brightness issue and custom ROM's and which CM build to use?

Search This thread

thegrantonstarcause

Jun 7, 2010
Hi,

I'm about to buy a LG G Pad 8.3 and plan to root it and flash CM11 right away. I've read in a few places that there is a brightness issue with custom ROM's but haven't seen a clear way to avoid it or fix it (other than perhaps flashing stock reflashing CM?). I've also seen various posts suggesting fixes to this in the latest CM builds and also a custom kernel that could be used (AIC?). So which, CM build should I use (official, infected) and can anyone please explain how to avoid the low brightness issue?

Thankyou!

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Hi,

I'm about to buy a LG G Pad 8.3 and plan to root it and flash CM11 right away. I've read in a few places that there is a brightness issue with custom ROM's but haven't seen a clear way to avoid it or fix it (other than perhaps flashing stock reflashing CM?). I've also seen various posts suggesting fixes to this in the latest CM builds and also a custom kernel that could be used (AIC?). So which, CM build should I use (official, infected) and can anyone please explain how to avoid the low brightness issue?

Thankyou!

Use whatever CM build you want. I don't know much about the other fix, I assume you mean when infected said he committed some change that is ROM side.

The other method is to pick whatever CM version you want(or other ROM for that matter). Use the AIC kernel installer and select custom ROM's when prompted. Then if you were on Stock LG 4.4.2 before you flashed CM you pick the 4.4.2 ROM, and if you were on Stock LG 4.2.2 before you flashed you pick the 4.2.2 ROM. 4.4.2 and 4.2.2 have nothing to do with CM version only which Stock LG ROM you started with.

ruibing

Sep 26, 2012
Hi,

Thankyou!

I think you are referring to a dimness issue when going to a custom rom from stock 4.4.2. Its related to the custom recovery not supporting soem changes to the partition or directory structure made by the LG update. Just make sure to update TWRP to 2.7.0.1 before flashing your custom rom.

Any rom will due. I'd advise sticking with the M-releases so you can get some stability and be able to do a monthly dirty flash. I've heard good things about infected's CM build.

Reactions: cam30era

vimesUK

Aug 18, 2007
Nr Manchester
I think you are referring to a dimness issue when going to a custom rom from stock 4.4.2. Its related to the custom recovery not supporting soem changes to the partition or directory structure made by the LG update. Just make sure to update TWRP to 2.7.0.1 before flashing your custom rom.

Any rom will due. I'd advise sticking with the M-releases so you can get some stability and be able to do a monthly dirty flash. I've heard good things about infected's CM build.

Ok I'll risk this question (I thought that I knew the answer)....

Brightness

I was on Stock 4.4.2. I had rooted the Pad and then ensured that the version of TWRP installed is 4.4.2-v500-TWRP_2.7.0.1-recovery.zip.

So I should be fine when installing Infected's build of the Slimkat ROM as it also is built on 4.4.2 and yet I can't see a thing when it first boots.

The screen is way too dim. Eventually when I work blind to get it to finish its set up the screen is still very dim. Booting back into recovery it is fine and bright. A reboot and it is really nice and bright for about ten seconds and then it will reduce a small amount but placing into standby and then back on again and it is perfect.
It will remain perfect until I need to reboot it and then it will dim slightly until I place it into standby and then back on again and then it is absolutely perfect.

So what am I missing with the version of TWRP I have installed over that of the stock 4.4.2 UK OTA ROM and using any custom ROM based on 4.4.2...?

Thanks

ruibing

Sep 26, 2012

Brightness

I was on Stock 4.4.2. I had rooted the Pad and then ensured that the version of TWRP installed is 4.4.2-v500-TWRP_2.7.0.1-recovery.zip.

So I should be fine when installing Infected's build of the Slimkat ROM as it also is built on 4.4.2 and yet I can't see a thing when it first boots.

The screen is way too dim. Eventually when I work blind to get it to finish its set up the screen is still very dim. Booting back into recovery it is fine and bright. A reboot and it is really nice and bright for about ten seconds and then it will reduce a small amount but placing into standby and then back on again and it is perfect.
It will remain perfect until I need to reboot it and then it will dim slightly until I place it into standby and then back on again and then it is absolutely perfect.

So what am I missing with the version of TWRP I have installed over that of the stock 4.4.2 UK OTA ROM and using any custom ROM based on 4.4.2...?

