Slimkat ROM w/stock spen apps?

Search This thread

sahkha_92

Feb 9, 2014
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting and I am fairly new to android, ROMS, development, etc.

Please forgive me if I ask any dumb questions or ones that have already been asked before, but so far, I haven't been able to find too much info on this.

I recently flashed the Temasek CM11 WO3 tweaks ROM and it worked amazing, however,as I'm sure everyone knows, there is no support for things like Air Command, air view, air gestures, etc. First, I was wondering if there are any mods/add ons that would be able to make use of this functionality, and second, I was wondering if it would be possible to place stock Samsung apps (snote3, action memo, etc) on the SD card and subsequently install them while running an AOSP ROM like the temasek one mentioned above? Would that work or would it just be a pointless endeavor?

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting and I am fairly new to android, ROMS, development, etc.

Please forgive me if I ask any dumb questions or ones that have already been asked before, but so far, I haven't been able to find too much info on this.

I recently flashed the Temasek CM11 WO3 tweaks ROM and it worked amazing, however,as I'm sure everyone knows, there is no support for things like Air Command, air view, air gestures, etc. First, I was wondering if there are any mods/add ons that would be able to make use of this functionality, and second, I was wondering if it would be possible to place stock Samsung apps (snote3, action memo, etc) on the SD card and subsequently install them while running an AOSP ROM like the temasek one mentioned above? Would that work or would it just be a pointless endeavor?

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Hello
Stock Samsung apps require samsung frameworks in order to work on your phone. In other words, you can't have samsung and AOSP at the same time. This is why you don't see samsung and HTC apps available for other devices, as they will not work without being excessively hacked to work with other frameworks
In an analogy.. the bonnet on a ferrari will not fit on my mazda3 without being hacked to fit, to work on the different framework

:)

sahkha_92

Feb 9, 2014
Hello
Stock Samsung apps require samsung frameworks in order to work on your phone. In other words, you can't have samsung and AOSP at the same time. This is why you don't see samsung and HTC apps available for other devices, as they will not work without being excessively hacked to work with other frameworks
In an analogy.. the bonnet on a ferrari will not fit on my mazda3 without being hacked to fit, to work on the different framework

Ahhh, that makes sense...

Thanks for the reply poondog and for explaining.

lilgor

Mar 27, 2012
Have been looking for this question everywhere! Thanks ;)

However, do you guys have any alternative apps that have similar functions to spen air command? Thank you all in advance ;)

Sent from my hlte using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pemell

Jan 4, 2012
Gothenburg
Reactions: rodrigorajao

rodrigorajao

Feb 21, 2009
Nice, and what apps do you suggest for jotting notes down using the Spen? I was under the impression that Evernote supported it but I was never able to find this option in the program.

I haven't used Evernote in a while, so things might have changed. And I'm on SlimKat ROM, so I guess I'll need additional software to make Spen work.

Last edited:

Menschenfeind

Mar 17, 2014
Nice, and what apps do you suggest for jotting notes down using the Spen?

You could try Handrite, there's a free and pro version on the Play store.
You can have multiple notebooks in which to save your notes (on the free version you can only have 3 notebooks) and there are multiple options to customise your text (colours, underline, you can mix your writing with regular text input, etc)

Maximumiron

Oct 26, 2013
las Cruces
evernote. handwriting

I use evernote pretty regularly. When you creat page you can go to the top There is a plus symbol at the top. Press this and gives you drop down menu. May eed to hit more handwriting is there.

They are correct spen features must use touchwiz. You can use a launcher that makes device feel different and aircommands etc will work. I am running a rom based off i317 and n7105 hybrid that have these options. Great thing is that you can sync snote with evernote so can open with aircommands and then will sink to evernote. This way you can view on another device like computer.

The advantage to slim rom is removal bloatware makes cor a smooth runnig device. Oems sometimes push their own without actually working to optimize like they should. Poor battery etc.

If you want something similar to aircommands you could try something like pie controls. Have it set to launch an app.

You might try something like papyrus. I believe it has setting to use finger or active pen in menus.

Enjoy!
Nice, and what apps do you suggest for jotting notes down using the Spen? I was under the impression that Evernote supported it but I was never able to find this option in the program.

I haven't used Evernote in a while, so things might have changed. And I'm on SlimKat ROM, so I guess I'll need additional software to make Spen work.

Top Liked Posts