Android l & touchwiz

Search This thread

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
How would that even work?? Anyone ever put thought into that... Like how would it override the google's new animations/transitions?? Do you think this is where Samsung/touchwiz throws in the towel with updates and just goes straight to Tizen?? I mean that is what they did with their galaxy gear2 went straight to tizen...?
What do you guys think??

Sparatan117

Oct 5, 2009
South Carolina
How would that even work?? Anyone ever put thought into that... Like how would it override the google's new animations/transitions?? Do you think this is where Samsung/touchwiz throws in the towel with updates and just goes straight to Tizen?? I mean that is what they did with their galaxy gear2 went straight to tizen...?
What do you guys think??

I was wondering about this too. The theming for Google apps seem to be pretty much self contained now, and touchwiz for the most part wouldn't be needed... even the new dialer looked beautiful ... as much as I love the colors of the S5, I kinda like Android's theming better...

I hope we can get a clean port over that's fast and smooth... or maybe Samsung could release the system dump that had the drivers without Touchwiz ... I know I know but a man can dream :eek:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
What are you guys trying to get at? Samsung gets the android source code directly from Google. They can change anything and everything they wish. All the way down to lib files and .so binaries. TouchWiz is simply a launcher.

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
I wish it was just a launcher. Then settings/dialer/messaging /contacts wouldn't look like that... So unfortunately it's not just a launcher.... ?

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I wish it was just a launcher. Then settings/dialer/messaging /contacts wouldn't look like that... So unfortunately it's not just a launcher.... ?

Yes. TouchWiz is just a launcher. The stuff you are seeing in those apps is not TouchWiz related. It is the Samsung THEME you are seeing. And they as stated before, they can do whatever they want with it. So long as Android in general remains open source.

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
Yeah but the skins are going to cover All animations and transitions... Touch wiz is a skin over android..

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Yeah but the skins are going to cover All animations and transitions... Touch wiz is a skin over android..

Yeah. Just like when Samsung updated GB to ICS, there was hardly any difference. When you have a skin like TW on top of android, that's what you get. Even LG's UI. The multitasking UI doesn't look remotely similar to stock 4.4.

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
What are you guys trying to get at? Samsung gets the android source code directly from Google. They can change anything and everything they wish. All the way down to lib files and .so binaries. TouchWiz is simply a launcher.

TouchWiz is just a launcher? lol, you can't be serious. TouchWiz is everywhere EVERYWHERE on Sammy phones, so to say it's "just a launcher" is just idiotic....

Last edited:
Reactions: MultiLockOn

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
TouchWiz is just a launcher? lol, you can't be serious. TouchWiz is everywhere is EVERYWHERE on Sammy phones, so to say it's "just a launcher" is just idiotic....
ejy8u2av.jpg

Reactions: veritasaequita

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
TouchWiz is just a launcher? lol, you can't be serious. TouchWiz is everywhere EVERYWHERE on Sammy phones, so to say it's "just a launcher" is just idiotic....

I disagree but okay. TouchWiz might be interpreted to people as a theme. But its mainly a launcher. You can delete the TouchWiz launcher and still have a fully functional phone. LG Modifies their settings apks and other apks with their own theme. So i consider TouchWiz to be a launcher and the rest of it to be a Samsung Theme. But to each their own i guess.

Besides, this thread was going nowhere so i was trying to figure out what the point of this thread was.

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
I disagree but okay. TouchWiz might be interpreted to people as a theme. But its mainly a launcher. You can delete the TouchWiz launcher and still have a fully functional phone. LG Modifies their settings apks and other apks with their own theme. So i consider TouchWiz to be a launcher and the rest of it to be a Samsung Theme. But to each their own i guess.

Besides, this thread was going nowhere so i was trying to figure out what the point of this thread was.

Go ask an actual Dev if TouchWiz is just a launcher and they will laugh at you. It is EVERYWHERE in the code dude.... don't get how you don't understand that. It is in the settings, phone app, statusbar, lockscreen, notification shade, camera, etc.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Go ask an actual Dev if TouchWiz is just a launcher and they will laugh at you. It is EVERYWHERE in the code dude.... don't get how you don't understand that. It is in the settings, phone app, statusbar, lockscreen, notification shade, camera, etc.

Okay i guess that was too broad a statement saying it was just a launcher. But to me, it mainly is a launcher. The rest is just a theme/skin put on by Samsung the same that LG does. I seriously didn't understand what the OP was getting at with "Android L and TouchWiz" they will simply coexist. Samsung will apply their themes and animations over top of the default ones because that is their trademark.

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
Okay i guess that was too broad a statement saying it was just a launcher. But to me, it mainly is a launcher. The rest is just a theme/skin put on by Samsung the same that LG does. I seriously didn't understand what the OP was getting at with "Android L and TouchWiz" they will simply coexist. Samsung will apply their themes and animations over top of the default ones because that is their trademark.

How did you not understand? He was wondering if, for example, the new lockscreen notifications and notification shade would make it's way to our phone, or material design. Or if Samsung would make their own version of L and do it their way. Simple question, not so simple answer.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
How did you not understand? He was wondering if, for example, the new lockscreen notifications and notification shade would make it's way to our phone, or material design. Or if Samsung would make their own version of L and do it their way. Simple question, not so simple answer.

Well naturally I would assume Samsung will change it. But yes not so simple an answer. I hope they don't change things too much like they did with our phones for the lock screen Widgets.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

MultiLockOn

Jan 14, 2012
The same thing that will happen at the release of every new version of android. Google will show a beautiful simplified and sleek version of android and then Samsung will ship it with their skin over it effectively making any improvements Google made negligible.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Free mobile app

CurbThePain

Ok guys to put all your worries to rest. Samsung will almost certainly not give up on android. Their going to most likely strip android to the basics again and theme everything from the ground up. Just like last time, the time before that, the time before that, etc. Whenever a major upgrade came out they just went with it. All android l is a 3rd coordinate in the os for depth, new re-aamped animations and a new api level. It's nothing for the tons and tons of devs and designers at samsung to take on. Give it time and they will probably release their version of android l. And no, touchwiz is not just a launcher, it's a launcher, a whole new framework jar, and a whole new system ui. Also take into account what they've done to the settings. Tabs, a grid, more options all of it. It's not that easy to build everything from the ground up but it will be done.

Last edited:

thachosenone

Dec 20, 2010
You do realize that Samsung put things in their Touchwiz skin that was later adopted by stock android, right?

E.g. brightness slider in notification shade, quick toggles in notification shade, messaging popups, etc.

I'm sure multi window is on its way to stock android as well.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ddizzy81

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TouchWiz is just a launcher? lol, you can't be serious. TouchWiz is everywhere is EVERYWHERE on Sammy phones, so to say it's "just a launcher" is just idiotic....
    ejy8u2av.jpg
    Umm... lol? Was that supposed to be funny? I was just pointing out facts tough guy! :good:
    Lol that wasn't towards me that was between you and the guy that said it was just a launcher.. Lol but I'm on your side, is not a launcher.. It's all over the system
    You do realize that Samsung put things in their Touchwiz skin that was later adopted by stock android, right?

E.g. brightness slider in notification shade, quick toggles in notification shade, messaging popups, etc.

I'm sure multi window is on its way to stock android as well.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk