Ubuntu for tablets

Search This thread

Wilkinsss

Dec 26, 2012
This may be a stupid question which has a simple answer (no). But I thought I'd ask anyway.

When the ubuntu for tablets comes out on Thursday, will it be possible for Kindle Fire 2 users to flash it just like how cyanogenmod is flashed (TWRP) or the method described here? - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

I'm guessing not, but worth a try.

Feel free to use this for discussion.

Edit: Turns out Ubuntu mobile is utilising some of cyanogenmod's code - https://plus.google.com/u/0/115049428938715274412/posts/cYtVT2pb9ZT

Last edited:

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Well of course we would need to get the kernel integrated into it but yeah i think we could get it to work. I think it'd be amazing

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda app-developers app

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs

Wilkinsss

Dec 26, 2012
Looks like it will be possible after all. I'm quite excited to see what happens, please post updates here if you hear of any. I'd like to trial this ASAP.

Reactions: powerpoint45

agentfusion

Jun 27, 2009
Baltimore
wr3tch.com
OnePlus 9
Actually, I came to this forum after taking a long break from modding specifically to see if anyone had taken a look at the tablet version of Ubuntu along with the Ubuntu phone code released a few days ago. I'm in the process of setting up a machine as my modding environment right now so I can poke around a bit with both as soon as I manage to locate a copy of the tablet os.

Reactions: powerpoint45

agentfusion

Jun 27, 2009
Baltimore
wr3tch.com
OnePlus 9
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting

I dont have time to mess with it now but this is awesome

Holy crap. This is VERY possible. Canonical uses CM10 as their base for Android, so in theory any dual core device capable of running CM10 can run Ubuntu Touch Preview without much trouble. Tomorrow night, I'll give it a try and see if I can build it using their instructions and your CM-based rom (which is what I am already running on my KF2 anyway)

Reactions: mindmajick

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Holy crap. This is VERY possible. Canonical uses CM10 as their base for Android, so in theory any dual core device capable of running CM10 can run Ubuntu Touch Preview without much trouble. Tomorrow night, I'll give it a try and see if I can build it using their instructions and your CM-based rom (which is what I am already running on my KF2 anyway)

Yay! :)

I'm pretty sure hashcode or somebody has a kindle fire 1 project going too

Edit: quick cyberstalk confirms :D
https://mobile.twitter.com/Hashcode0f/status/304876191809150976
--
Sent from my Kindle Fire 2, CM 10.1

Last edited:

Wilkinsss

Dec 26, 2012

Nice, can't wait to see the results. Don't even care if it's sluggish and nothing works, still pure awesomeness.

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Not to be rude....but this IS the development section, and you asked a question :(

I legitimately believed that you were posting "Ubuntu for tablets" and not a question about it.

I'm not mad at you, like any other wrong post I wouldn't comment on, this just REALLY got my hopes up then I was just like "oh, I guess I'll wait then :("

Can't wait to see it soon thought hopefully. Looks like it will be fairly easy to do.

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Not to be rude....but this IS the development section, and you asked a question :(

I legitimately believed that you were posting "Ubuntu for tablets" and not a question about it.

I'm not mad at you, like any other wrong post I wouldn't comment on, this just REALLY got my hopes up then I was just like "oh, I guess I'll wait then :("

Can't wait to see it soon thought hopefully. Looks like it will be fairly easy to do.

Agree but honestly this is the best WRONG SECTION post by far. Lol

Wilkinsss

Dec 26, 2012

Haha my bad I guess :/
I actually did notice the box 'are you asking a question' but I felt it sort of needed to be posted here anyways since people who'd normally frequent this part of the forums may not venture into the Q&A section and I wanted their input.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Me too get on it guys a duel boot would be awesome as well .
    Looks like it will be possible after all. I'm quite excited to see what happens, please post updates here if you hear of any. I'd like to trial this ASAP.
    Actually, I came to this forum after taking a long break from modding specifically to see if anyone had taken a look at the tablet version of Ubuntu along with the Ubuntu phone code released a few days ago. I'm in the process of setting up a machine as my modding environment right now so I can poke around a bit with both as soon as I manage to locate a copy of the tablet os.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting

I dont have time to mess with it now but this is awesome