Ultimate [VIDEO Guides] How To Root, Unlock Bootloader and More! New Nexus 7 (2013)

Search This thread

owenbeals

Aug 24, 2010
This thread will contain all of my video guides for the New Nexus 7 (2013)

I will be sure to update the OP regularly with guides, rom reviews, and other videos pertaining to the New Nexus 7!

One Click Bootloader Unlock, Root, Recovery Install With Wugfresh Nexus Toolkit:

Wugfresh Toolkit: https://plus.google.com/u/0/113329792100896065459/posts/cJsC65WiPFu

One Click Unroot, Unbrick Factory Restore:

Wugfresh toolkit: http://wugfresh.com/nrt

How To Unlock The Bootlaoder Manually:

Android SDK: Http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

USB Drivers: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

How To ROOT and Install TWRP Recovery:

SuperSU.zip : http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu (download this to your Nexus 7)

TWRP.img : http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/flo (Download this to your PC)

New Nexus 7 (2013) vs Old Nexus 7 (2012)

more to come very soon

Last edited:

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
It may sound unrelated but go how come you haven't made an unboxing of the device? :eek: Also is there will be a review?

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk

owenbeals

Aug 24, 2010
The unboxing will arrive on Monday. I had already shot and edited the video prior to these. I just thought these were more important so I uploaded them first

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
The white from the light of the computer makes it hard to follow in some spots, also a lot of ppl prob don't know how to upgrade the Google USB drivers (I know simple but could not so adv ppl could get lost etc).

Overall good videos, my N7(2013) thanks you :D

kcbboy

Jun 15, 2010
I notice people always say to turn usb debugging on but I've done it both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and never turned debugging on for either one and it still works the same.

themrmotivator

May 23, 2012
Won't get my new N7 until September (uk). Just would like to say thanks for the great vids. :):thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

fstbusa

Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the vids!

just bought the old N7 32gb for just under $200 last week. Decided that I don't need that much space and would rather have the better hardware so I'm returning the first gen and getting the latest 16gb version! :good:

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
Not sure if I missed it, but it should be noted that unlocking the bootloader wipes ALL your data!

Zmnypit

Jan 11, 2012
Has anyone tried this using Clockwork instead of TWRP? Not a big fan of TWRP

EDIT: Never mind found my answer

Last edited:

aj8600

Aug 8, 2010
Eugene, OR
If I just bought a nexus 7 from best buy today, do I have the 2013 version? I assume I do? Also, probably dumb question, but I assume 2013 nexus won't work with nexus 7 roms/kernels?

No No Kernel Optimized Galaxy S3

Reactions: aiiee

quickstang

Sep 2, 2009
If I just bought a nexus 7 from best buy today, do I have the 2013 version? I assume I do? Also, probably dumb question, but I assume 2013 nexus won't work with nexus 7 roms/kernels?

If you're serious about these questions then yes, it's the new one. You probably should have done your homework before even buying it if you had to ask after you bought it. Best Buy never even carried last years model.

No.. Don't use anything from the original N7 unless you want a nice heavy paper weight.

My suggestion would be to start reading everything on the 2013 model very carefully in these forums before you attempt to flash anything.

I'm not trying to be rude, but the above are how people get in messes. Especially if they have to ask the community what they bought. :confused:

Sent from my iphone killing Galaxy Nexus running ASKP kernel & AOKFP ROM. For the love of everyone on forums READ BEFORE YOU POST.

aj8600

Aug 8, 2010
Eugene, OR
If you're serious about these questions then yes, it's the new one. You probably should have done your homework before even buying it if you had to ask after you bought it. Best Buy never even carried last years model.

No.. Don't use anything from the original N7 unless you want a nice heavy paper weight.

My suggestion would be to start reading everything on the 2013 model very carefully in these forums before you attempt to flash anything.

I'm not trying to be rude, but the above are how people get in messes. Especially if they have to ask the community what they bought. :confused:

Sent from my iphone killing Galaxy Nexus running ASKP kernel & AOKFP ROM. For the love of everyone on forums READ BEFORE YOU POST.

Lol I look like an absolute fool. When I bought it I didn't think there was a new one, but after some research, I figured out that I obviously have it haha

I have read through all of the threads regarding root and will root it later tonight. My previous comment made me look like a complete noob, but I assure you I have rooted phones for years and understand the goings on. I was just confused at the time because as I said I didn't know there was a new model, I thought it was a firmware update or something.

I can't wait to see this attract devs that can bring amazing kernels and roms

BlastTyrantKM

Dec 21, 2011
you mention "fastboot.exe" in the video, but where do we get that? I keep getting "ADB not recognized as a command" when I type the command in the window.

Never mind... I figured it out... I wasn't navigating to the platform-tools folder before opening the command window. I'm now unlocked & rooted

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts