Teleohony..

Search This thread

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
I want to buy a Tab Pro 8.4 to replace my Note 8.0 and keep reading conflicting information. My question is simple.. can the 8.4 make and receive calls?

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
not mine, but mine's only WIFI version, dunno if there's a 4G/LTE ver.

There is an LTE, it's the SM-T325. And acording to official pictures it clearly has an earpiece loudspeaker at the Top. However, in some articles I keep reading does not make GSM calls while on others, yes. The LTE is SnapDragon 800, not Samsung Exynos.. so I am assuming should absolutely make calls. Here is picture..

Attachments

• Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Pro-8_4-Official-1.jpg
    Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Pro-8_4-Official-1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 49

Zagzagel

Aug 29, 2010
Telephony

There is an LTE, it's the SM-T325. And acording to official pictures it clearly has an earpiece loudspeaker at the Top. However, in some articles I keep reading does not make GSM calls while on others, yes. The LTE is SnapDragon 800, not Samsung Exynos.. so I am assuming should absolutely make calls. Here is picture..

I have the 4G/LTE SM-T325 and I can confirm that it makes voice calls. I previously owned the Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5100, which also made voice calls. I just swapped the SIM card and everything was good to go. I live in the US and I am on AT&T's GSM network.

Now if someone will just create some ROMs for it....

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
I have the 4G/LTE SM-T325 and I can confirm that it makes voice calls. The previously owned the Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5100, which also made voice calls. I just swapped the SIM card and everything was good to go. I live in the US and I am on AT&T's GSM network.

Now if someone will just create some ROMs for it....

Ohhhhhhh cool, thanks for the confirmation. Like you I also have the Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5100.

Keep in mind that the new 8.4 was recently released. ROMs will be available later as more users have it. But now that it can be rooted I can buy one.. I think there is also a working recovery for it.. right?.. these are the 2 most important tools. With these you can delete all the garbage and bloatware you want and modify system and framework apks (.. if U know how to do it). Later, there will be ROMs for it.. give it a little time:)

Just to confirm with you, the 8.4 is leaps better and faster then the 8.0, right?

Last edited:

Zagzagel

Aug 29, 2010
Just to confirm with you, the 8.4 is leaps better and faster then the 8.0, right?

Qualitatively it seems faster, but I think a more optimized ROM/kernel will provide even more improvement over the GT-N5100. I was using the X-Note ROM on my GT-N5100, and I was very happy with the speed. The SM-T325 seems a little faster, but not by leaps and bounds. I am currently using Smart Launcher on the device. The biggest improvement is in the display, and it seems like I am getting better battery life than I did with the GT-N5100 after a few charging cycles. Attached is a screenshot of my battery usage from today. I spent a lot of time on Reddit!

Edit: I rooted the tablet using Chainfire's method, and my apps are able to write to the SD card using SDFix. I had no problem rooting the device, but I couldn't get the TWRP 2.7 recovery to install properly. I don't know if there is a problem with TWRP compatibility on the SM-T325 vs. the SM-T320, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work. I didn't try ClockworkMod. Since there aren't really any custom mods/ROMs I can install right now, I just reflashed the stock recovery and decided to wait.

Last edited:

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
Qualitatively it seems faster, but I think a more optimized ROM/kernel will provide even more improvement over the GT-N5100. I was using the X-Note ROM on my GT-N5100, and I was very happy with the speed. The SM-T325 seems a little faster, but not by leaps and bounds. I am currently using and rt Launcher on the device. The biggest improvement is in the display, and it seems like I am getting better battery life than I did with the GT-N5100 after a few charging cycles. Attached is a screenshot of my battery usage from today. I spent a lot of time on Reddit!

Thanks for the feedback. You are right, the speed improvements from device to device are in fact minimal.. it's all about the software. And 4 cores is useless.. not to mention 8 or 16 cores and I hear some Chinese phones will feature to be released soon.. these people are all out of their minds.. 2 cores running faster will give you a much faster UI experience than 4 cores or more running slower, even if the official benchmarks say otherwise. User experience and benchmarks (most of which the manufacturers fake) are different things. Samsung software and launchers are deplorable.. an aftermarket launcher and a good cleanup of all the useless system garbage will make the hardware run twice as fast and the battery last substantially longer.. my opinion is Android OS becomes bigger, fatter, slower and more complex and less "open source" with each release and the hardware can't keep up with the baggage. KitKat is bigger than Windows XP ever was and some of the apps also bigger and use more RAM than Windows apps. On a phone?? Do I find this normal? No. For me, my Galaxy Tab 7 (the original, and I still have it) running 2.3 Gingerbread, was the Golden age of Android.. from Honeycomb forward is all downhill..

The fact that my phone's CPU has more cores than my laptop, needs more RAM than my laptop and uses an OS bigger than my laptop, tells me clearly we are going the wrong way with this. I am already over Android as I have been with Windows for years. It's time something new comes up again from scratch.. simple, lean, free, open and fast.

Last edited: