Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Search This thread

d_dee

Sep 18, 2011
Does anybody have a problem with green lines at the top and the bottom of screen? They're becoming more clear when it is cold.

my screen is looks ugly with grayscale banding in low light, aside it have a bright line at top and bottom of the screen, too bad my device is not in warrantly, what can i do :(

Angelakaro

Feb 27, 2012
R: Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

I don't want to send my phone to repair service,they usually sucks in my country. I think i'll use modded screen settings to hide any artifact

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus

DarkFox002

Nov 19, 2010
My screen had the light banding on light colored screens, it didn't bother me much just gave it the brushed metal look ;).

Then on a cold day I noticed a green line at the top of the screen, then it disappeared. I then I noticed that on the top and bottom of the screen there was a line at full brightness. This was not noticeable with the buttons and notification bar at the top and bottom just on colored screens.

I sent it in last week and it looks great now. No banding, lines are gone, and no odd colors that I can tell.

I looked at a demo GIII unit at Tmobile and was surprised at how bad of screen burn in it had, I didn't think that would happen these days.

Babaganush11

Feb 23, 2013
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

this was very helpful, thanks a lot!

Crwolv

Mar 28, 2012
Metro Detroit
www.reverbnation.com
I'm letting you know the settings I'm giving you are awesome but don't let your kids use it or have it on longer than 2 minutes before the screen shuts down because it will burn in the letters it has on my screen very lightly ! here goes. Franco kernel....Color multipliers 300/300/400 (if you bought them all up to 400 the white will be coming cream looking white so don't do it) gammas green/red/blue 30/30/30. Omap gamma 1.2 Trinity contrast -16. If u do these settings the screen is amazing but amoled so once Again...be carful and make screen go off in 2 min or less. Franco app is in play store and u can flash straight from it(if rooted of course)

highvista

Jul 12, 2009
Oregon
LG V20
My phone's screen is the same. What can i do for a solution? or Is it possible for a solution to this problem?

My screen had this same defect, or possibly a bit worse. It made it especially unpleasant to read eBooks with black text against a light/white background. I finally took the time to resurrect my Nexus One and returned the Galaxy Nexus to Samsung for a screen replacement, under warranty. It's at Samsung's repair center in Plano, TX, right now. I'm crossing my fingers I'll get a screen that doesn't have this problem or some new one.

In the meantime, it's kinda neat that the Nexus One is still doing the job for me. It has its quirks, but it's a great phone. :)

Reactions: SertaGE

SertaGE

Aug 14, 2012
İstanbul
My screen had this same defect, or possibly a bit worse. It made it especially unpleasant to read eBooks with black text against a light/white background. I finally took the time to resurrect my Nexus One and returned the Galaxy Nexus to Samsung for a screen replacement, under warranty. It's at Samsung's repair center in Plano, TX, right now. I'm crossing my fingers I'll get a screen that doesn't have this problem or some new one.

In the meantime, it's kinda neat that the Nexus One is still doing the job for me. It has its quirks, but it's a great phone. :)

Thanks for answer.

I'll go to the service to carry out repairs under warranty.
I hope, your problem resolved and me to..
Please give me the latest news.

Pommes_Schranke

Feb 22, 2010

Did the same thing yesterday. Sent in my GNex because of screen problems and revived my Nexus One.
My N1's screen is still as good as it was at day 1 (bought it in the first days after the release and used it for more than two years). The GNex screen on the contrary s%cked in comparison to day 1 (after 1 year) :(.

highvista

Jul 12, 2009
Oregon
LG V20
Did the same thing yesterday. Sent in my GNex because of screen problems and revived my Nexus One.
My N1's screen is still as good as it was at day 1 (bought it in the first days after the release and used it for more than two years). The GNex screen on the contrary s%cked in comparison to day 1 (after 1 year) :(.

Yeah, the N1 is still a heck of a phone. :good:

I received an email update from Samsung on Monday indicating that my repair is on hold, waiting for parts. I'm assuming that part is a screen, which is good news, since that means they concur that it needs replacing. I don't know if this is standard operating procedure or if I'm in for a long wait. The original estimate for the repair to be done was March 7, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll hear something more soon.

SertaGE

Aug 14, 2012
İstanbul
I sent my device service for the same problem. I'm waiting and I'm so bored.
Could you tell me when your device returned?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

whites-1.gif

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

blacks-1.gif

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

nexuscompare1.jpg

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

compareViewingAngle.jpg
    nexuscompare2.jpg

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

rainbownexus.jpg

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

2c.JPG

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

AMOLED-BLack.gif

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

LCDvsAMOLED.gif

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

tint_fade.jpg

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

black_spots.jpg

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

image_retention.jpg

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

banding.jpg
    lines.jpg

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.
    So here is correctly-calibrated screen 1st one on the left. See attachment.
    Just dont deal with screen issues that you dont notice every day and are not that big problem. If in 99.9% situations the screen is ok let i be, we are still not in age where everything will be perfect. I compared display with Iphone 4S and be happy guys. It has much better colors (not sure with white). Black is much much more black and other colors are more richer. 4.0.2 factory also increased minimal brightness so this paper pattern is no longer big deal. I was really worried about display when I bought it but now everything is ok. In the evenings I switch on the screen (to look at clock) and black merges with borders and I just see beatiful screen :). btw its just Super Amoled HD not plus. Plus should be still in development and maybe it will appear in Galaxy S3 I would rather if not (it feels better if you know there isnt better display). Some models have issues but I dont know smartphone or just phone which dont.
    I found this on another thread on a different forum and it does show the inconsistencies of the display.

If you turn down brightness all the way down to the left and can see how greys might become purple.

See attached images. These are 3 different models all with brightness at the lowest from the settings menu.

Of course on mine once I turn brightness up a bit it goes back to normal, so not sure if it really means much.
    I have corrected color balance using application "Screen Adjuster 1.6"
    (it's free application)

Settings
    Red +0
    Green +0
    Blue +6

Now the color balance is much better for me :)