Can't charge fast enough?

Search This thread

esheesle

Nov 30, 2010
Using a New Trent External charger I noticed that the phone was still losing power, just at a way slower rate than without it charging. Phone showed charging. I was using netflix via 3g at the time. Would this be expected? Not super worried as the battery charges just fine when screen is off and not in use.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
How many amp output is that charger??

My phone can't keep up with the charge if I'm veiwing a movie using HDMI unless I run incredible kernel with fastcharge enabled.

Last edited:

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY

a-jive

Dec 14, 2011
Richland, WA
My new Trent works pretty well, but I wouldn't expect it to keep up with streaming vids. I found that it gives a charge to the idle phone at about 800mA, which is about the same as the stock wall charger.

Pick up battery monitor widget and you can track your plus and minus usage pretty well to decide if everything seems OK.

Last edited:

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
Does this cable work for sure with the rezound??

I don't need it right now with the incredicontrol running, but I ordered it just as a handy thing to have.

Well, I'll answer my own question. The cable definitely DOES NOT force higher charging at least when using an HDMI adaptor.

If I use Incredikernel with fast charging enabled with Incredicontrol, it will actually GAIN charge while playing a full length movie through HDMI.

This morning, I flashed back to dsb 1.3 with no frills cpu control & hooked up the new cable for charging. I started with a 100% charged battery & after playing a 1 hour DVD RIP from my card, it was down to 89% charged. Using Incredicontrol, during the exact same test the battery still read 100% at the end.

Reactions: thatsricci

thatsricci

Nov 28, 2011
Thanks for your results jmorton10. Good to know. I wonder if it's the connections inside the HDMI adapter messing with it.

Not sure why HTC can't just get this right to always pull the max possible from whatever it's hooked into!

-j

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
My understanding is because the MHL adapter needs the USB data pins to work properly and they can't be shorted out as mentioned above, the phone thinks it's on a USB connection and limits it's current draw to 500mA.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
the phone thinks it's on a USB connection and limits it's current draw to 500mA.

That is definitely the problem, the battery monitor widget claims it is charging from USB even though it is plugged directly into an A/C charger.

I guess I will be flashing back to Incredikernel/Incredicontrol tonight. I do like dsb kernel slightly better as it never freezes/bootloops etc. ever on that kernel. It does stop responding occasionally on IC (requiring a battery pull) although it doesn't happen very often.

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
The Rezound complies with the USB charging specification. If your power source isn't compliant, it won't draw more that 500 mA (and probably less if USB doesn't enumerate, but I haven't checked). That's what the "short the USB data pins" thing is all about. Earlier USB charging spec said they should be shorted, the latest says 200 ohms. Any "USB charger" which doesn't do that isn't compliant, and shouldn't be sold as USB-anything, because it doesn't follow the USB spec. Return it to where you got it, and complain (loudly).

Regardless of how much power a charger can deliver, even if it meets spec you won't see more than about 800 mA go into the battery. There's a limit to how much current both the connector and the battery can safely handle, and the phone takes that into consideration.

Remember, the mA reported by utilities is (always?) what's going in/out of the battery. The charger would be delivering more than that (e.g. 800 mA into the battery, plus 400 mA to power a phone doing video streaming, etc.). AIR, the micro USB connector is limited to ~1500 mA, and I've never seen a battery charge at much more than 800, as reported by the kernel. Conversely, when charging from a non-USB charging spec compliant port, the phone won't draw more than ~500 mA from the port, and the battery only gets what's left after subtracting what's needed to run the phone.

Another thing which can affect charging is the cable. If you have a long USB cable using 28 gauge wire, there will be a significant voltage drop across it. USB specs say the voltage should be between 4.75 and 5.25 V, and Android seems to limit the charging current so the incoming voltage stays above 4.75V. Using 24 gauge USB cables, especially with longer lengths, can increase the charging current. Most vendors don't tell you the wire gauge used in their cables, but Monoprice does (no relation, etc.).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does this cable work for sure with the rezound??

I don't need it right now with the incredicontrol running, but I ordered it just as a handy thing to have.

Well, I'll answer my own question. The cable definitely DOES NOT force higher charging at least when using an HDMI adaptor.

If I use Incredikernel with fast charging enabled with Incredicontrol, it will actually GAIN charge while playing a full length movie through HDMI.

This morning, I flashed back to dsb 1.3 with no frills cpu control & hooked up the new cable for charging. I started with a 100% charged battery & after playing a 1 hour DVD RIP from my card, it was down to 89% charged. Using Incredicontrol, during the exact same test the battery still read 100% at the end.