phone for the first few months was one of the great things. Hopefully a future update resolves it.

D

Darth

99.9 percent chance its location services. It seems to get worse every update. Try a night with it off.

If its already off. Try turning Google now, sync and put it in airplane mode.

If it is good....its one of the above. If its still bad.... Its a rogue app. A bit harder to track down.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

I'm on 4.4.4 with all that off, and my drain is about 0.5 percent per hour....not in airplane mode.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Actually... I do have sync on for gmail, contacts and calendar.

tCC

Jan 8, 2005
We already tried all standard suggestions like the ones you're telling us again, the problem is there's a drain somewhere we cannot find.
4.4.3 had probs as well, in the beginning with 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 (don't know exactly) it was draining only <1%/hour (even with a lot of apps installed, I've greenified them)

D

Darth

We already tried all standard suggestions like the ones you're telling us again, the problem is there's a drain somewhere we cannot find.
4.4.3 had probs as well, in the beginning with 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 (don't know exactly) it was draining only <1%/hour (even with a lot of apps installed, I've greenified them)
Then its app related, or possibly carrier. Or I suppose the old "not all devices are equal.". And my reason for saying this is that many, many people still have perfectly good battery life and standby drain.

All those with the issue could have the same app or apps.

Whenever a battery issue seems unfixable....my advice is always do a complete wipe (except internal SD) and reflash firmware. Then go a day, or two and see how it is. If it seems OK....then start installing your apps...but only like 5 a day. So if your battery suddenly isn't good again, you know its one of the last group of apps you installed.

I'm sorry, but I just can't possibly imagine its just Android draining the phone. If it were like that, reports would be pouring in about this. And they aren't. :)

Yes, it can be work to track down a tough battery issue. But its do that work and practice patience.... Or go back to the last Nandroid version that was OK.... And stay on it. Or live with the drain. For me the first option seems most logical. Spend the effort and track down the issue until its solved.

But, to each their own. No one can force anyone to do anything. :)

Good luck!!! ?

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Oh....and after flashing firmware...turn off every feature. Go one day like that and no apps installed. Day 2....try services you like on. Day 3....start installing apps a few at a time each day.

Just wanted to be clear. When/if battery goes bad....you know its whatever you just did.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'd check that the GPS isn't running. I noticed on the battery screen that a single use of GPS - and it keeps on running even AFTER you have switched off ALL location services. It doesn't actually get switched off until you reboot. (using 4.4.4.)
    Last time I have this problem (unexplained idle battery drain) after using camera...
    Previous times I've got it after using Yamaha app to control my receiver through WiFi...

Go, figure. Both times, after discovering high current drain when phone is in idle I checked on what was in memory and how CPU deep sleep time and there was no problem on that department.

Most likely some chip or part of SOC got stuck and were sucking power. Which cannot be determined by BBS or such apps. The ONLY way to reset this drain is to restart phone.

May be most people does not care about idle current drain of 3-4% per hour vs 0.3% per hour as it should as long as phone lasts a day and recharge it overnight anyway.
    Or may be they are in habit of rebooting phone I don't know.

But I am 99.9999% convinced that this is the firmware issue, failing to control power on SOC which occurs intermittently based on some still unknown usage/configuration pattern.
    Running 4.4.2's radio (radio-hammerhead-m8974a-1.0.25.0.23.img) the last couple of days and got very good results, drain is back to 0,5%/hour when idle'ing.

The bad thing is it did drain once, the same day I've flashed the firmware.

Since that day it's running great.

Hope to update this info in a while.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app