Thanks

From what I can understand, TWRP 2.7.0.1 should have fixed that startup dimness issue (reference: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52019098&postcount=343).

Otherwise, you can try flashing back to 4.2 stock rom before flashing to a custom rom (reference: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52564158&postcount=360).

vimesUK

Aug 18, 2007
Nr Manchester
From what I can understand, TWRP 2.7.0.1 should have fixed that startup dimness issue (reference: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52019098&postcount=343).

Otherwise, you can try flashing back to 4.2 stock rom before flashing to a custom rom (reference: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52564158&postcount=360).

I understood that as well but now get the impression that other influences could be a contributory cause. In the thread of Infected's SlimKat's ROM he had noted some build issues which could well have caused that, as others had noted it, and so compiled another build. One other who had noted it had flashed back to 4.2 and used 2.7.0.0 of TWRP and yet still got the issue.

muiriddin

Feb 25, 2013
Mid-Atlantic

I understood that as well but now get the impression that other influences could be a contributory cause. In the thread of Infected's SlimKat's ROM he had noted some build issues which could well have caused that, as others had noted it, and so compiled another build. One other who had noted it had flashed back to 4.2 and used 2.7.0.0 of TWRP and yet still got the issue.

I was fighting a dimness issue on the latest Mahdi last weekend and went back to stock rooted because of it. Something definitely has changed since I took the 4.4.2 stock update from LG. I did not try going all the way back to 4.2 as an alternative. I do know that the issue is worked around in the TWRP with 2.7.0.1, however once I boot into Mahdi everything is very dim until I change the brightness slider.

In addition when I would change the brightness slider (in mahdi) the rate at which the screen would change was dramatically different from previously. Something in the 4.4.2 update has changed the way brightness works on the V500. I'm wondering if it is related to the fix that made the 7 led lights go away for so many (including me) on 4.4.2. I can say that it was annoying enough for me to revert to stock and simply run stock and rooted again...

IBJamon

Feb 25, 2011
LG V60 ThinQ
I also noticed, with two or three different custom ROMs that supposedly had the brightness fix in there (AICP and Infected's CM nightly from the 21st) they both booted up with the backlight basically off. When scrolling the brightness meter, only the last 5th or so was usable, and approximately equivalent to the whole meter in stock. I went back to stock for that and other reasons, but I may try it again soon, especially if someone has a suggestion... I am leery of trying to go to 4.2.2 since I had such bad luck flashing LRS and could only get recovery 2.7.0.1 working properly.

vimesUK

Aug 18, 2007
Nr Manchester
I don't really like to draw comfort from other peoples issues as noted but I'm kinda glad that at least the methodology I was applying when I installed these custom ROM's was ok. Also the version of TWRP was applicable for the version of KK being used, to go with the bootloader, I guess.

What is being described since my last comment is typical also of what I'm seeing.

I'm tempted to just go back to stock KK, at least the full and complete range of brightness control works without issue.

IBJamon

Feb 25, 2011
LG V60 ThinQ
I ended up biting the bullet, and found a TWRP 2.6.3.2 recovery that worked properly, though it is still incredibly dim brightness-wise. But now I was able to install LRS G Pad, which is stock based so it doesn't have the brightness issues... but hey, at least it's a custom ROM, right? ;)

Jhon998

Nov 27, 2013
UK - Live in UAE
I ended up biting the bullet, and found a TWRP 2.6.3.2 recovery that worked properly, though it is still incredibly dim brightness-wise. But now I was able to install LRS G Pad, which is stock based so it doesn't have the brightness issues... but hey, at least it's a custom ROM, right? ;)
No, it is not in custom ROM section, but a stock based that give the speed of AOSP into stock-like ROM, so it is the best choice for every device out there, plus, you can install some kernels that's made for stock...

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Bill_windows

Sep 10, 2013
i got the same problem but i found a way to fix it,sort of.When my rom its booting the backlight is low,i installed the lux brightness app,i press the power button one time and the tablet sleeps,when it comes back i got full backlight.It stays full until reboot,in fact i will never do a reboot.Try that maybe fix your problem

Bill_windows

Sep 10, 2013
Fix that

I found a fix for that,let the ROM boot and then press the brightness setting to full,press the power button to go to sleep and then press to wake up,that work for me,I can use any custom rom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Brightness

Thanks

Hi,

Thankyou!