What reason is there to buy an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

Search This thread

Poecifer

Oct 24, 2012
I'm in the market to purchase a new tablet and I've dug around quite thoroughly in hopes of finding something that suits me. I started looking at a nexus device because Nexus devices are generally the best when it comes to Android (At least in terms of Software, Hardware I'll always go Motorola strictly for build quality.) I did my fair share of digging and stumbled into the Microsoft Store here in Austin not expecting much in the way of tablets outside of a Surface and I simply don't like the shape or feel of them (Though the build quality is superb and likely unparalleled outside of the Apple world.) I also couldn't justify $800 for a tablet unless it was as powerful as my gaming laptop that I spent roughly the same amount on.Looking around though, I found this Lenovo Miix 2 8. This thing really feels good. I mean, I've used all there is with Android but this thing feels like it's what Windows 8 was built for. The gestures are amazingly intuitive when you can reach them all, the OS is likely the most touch friendly of it's kind. It's the first tablet that I've used where I felt like I was using a full-scale OS brought down to a tablet size with the added benefit of touch input... It's not just an oversized phone and on top of that, it costs $50 less than the Android tablets I was considering. I have Borderlands 2 playing on this thing at a solid 28-32 FPS and it cost less than the competition. I've been using it for about two days now. I'm mostly an Android user and I'm wondering, is there any real benefit for me to turn this thing back in in my grace period and shuck out another $50 bucks for an Android tablet?

JJKPL

Jan 3, 2014
Warsaw
Well, the choice is not obvious. Android and Windows 8/8.1 has as many advantages as disadvantages.

Android:
+thousands of free apps and games
+easy in use
+clear interface
+writing new apps is not difficult
-there is no reliable antivirus program
-sometimes unstable

Windows:
+runs all classic and tiles programs
+classic Office
+better for multimedia
-Metro UI is not clear

So... I think Andorid wins this competition. :)

badplanet

Jan 31, 2014
Make a list of the top 20 most important apps to you and go with the tablet OS that runs them.

Personally I bought a Nexus 7 tablet so that I could see the apps available for Android that are not available for Windows Phone 8. As a C# developer it gives me endless ideas for new WP8 apps. If the metro apps you want aren't there on Windows, I can't blame you for going Android.

drk65

Apr 12, 2007
Portland, OR
First... If you are an Android phone user, wouldn't you want to leverage the same OS and eco-system, using a familiar user interface and accessing the same Play store apps you've already purchased/use.

Secondly, after using an iPad3, iPad Mini, Surface RT, and Surface Pro, I settled on the Samsung Galaxy Tab3 8.0 as my Daily Driver Tablet. The form factor, weight, and display size are perfect. I have no issue spending hours surfing, e-mailing, posting, etc. on this tablet and really only head to my Win8 PC for "heavy work" and my phone (GS2) for full mobility.