[HOW TO] USB Tethering on unlimited data plan NO ROOT

Search This thread

vivalaavans

Aug 26, 2010
Daytona Beach
I have seen many posts regarding the tethering and hotspot on T-mobile, as it is only available on the data plans that are not unlimited. T-mobile blocks most tethering and hotspot apps but there are some ways to get around this. Most ways to avoid purchasing the tethering plan require root. However, this one does not. After a lot of searching I finally found a solution. The only con of this is that it does not support hotspot, only USB tethering. It is compatible with Mac OS, Windows OS, and Ubuntu OS. I am still searching for an update that will allow this to work with Chrome OS as I just purchased a Google Chromebook. This is a great feature while you are on the go, or do not have an internet connection at home.
The first step to the process is to download the Android app from the google Play Store. It is called ClockworkMod Tether. The app is free for 14 days. Once the 14 days is up, you will be able to purchase the full edition for $4.99. The upgrade is in app only, so you must download the free version first. Why wouldn't you anyways?
Once you have downloaded the app, as you will notice when you open it, you will need to download the app for your computer. It will ask you to open the app on your computer to get started. There is an app as well as a driver that is needed for this. In order to get the driver, you will need to visit clockworkmod.com. You can visit the site from your computer or your phone, which is convenient if you don't already have internet access. You will then need to click tether drivers at the top of the screen. It will take you to a list of makes of phones such as Motorola, Samsung, etc. Obviously, being the Samsung Galaxy s III, you are going to click the samsung drivers link. After it is downloaded, if you are using your computer, simply open the file and install it. If you have downloaded it to your SIII, you will need to connect your phone to your computer, find the file in the folder clockworkmod, and install it.
After everything is installed, you can open the app in your phone and turn on the tethering. After you have done this, open the program (which should also be installes from the clockworkmod folder) and click start. It will configure and it should say connected after a few seconds. Then, open your browser and you should be online!

I just discovered this and so far it is working GREAT! I got booted off once, not really sure what happened. But I turned off the tethering through the app first, then through the computer and restarted it all again and all is good. Hope this helps everyone looking for the answer! I will post again when I discover a way to use hotspot for free with no root.

N3r0-666

Jul 30, 2011
I love u i have unlimited 4g if my bill turns out to be 1000 $ ill hate u

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

N3r0-666

Jul 30, 2011
After trying this I got a message from tmobile. With un 10 minutes
Free T-Mobile Msg: To prevent future Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (Tethering) access from being blocked, add Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service here.

N3r0-666

Jul 30, 2011
Just figured out how to by pass the t mobile audo redirect using got spot shild mobile version and avtivading it before tethering

Reactions: siri7000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen many posts regarding the tethering and hotspot on T-mobile, as it is only available on the data plans that are not unlimited. T-mobile blocks most tethering and hotspot apps but there are some ways to get around this. Most ways to avoid purchasing the tethering plan require root. However, this one does not. After a lot of searching I finally found a solution. The only con of this is that it does not support hotspot, only USB tethering. It is compatible with Mac OS, Windows OS, and Ubuntu OS. I am still searching for an update that will allow this to work with Chrome OS as I just purchased a Google Chromebook. This is a great feature while you are on the go, or do not have an internet connection at home.
    The first step to the process is to download the Android app from the google Play Store. It is called ClockworkMod Tether. The app is free for 14 days. Once the 14 days is up, you will be able to purchase the full edition for $4.99. The upgrade is in app only, so you must download the free version first. Why wouldn't you anyways?
    Once you have downloaded the app, as you will notice when you open it, you will need to download the app for your computer. It will ask you to open the app on your computer to get started. There is an app as well as a driver that is needed for this. In order to get the driver, you will need to visit clockworkmod.com. You can visit the site from your computer or your phone, which is convenient if you don't already have internet access. You will then need to click tether drivers at the top of the screen. It will take you to a list of makes of phones such as Motorola, Samsung, etc. Obviously, being the Samsung Galaxy s III, you are going to click the samsung drivers link. After it is downloaded, if you are using your computer, simply open the file and install it. If you have downloaded it to your SIII, you will need to connect your phone to your computer, find the file in the folder clockworkmod, and install it.
    After everything is installed, you can open the app in your phone and turn on the tethering. After you have done this, open the program (which should also be installes from the clockworkmod folder) and click start. It will configure and it should say connected after a few seconds. Then, open your browser and you should be online!

I just discovered this and so far it is working GREAT! I got booted off once, not really sure what happened. But I turned off the tethering through the app first, then through the computer and restarted it all again and all is good. Hope this helps everyone looking for the answer! I will post again when I discover a way to use hotspot for free with no root.
    Just figured out how to by pass the t mobile audo redirect using got spot shild mobile version and avtivading it before tethering