What's needed to work on the Bootloader

Search This thread

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
I have the ATT S4 and it came with a locked bootloader as well. Has it EVER been cracked yet? So I have to agree I believe it will NEVER be cracked and a bubble is bursting.

The ATT S4 had great Dev support in the beginning and a bypass called LOKI was used to bypass the locked bootloader. It still did NOT UNLOCK the bootloader. Then that exploit was patched quickly. Since then even with a few devs working on the bootloader unlock it was never found.

Now YES it "MAY" be possible to get a workaround like Safestrap that will allow flashing ONLY tw based Roms and modems. But NEVER kernels, aosp/cm/AOKP based Roms NEVER EVER. I "hope I can eat my words here" but I doubt it.

I have had ALL four ATT Galaxy Series phones. Luckily enough I got my 32Gb S4 while Loki was still available. But with the S4 I saw the writing on the wall. If you were around enough during the S4 you would have been able to feel the dev support dropping like a brick for Roms and such. It killed the momentum for making Roms (UNLESS You were able to use LOKI). Which still allows for some pretty good Roms of ANYTHING.

So thinking further ahead, even with a Safestrap type recovery the dev support will be very little to come by. Why would dev's even bother making Roms if they have to be Touchwiz based only. Have to worry about each incremental firmware update to patch safestrap versions previously used.
Again look at the NEWEST ATT S4 firmware that cannot even use safestrap. The only way is to flash the older system to the phone, then apply safestrap, then reapply the newer firmware. I believe that workaround has also been closed already on the S5.

I am REALLY hoping the S5 T-Mobile 32Gb comes out soon. That is the only way I will be moving away from my Loki'd S4...

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

Reactions: shortydoggg

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
I have the ATT S4 and it came with a locked bootloader as well. Has it EVER been cracked yet? So I have to agree I believe it will NEVER be cracked and a bubble is bursting.

The ATT S4 had great Dev support in the beginning and a bypass called LOKI was used to bypass the locked bootloader. It still did NOT UNLOCK the bootloader. Then that exploit was patched quickly. Since then even with a few devs working on the bootloader unlock it was never found.

Now YES it "MAY" be possible to get a workaround like Safestrap that will allow flashing ONLY tw based Roms and modems. But NEVER kernels, aosp/cm/AOKP based Roms NEVER EVER. I "hope I can eat my words here" but I doubt it.

I have had ALL four ATT Galaxy Series phones. Luckily enough I got my 32Gb S4 while Loki was still available. But with the S4 I saw the writing on the wall. If you were around enough during the S4 you would have been able to feel the dev support dropping like a brick for Roms and such. It killed the momentum for making Roms (UNLESS You were able to use LOKI). Which still allows for some pretty good Roms of ANYTHING.

So thinking further ahead, even with a Safestrap type recovery the dev support will be very little to come by. Why would dev's even bother making Roms if they have to be Touchwiz based only. Have to worry about each incremental firmware update to patch safestrap versions previously used.
Again look at the NEWEST ATT S4 firmware that cannot even use safestrap. The only way is to flash the older system to the phone, then apply safestrap, then reapply the newer firmware. I believe that workaround has also been closed already on the S5.

I am REALLY hoping the S5 T-Mobile 32Gb comes out soon. That is the only way I will be moving away from my Loki'd S4...

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

Well said. This is pretty much all anyone needs to know about the current state of things. In my opinion, the best chance for bootloader unlock is if Samsung starts a program like HTC and lets people unlock the bootloader if they agree to void the warranty, and honestly, I don't see Samsung going that route. They don't have any need to do so from their perspective. So, never say never, but I think people should be realistic about the situation. I do think there will be potential for limited mods such as Xposed or framework mods when / if root is achieved, but until then, very little can be done and it is doubtful that actual "ROMs" will ever be available for flashing.

Last edited:

karmuh

Jan 15, 2014
Orange County, NY
Well said. This is pretty much all anyone needs to know about the current state of things. In my opinion, the best chance for bootloader unlock is if Samsung starts a program like HTC and lets people unlock the bootloader if they agree to void the warranty, and honestly, I don't see Samsung going that route. They don't have any need to do so from their perspective. So, never say never, but I think people should be realistic about the situation. I do think there will be potential for limited mods such as Xposed or framework mods when / if root is achieved, but until then, very little can be done and it is doubtful that actual "ROMs" will ever be available for flashing.

I would be happy with just the ability to root. Custom ROMs seem like a waste of time to me. I would have no need for their uses, especially considering they will take away some of the very useful Touchwiz features. Just give me root so I can change some minor things and I'll be happy...but that's just me.

Either way, I'm happy with my purchase. You can already do quite a lot without root, so I can't really complain. Root will certainly happen, just a matter of time. As for unlocking the bootloader, yeah...that probably will never happen, unless Samsung goes the HTC route.

Reactions: surf1

VashTS

Dec 4, 2011
I would be happy with just the ability to root. Custom ROMs seem like a waste of time to me. I would have no need for their uses, especially considering they will take away some of the very useful Touchwiz features. Just give me root so I can change some minor things and I'll be happy...but that's just me.

Either way, I'm happy with my purchase. You can already do quite a lot without root, so I can't really complain. Root will certainly happen, just a matter of time. As for unlocking the bootloader, yeah...that probably will never happen, unless Samsung goes the HTC route.

I do agree with this. As a long time Samsung user and rom flasher, I'm tired of keeping up! So many times did I just flash along and then bam no gps/no bluetooth/crazy ****.

Being on a stable factory rom is not the worst thing in the world and I'm finally coming to this conclusion. I just need root to remove the bloatware and I'm happy. also xposed and better battery stats would be nice.

my only gripe is the lock screen, i want it like it used to be on CM11 on my SIII. I've been looking for an alternative but haven't found one that works good for me yet.

Reactions: surf1 and karmuh

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl
I do agree with this. As a long time Samsung user and rom flasher, I'm tired of keeping up! So many times did I just flash along and then bam no gps/no bluetooth/crazy ****.

Being on a stable factory rom is not the worst thing in the world and I'm finally coming to this conclusion. I just need root to remove the bloatware and I'm happy. also xposed and better battery stats would be nice.

my only gripe is the lock screen, i want it like it used to be on CM11 on my SIII. I've been looking for an alternative but haven't found one that works good for me yet.
This X2! I flashed so many roms on my S2, only one that ever worked solid was Shostocks work on the i777 (which was touchwhiz based), sure I had some hiccups but nowhere near the other roms. Every other rom I tried, updates like crazy brb have to reflash every few days, brb gps doesn't work, brb bluetooth not working right, brb signal strength down, brb phone rebooting itself, brb apps/phone crashing, brb battery life not near the TW based rom. I get why some like other roms, but the TW based roms are smooth, stable, and hardly ever have a glitch in comparison. I actually use my phone, not one of the types that just tinkers with and hardly uses the phone for calls or work or anything like so many on here say lol, I need my phone to "work". So a situation like safestrap and TW based is fine with me.

But root I would like more then ability to flash roms

Reactions: karmuh

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
This X2! I flashed so many roms on my S2, only one that ever worked solid was Shostocks work on the i777 (which was touchwhiz based), sure I had some hiccups but nowhere near the other roms. Every other rom I tried, updates like crazy brb have to reflash every few days, brb gps doesn't work, brb bluetooth not working right, brb signal strength down, brb phone rebooting itself, brb apps/phone crashing, brb battery life not near the TW based rom. I get why some like other roms, but the TW based roms are smooth, stable, and hardly ever have a glitch in comparison. I actually use my phone, not one of the types that just tinkers with and hardly uses the phone for calls or work or anything like so many on here say lol, I need my phone to "work". So a situation like safestrap and TW based is fine with me.

But root I would like more then ability to flash roms

Oh the i777... now that was a great phone. PERFECT form factor IMO. I loved it. That was my first real samsung phone too.

Reactions: surf1

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl
Oh the i777... now that was a great phone. PERFECT form factor IMO. I loved it. That was my first real samsung phone too.
I loved mine, was a great size and phone in general, especially rooted on shostock, I would have pry kept it for at least another year and see what gets released next year and then still keep it as backup. Unfortuntley I forgot it was in my pocket and jumped off the boat :eek: . So many roms etc in the Dev forum to use too and some Devs are still updating threads and this phone is 3 years old now. That was the phone that finally convinced me to move away from Apple and never looked back, honestly never cared for Android before that point even trying different phones out.

Last edited:

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
Well to be fair, if you took the best developers and hardware/software hackers in the world and put them in a room with an amazing salary.. it would be hacked..

So lets not say that its impossible. It is just extremely difficult and beyond the scope of the few developers (if any) that are still around trying to crack into it. The problem is that there aren't that many people that just want to sit around trying to figure out a way to make it work, they would rather move to different phones and carriers instead, because its just overall easier.

I disagree I think the challenge
Gives motivation, we will have root soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: seemles
Root would be awesome, but I feel like the S5 might even have to be jtaged first :-/ finding a physical exploit to bypass the bootloader might be easier. Or injecting false positives like firmware hacked on xbox 360 dvd drives to enable backups. The security on the 360 is impresive to say the least. Just my 2 cents.
There are devs here on xda who have the right equipment to jtag. However I cant remember names at the moment.

Sent from Galaxy S5 in bootloader Prison

omgbossis21

Jul 7, 2013
arma
I would be interested in those files if you can host them somewhere so I can reverse engineer them. This is however my first Samsung so I need to do a lot of research :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yep, hate to burst anyone's bubble who has a G900A, but it's not going to happen... EVER. Options are to hold out for a developer edition phone from Samsung or get a T-mobile version... which is exactly the same thing minus the restrictions. Or if you are pissed at AT&T, just find another carrier. Maybe if there was enough churn from this, they would stop doing it.

The s5 will get root same as the s4 did. People just need to be patient. There is definitely a dev that is working to unlock this thing. Everyone said the same thing about the s4 and now look

What are we needing in order to figure out how to unlock or bypass the AT&T Bootloader?

I downloaded the stock files and have the aboot.mbn and the sbl1/sdi.mdn files. I have never worked on bootloader files before, but have some experience modding kernel and ROM level code.

This may be ignorant on my part - but since we have the files, couldn't we open and manipulate the code that is currently restricting 3rd party recoveries, kernels and ROMS?

What is needed? And/or, could we not utilize the modified bootloaders from another device with similar architecture? Perhaps like the Note 3 or even the S4; not to mention the T-Mobile S5? Since the T-Mobile and AT&T versions of all Samsung phones are almost identical, I would assume that would be the easist route - at least to help determine the differences that are restricting our device.....

Let me know if anyone needs these files or has info on what to look for within them.... I'm happy to mod anything on my end.

Thanks !
    Yep, hate to burst anyone's bubble who has a G900A, but it's not going to happen... EVER. Options are to hold out for a developer edition phone from Samsung or get a T-mobile version... which is exactly the same thing minus the restrictions. Or if you are pissed at AT&T, just find another carrier. Maybe if there was enough churn from this, they would stop doing it.

People like you make me laugh. Not even 2 weeks after release and you're already declaring the device will NEVER get root. Lol.
    Well to be fair, if you took the best developers and hardware/software hackers in the world and put them in a room with an amazing salary.. it would be hacked..

So lets not say that its impossible. It is just extremely difficult and beyond the scope of the few developers (if any) that are still around trying to crack into it. The problem is that there aren't that many people that just want to sit around trying to figure out a way to make it work, they would rather move to different phones and carriers instead, because its just overall easier.

I disagree I think the challenge
    Gives motivation, we will have root soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk