[APP] Car Dock Mode - Since it's missing

Search This thread

kentoe

Mar 17, 2010
Car Dock *Root* - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.warner.carmode

I just made this app recently to initiate the Car Dock functionality for my Nexus 5.

Advantages of car dock mode: Landscape mode on home screen, auto speaker phone when getting calls, other little features that people may have used in the past

agChQHB.png

SUPER simple app that doubles as a 1x1 widget. Unfortunately though, it requires root to put the device into the appropriate Car Dock mode due to having to execute a simple one line shell command. The standard SDK broadcast intents don't have the appropriate permissions to execute the Car Dock mode correctly.

Note: Don't disable Car Dock mode using the system notification. This is a notification provided by the Android OS and incorrectly disables Car Dock mode the same way you could do so without escalated privileges. Essentially it just shuts of car dock mode but doesn't disable rotation on the home screen which is the big thing.

Let me know what you think, was gonna share it around.

Tested on
  • Nexus 5 w/ 4.4.2 Stock Rom rooted
  • Galaxy Nexus w/ 4.3 Cyanogenmod
  • Droid Incredible w/ 4.0.3 Cyanogenmod

Last edited:

kentoe

Mar 17, 2010
hi
what exactly it does?

It allows you to put the phone in landscape during the home screen and makes things a lot more automated for car situations. Like it will automatically put your calls in speaker phone mode and other little things.

I had used Car Dock mode a lot with my Galaxy Nexus when I would put it in the car dock because the pogo pins would set it to that mode, but now it's not as accessible with the Nexus 5 since there isn't a dedicated dock for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: meethere

Letitride

Thanks for sharing. Initial impression - looks nice, installed it via Play Store and running, screen rotate with most apps (Youtube, Maps & Google Now, etc.) - simplistic & functional, will test it tomorrow on a snow day as we need to head out. Having incoming calls to ring & answer in speakerphone mode is perfect when BT isn't connected ... not that I advocate distracted driving behind the wheels.

What will it take to rotate the stock telephone dialer and/or the Talkatone dialer? Google/LG should've included the Car Dock on its installed App list for the Nexus 5. I like it. :highfive:

ginkage

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jun 19, 2005
London
Hm... How is it different from my app (which works as I described here)?
Also, my app doesn't require you to "not disable the car dock mode from the system notification", as it will still correctly disable car mode just fine on a second launch, without any reboot.

Last edited:
A

AndroidSlave

Hm... How is it different from my app (which works as I described here)?
Also, my app doesn't require you to "not disable the car dock mode from the system notification", as it will still correctly disable car mode just fine on a second launch, without any reboot.

So because you created a similar app, he isn't allowed to make one?

Sent from Nexus 5 on Slimkat

ginkage

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jun 19, 2005
London
So because you created a similar app, he isn't allowed to make one?
OMG, no, I was just asking what's the difference. :)
E.g., he could have used a different method of achieving the dock state, like firing up a broadcast message via am command (which I've failed to do properly), or something else. I just wanted to know how this one works, that's all.

A

AndroidSlave

OMG, no, I was just asking what's the difference. :)
E.g., he could have used a different method of achieving the dock state, like firing up a broadcast message via am command (which I've failed to do properly), or something else. I just wanted to know how this one works, that's all.

My apologies, I misunderstood.

Sent from Nexus 5 on Slimkat

Last edited:

estapagu

Jun 30, 2011
Can I do a request? I think this would be more useful with a Tasker plugin or a separated switcher for on/off. The reason is sometimes using NFC lockscreenoff enabler xposed module for tag lost detection, when a tag is lost very early, then the car mode goes inverted cause you can't set a task for swith car mode on or off, just toggle.

Sorry for my poor English.
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Car Dock *Root* - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.warner.carmode

I just made this app recently to initiate the Car Dock functionality for my Nexus 5.

Advantages of car dock mode: Landscape mode on home screen, auto speaker phone when getting calls, other little features that people may have used in the past

agChQHB.png

SUPER simple app that doubles as a 1x1 widget. Unfortunately though, it requires root to put the device into the appropriate Car Dock mode due to having to execute a simple one line shell command. The standard SDK broadcast intents don't have the appropriate permissions to execute the Car Dock mode correctly.

Note: Don't disable Car Dock mode using the system notification. This is a notification provided by the Android OS and incorrectly disables Car Dock mode the same way you could do so without escalated privileges. Essentially it just shuts of car dock mode but doesn't disable rotation on the home screen which is the big thing.

Let me know what you think, was gonna share it around.

Tested on
    • Nexus 5 w/ 4.4.2 Stock Rom rooted
    • Galaxy Nexus w/ 4.3 Cyanogenmod
    • Droid Incredible w/ 4.0.3 Cyanogenmod
    hi
    what exactly it does?

It allows you to put the phone in landscape during the home screen and makes things a lot more automated for car situations. Like it will automatically put your calls in speaker phone mode and other little things.

I had used Car Dock mode a lot with my Galaxy Nexus when I would put it in the car dock because the pogo pins would set it to that mode, but now it's not as accessible with the Nexus 5 since there isn't a dedicated dock for it.