Why aren't there low profile flash drives with micro-USB connectors?

Search This thread

scooterboy5

Dec 4, 2012
Something like the one below with a micro-usb connector instead.

I would think some manufacturer could make a killing in the phone/tablet market...

Attachments

• 16gb_usb2.jpg
    16gb_usb2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 7,753
Last edited:

sonicfishcake

Jul 27, 2006
Cleethorpes
Agreed, that's a great idea, maybe nobody has actually thought about it who works in the industry? Stranger things have happened.

Sent from my XT910 using xda premium

AndroidLonghorn

Mar 12, 2011
Houston
So I bought this Microusb flash drive/ microsd card reader from Amazon to try with my Nexus 10. It's not low profile, but it is pretty small.

http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-NO...727367&sr=8-8&keywords="microusb"+"card+noosy

I can get the 4 gb flash drive to work using either Nexus Media Importer or Stick Mount, but I cannot get the microsd to show up. It works fine in my Galaxy S3 in both ICS and Jellybean. Has anyone else tried this product? Any ideas to get one of those apps (or another one) to read a device that has both a usb flash drive and microsd card? This device could be the answer to my storage problems on the Nexus 10 if only I can get it to read the microsd card! Thanks!

Attachments

• microusb.jpg
    microusb.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 853

scooterboy5

Dec 4, 2012

I already got 2 of those and they work fine with NMI - just looking for something that won't block the headphone jack. One of those with the micro-usb connector reversed would at least go in the other direction and leave the headphone jack accessible.

Waaaay beyond my capabilities!

So I bought this Microusb flash drive/ microsd card reader from Amazon to try with my Nexus 10. It's not low profile, but it is pretty small.

http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-NO...727367&sr=8-8&keywords="microusb"+"card+noosy

I'm trying to avoid something that sticks out too far. If you drop the N10 or bang it on something with that connected, it could really stress (or even break) the micro-usb jack.

AndroidLonghorn

Mar 12, 2011
Houston
I only need the flash drive/card reader to watch movies. I'm ok with it jutting out some as long as I can get it to work. I'm surprised no one else has found this item with all the people looking for microusb flash drives.

scooterboy5

Dec 4, 2012
I only need the flash drive/card reader to watch movies. I'm ok with it jutting out some as long as I can get it to work. I'm surprised no one else has found this item with all the people looking for microusb flash drives.

If it doesn't exist (yet), that makes it kinda hard to find. :cool:

I just ordered this from ebay. It's not specifically described as OTG but it does say it's 5-pin, so I'm hopeful. At least it will leave the headphone jack accessible.

AndroidLonghorn

Mar 12, 2011
Houston
The point of my earlier post is that micro-usb flash drives do exist, and you can buy them from amazon. It may not be small enough for you, but it is still pretty small and light and could be a good option for people who do not want to build their own or be stuck using a cable.

The problem is that I still can't get it to read the microsd card. It is only reading the flash memory part on my Nexus 10. My Galaxy S3 can read the 4 gig internal memory and the 32 gig microsd card.

Attachments

• microusb.jpg
    microusb.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 459

scooterboy5

Dec 4, 2012
The point of my earlier post is that micro-usb flash drives do exist, and you can buy them from amazon. It may not be small enough for you, but it is still pretty small and light and could be a good option for people who do not want to build their own or be stuck using a cable.

Sorry - I was still referring to a low profile flash drive, as pictured in the OP and another poster's picture. I have seen the ones you're referring to, and I'm just paranoid about it sticking out that far. The right angled adapter I posted above (assuming it works as OTG) would at least keep the flash drive running parallel to the edge of the N10, rather that sticking out perpendicular to it.

mejakeg

Dec 1, 2011
I just bought one of the SanDisk Fit drives you used as an example, and while I haven't looked at it closely, my guess is that the bulk of its "guts" are actually stuffed in the USB connector itself (pretty sure I've run across MicroSD card readers that worked this way) and therefore wouldn't fit into a similar package with a micro usb connector.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
I just did a quick search on Amazon -- this one is only 8GB, but if it works...I have a feeling we ought to be able to find 32GB and possible 64GB models as well. This one is only $7, and if you have Amazon Prime shipping is free:
311mzeoe9EL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digi...0830&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+flash+drive+smallest

EDIT:
Link to a 16GB version:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Micro-Flash-DTMCK/dp/B007V9U81E/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

EDIT2: my bad -- I deleted the one with the microSDHC -- it was a std USB2 plug... :(

EDIT3: so...since this isn't wired as an OTG adapter (i.e., Sense isn't grounded), I'm wondering how the N10 would see it...?

Last edited:

saryu

Dec 27, 2010
jakarta
I just did a quick search on Amazon -- this one is only 8GB, but if it works...I have a feeling we ought to be able to find 32GB and possible 64GB models as well. This one is only $7, and if you have Amazon Prime shipping is free:
311mzeoe9EL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digi...0830&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+flash+drive+smallest

EDIT:
Link to a 16GB version:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Micro-Flash-DTMCK/dp/B007V9U81E/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

EDIT2: my bad -- I deleted the one with the microSDHC -- it was a std USB2 plug... :(

EDIT3: so...since this isn't wired as an OTG adapter (i.e., Sense isn't grounded), I'm wondering how the N10 would see it...?

looks good.

1 question though.. How do you transfers the data from the computer to this? an extra opposite adapter? =p..

Top Liked Posts