Help!Where can I find LG Fathom's ROM?

Search This thread

can90

Apr 3, 2010
Hi. I have a LG Fathom and I want to cook its ROM. However, to cook that I guess I need its ROM first. If you know there to find its ROM or if you know how to dump the ROM, can you please help me?
Thanks

xdapants

Mar 15, 2008
Install Microsoft's Network Monitor** (its free - netmon from now on, im lazy ) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en

Close all your browser windows, instant messenger, email, anything that uses the network should be stopped while you do this.

Start netmon, and tell it to capture all the traffic on your network card.

Then start the lg-updater program (get it from lg directly), and have it check for updates for your phone.

Go back to network monitor and stop capturing traffic when it's done.

You can then either browse through the captured traffic in netmon directly, and see if you can find a url yourself (it'll be an exe or kdz file) or send me the capture file and I'll find it. :)

**If you're familiar with wireshark you could use that instead of netmon.

Last edited:

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
Hey there can90. If you manage to get the base rom for the LG Fathom would you be able to post the link. There is some stuff in that phone that I'm sure others would love to port to other phones; including myself

xdapants

Mar 15, 2008
Can90 managed to get me a network capture to look through, unfortunately it doesn't contain a reference to the stock rom. I assume this is because LG just hasn't uploaded it yet.

For anyone that wants to play with URLs to try and find it, this is the relevant portion of the response to lg's updater app.

<model>LGVS750SS</model>
<suffix>AVRZDB</suffix>
<esn_date>20100420</esn_date>
<sw_version />
<sw_url />
<sw_locale_url>/</sw_locale_url>
<sw_recommand_uri>AIC/GLOBAL</sw_recommand_uri>
<app_version />
<app_url />
<cs_em_flag>N</cs_em_flag>
<cs_em_uri>N</cs_em_uri>
<chip_type />

normally sw_url and sw_locale_url would have what we want, but they're empty :(

da_reeseboy

Oct 30, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hopefuly I will be getting an LG Fathom tomorrow so I will try to help out here. Has anyone else had any luck snagging a complete ROM from LG's site yet?

xdapants

Mar 15, 2008
Nobody that I've been able to find. :(

I have discovered there is a seemingly different (from the generic one used for the expo) updater for verizon.

I haven't actually looked at it yet, but it's different from the usual B2CAppSetup and is labelled as 1.0.1.8 (the generic one offered up on lg's site is 1.0.1.7) ( http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/client/app/Verizon/LGMobileUpdate.exe )

I'm not sure which one can90 used (I've pm'd him to find out and try the other) but if you've got a phone and a few minutes you could try them both. :)

xdapants

Mar 15, 2008
Is it possible that the fathom update could be a cab file? so far I have this -
URL: /swdata/WEBSW/LGVS750/AVRZDB/VS750ZV5_06/VS750ZV5_06.SV5_06.P58006.R5.cab

Edit:
link here - http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdat.../VS750ZV5_06/VS750ZV5_06.SV5_06.P58006.R5.cab

Is this whats needed? Not trying to push for an answer, just updating and asking...

This doesn't appear to be a real cab file....not one that anything I've got recognizes anyways

Windows explorer opened it when others couldn't :confused:

At 130 megs it probably is what we're after, just in a new (to me at least) format. Did you try flashing it?

Running "strings" against it the first few turned up are
These are the contents of the cab file

VS750ZV5_06.SV5_06.P58006.R5.wdb
VS750_W_1_0_7_0.dll
VS750ZV5_06.SV5_06.P58006.R5.wdh

the wdh/wdb are not extensions I'm familiar with and I'd be more than a bit surprised if it was a ms works database. ;) I'll try and take a closer look at the file later today if nobody else has by then.

Edit: Apparently that's the same packaging the vs740 came in. From what I could find, people hadn't been able to find tools to successfully unpack the wdb.
Going through the flashing process should leave a .bin file in the usual lgmobileax location, not clear whether that's something we can unpack with existing tools either.

Last edited:

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
Hey there da_reeseboy. Great find on the firmware. Once quick question though that may help me get past where I am stuck extracting the firmware. What is the firmware version that is running on your fathom. If your not sure where to look, got to start menu/Settings/System/System Info and click on the plus box next to Version Info. What does it say after ROM?

da_reeseboy

Oct 30, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey there da_reeseboy. Great find on the firmware. Once quick question though that may help me get past where I am stuck extracting the firmware. What is the firmware version that is running on your fathom. If your not sure where to look, got to start menu/Settings/System/System Info and click on the plus box next to Version Info. What does it say after ROM?

I don't have a version info with a plus sign next to it but under software version it says VS750ZV4

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
Thanks da_reeseboy. I see that that is an older version than the cab from the updater program. I haven't had any success extracting the files. If someone with a fathom is willing to try this we may be able to get the rom. We would need someone to attempt to flash their phone to the new firmware. To do this run the updater program and connect your phone to your computer. Next, make sure you have an activesync connection and start update. It should place the phone in emergency download mode. The update program should start running, will detect your phone, download the new firmware and start loading it to your phone. This is where you will need to search for the rom. In win xp go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone

in win7:

C:\Users\All Users\LGMOBILEAX\Phone

The rom should be in that folder. Just simply copy it somewhere so that you have a copy of it after exiting the updater since the updater deletes the file after completion. After that we would just need you to upload the rom to a free file sever and post the link for someone to download.

da_reeseboy

Oct 30, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'll be happy to try it in the morning with some coffee lol. I'll post my findings.

Edit: Do we want to try to pull the current version on my phone first before flashing the update? Just as something to compare to?

da_reeseboy

Oct 30, 2008
Atlanta, GA
just an update - I dumped the stock rom, then tried to do the update but my computer is saying that it can't connect to the com port. I'm gonna try it on my laptop when I get back home (family was hungry so we went to get food). does anyone know if the update tool has an issue with win7 64 bit vs 32 bit?

Edit: home now, started update on my laptop - its working great so there must be an issue with 64 bit...

Last edited:

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
Hey da_reeseboy. Thanks for trying. i was hoping that the updater would unpack the wdb file. Guess it didn't. You had mentioned something about dumping the original version on your phone. Do you have a copy of the dump?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It was tricky, but Spocky was able to figure it out. I have built a custom ROM for my Fathom, but the method of flashing it back is rather tricky. Once I have some free time I will try and get it uploaded.

TrueG
    Yes, I know it :D
    Kitchen/tools/decrypted roms released here :)
    http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/lg-fathom/147499-kitchen-released.html
    Look through this thread. It seems to be where most of the active development is. There's a few ROMS that have been released, althought they're a bit bugged right now as I and the other cooks are currently busy with life.
    I know there's a few that were released, but they're just de-OEM'd right now. In the process of doing that, we broke a few things.
    i'll look into pulling out as much as I can and still getting a running ROM. I haven't fiddled with pulling out Titanium yet, but I'll see what can all go and make a good ROM still.