[Q] HTC Sensation no network access

Search This thread

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
HTC Sensation 4G T-mobile. From USA, trying to make it work in Norway.

According to the previous owner it was SIM unlocked, but stopped working after an upgrade (which was the reason for passing it on to me....). When I got it it had S-ON, HBOOT 1.27, Android 4.0.3 ICS, HTC Sense 3.6. No bootloader or root access. Everything worked flawlessly, except calling: whenever I put my SIM I'd get a "your SIM does not allow connections to this network" error message, so I figured it had to do with the phone being simlocked to T-Mobile.

Then I tried numerous guides to obtain SIM unlock:

1. Made contact with T-Mobile to see if they could unlock the SIM, but I didn't meet their requirements.
  2. Unlocked bootloader the official way. http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
  3. Rooting done following this guide: http://theunlockr.com/2012/09/20/how-to-root-the-htc-sensation-on-hboot-version-1-27-0000/
  4. Installed SuperSU https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu (downloaded from the author's site)
  5. Installed CWM http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager
  6. Did the wire-trick to obtain S-OFF: http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm
  7. Ran this SIM unlocker: http://www.sieempi.eu/blog/2011/09/22/universal-sim-unlock-for-s-offed-htc-devices-536
  8. Finally installed CyanogenMod 9.1

So I learned a lot, but basically didn't solve my original problem: When trying to call I get "Mobile Network Not Available" and when searching for networks it's "Unable to connect at this time" and asks me try again later.

My new specs are: Android 4.0.4, S-OFF, HBOOT 1.27.1111, Radio 11.23.3504.07_M2, OpenADSP-v02.6.0.2226.00.0131

Despite the guide stating it wouldn't work with HBOOT 1.27 I also tried this one, but running PG58DIAG.nbh expectedly returned error messages. They were "security fail" and "update fail".

The output of the "strings -n 8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6" command shows "T-MOB010" under my IMEI number, so to me it seems likely it's still locked. However, the phone doesn't ask for any unlocking code except for the PIN.

Hope anybody on this forum is able to point me in new directions. Thankful for any and all input.

Last edited:

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
HTC Sensation 4G T-mobile. From USA, trying to make it work in Norway.

According to the previous owner it was SIM unlocked, but stopped working after an upgrade (which was the reason for passing it on to me....). When I got it it had S-ON, HBOOT 1.27, Android 4.0.3 ICS, HTC Sense 3.6. No bootloader or root access. Everything worked flawlessly, except calling: whenever I put my SIM I'd get a "your SIM does not allow connections to this network" error message, so I figured it had to do with the phone being simlocked to T-Mobile.

Then I tried numerous guides to obtain SIM unlock:

1. Made contact with T-Mobile to see if they could unlock the SIM, but I didn't meet their requirements.
  2. Unlocked bootloader the official way. http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
  3. Rooting done following this guide: http://theunlockr.com/2012/09/20/how-to-root-the-htc-sensation-on-hboot-version-1-27-0000/
  4. Installed SuperSU https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu (downloaded from the author's site)
  5. Installed CWM http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager
  6. Did the wire-trick to obtain S-OFF: http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm
  7. Ran this SIM unlocker: http://www.sieempi.eu/blog/2011/09/22/universal-sim-unlock-for-s-offed-htc-devices-536
  8. Finally installed CyanogenMod 9.1

So I learned a lot, but basically didn't solve my original problem: When trying to call I get "Mobile Network Not Available" and when searching for networks it's "Unable to connect at this time" and asks me try again later.

My new specs are: Android 4.0.4, S-OFF, HBOOT 1.27.1111, Radio 11.23.3504.07_M2, OpenADSP-v02.6.0.2226.00.0131

Despite the guide stating it wouldn't work with HBOOT 1.27 I also tried this one, but running PG58DIAG.nbh expectedly returned error messages. They were "security fail" and "update fail".

The output of the "strings -n 8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6" command shows "T-MOB010" under my IMEI number, so to me it seems likely it's still locked. However, the phone doesn't ask for any unlocking code except for the PIN.

Hope anybody on this forum is able to point me in new directions. Thankful for any and all input.

Try writing supercid to it before you try PG58DIAG.nbh.

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
Try writing supercid to it before you try PG58DIAG.nbh.

Well, I searched and found post #35 in this thread helpful.

Then I tried rebooting, but the problem persisted so I went for trying to run PG58DIAG.nbh again. Which seemingly was successful as it reported so, except I found no way of exiting the program. In the end I just removed the battery.

Now CyanogenMod was caught in a loop on reboot, so I rebooted to recovery and tried reinstalling. Lots of error messages and still stuck on startup screen. Now, what next?

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis

Then I tried rebooting, but the problem persisted so I went for trying to run PG58DIAG.nbh again. Which seemingly was successful as it reported so, except I found no way of exiting the program. In the end I just removed the battery.

Now CyanogenMod was caught in a loop on reboot, so I rebooted to recovery and tried reinstalling. Lots of error messages and still stuck on startup screen. Now, what next?

You found the right way to get supercid and, as far as I know, the only way to fully end the process with DIAG is to remove the battery.

Now try with a different recovery, for example 4ext, full wipe, and try some stock like rom like ARHD.

Last edited:
Reactions: al_f

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
Still stuck :(

Thanks for helping out!

So I got 4ext Recovery Updater, the directly linked zip file. Flashed via fastboot:
Code:
 fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

As instructed here I also downloaded and ran PG58IMG.zip, choosing the 3.32 version as that was similar to the firmware I had when I started.

Next I got ARHD 7.3 and installed it, wiping everything on the way. It went smoothly, except I got a little nervous when it stuck for 5 minutes + on the beats audio screen.

Then hopes got higher as the phone asked wich carrier I was using, actually offering mine as an alternative. Still no go, however. "Your SIM does not allow you to connect to this network".

Checking variables through "fastboot getvar cid" returns cid=11111111, but "adb shell" followed by "strings -n 8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6" still shows the annoying "T-MOB010" below my IMEI number. I obviously need access to this block, to edit or remove it, but how?

Last edited:

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
Now go to dialer and type
*#*#4636#*#*

And see what is set as a network type (should be WCDMA prefered if it isn't set it).

If you still have problems check if your home network works on the right frequency with the ones available of your phone.

And it won't be bad to try another sim card.

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
Now go to dialer and type
*#*#4636#*#*

And see what is set as a network type (should be WCDMA prefered if it isn't set it).

If you still have problems check if your home network works on the right frequency with the ones available of your phone.

And it won't be bad to try another sim card.

Thanks again for providing answers, it's much appreciated!

But unfortunately these didn't solve the riddle either: Trying another SIM? Already did that, to no avail. Tried several settings, network and others, after *#*#4636#*#* (radio off / on inbetween).

Checked network frequencies, they should work (and according to previous owner the phone was working in Norway prior to some fatal update - I'd guess that was updating Android from 2.something the phone shipped with to the 4.0.3 on when I took over).

Now searching for ways to modify /dev/block/mmcblk0p6

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
No signal - locked SIM

A lot of text coming, sorry! Let's recap: After trying many firmwares and ROMS, I'm now on ARHD 7.3 from this thread. I've tried the special one for T-Mobile too.

In bootloader currently these specs are given:
Code:
Firmware-3.33
PYRAMID PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-1.27.1100
RADIO-11.24A.3504.31_M
OpenADSP-v05.6.2226.00.0418
eMMC-boot
Jan 13 2012, 17:33:34
Output from adb shell "strings -n 8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6":

Code:
root@android:/ # strings -n 8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
macaddr=D4:**:**:**:**:0E
sromrev=3
vendid=0x14e4
devid=0x432f
boardtype=0x4b9
boardrev=0x36
boardflags=0x200
xtalfreq=37400
pa0b0=5190,5190,5576
pa0b1=64229,64229,64172
pa0b2=65121,65121,65155
pa0itssit=62
pa0maxpwr=82
ofdmpo=0xCC888888
mcs2gpo0=0xCCCC
mcs2gpo1=0xCCCC
rssismf2g=0xa,0xa,0xa
rssismc2g=0xb,0xb,0xa
rssisav2g=0x3,0x3,0x3
rcal_flag=0x61
ccode=ALL
cctl=0x0
cckdigfilttype=0
ofdmdigfilttype=1
rxpo2g=0
boardnum=1
otpimagesize=182
hwhdr=0x05ffff031030031003100000
RAW1=80 32 fe 21 02 0c 00 22 2a 01 01 00 00 c5 0 e6 00 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 ff ff 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 c8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff 20 04 D0 2 29 43 21 02 0c 00 22 04 00 20 00 5A
sd_gpout=0
sd_oobonly=1
rssi_offset=0
KC17********
SH17********
SH17********
KC17********
99HNA003-00
B6EA6213
PG5810000
D4206D0FD10E
2011/07/27
3550***********
T-MOB010
2A9A1B7R804050
83H00425-03
The culprit is of course the line following the IMEI number; "T-MOB010". The output of this command has stayed the same through all firmwares and ROMs I've tried.

Interestingly, a different CID is found with adb shell (same as found through various fastboot commands):

Code:
root@android:/ # getprop ro.cid                                     
root@android:/ # getprop ro.mid                                                
PG58*****
I used this thread to unlock SIM. I cannot use method 1 (I have a date above IMEI), so I tried method 2, running the PG58DIAG.nbh. It reported success, but I can not connect to network ("Your SIM does not allow you to connect to this network".

Next I tried sieempi's guide. I'm not sure if this bootloader report means success,

Code:
SIMLOCK
FAT32 init OK
Reading Config.dat [37]Bytes
Read MCCMNC file success
Open CID file fail
Get device IMEI success
IMEI checking...PASS!
Process done, reboot device?
but the problem surely persists. When starting my phone it asks for the SIM PIN, that's it. And everything except calling works.

While searching for ways to deal with the /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 this was the closest I got to anything, which seems way to complicated for me - not to mention that they're discussing a different phone entirely.

So I'm stumped. Any and all input still highly appreciated!

Last edited:

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
I have the same thing with string command (writen H3G_001 and I have supercid) do don't get bothered with that.

Your problem seems to be some hardware issue.

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
I also tried this method, step 3 b)

Code:
root@android:/ # sh /sdcard/simfinder.sh                                       
Searching mmcblk0p7...
1|root@android:/ #

No output except changing my prompt to have a "1|" in front. I don't know what that means, and it disappears on running new commands.

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
Hooray!

Well, I let it all rest for a while, then tried with yet another SIM. And would ya believe it, now it works!

Interestingly, the phone also works with the SIM it (seemingly?) rejected in the first place. So while I'm happy to finally have a fully functioning Sensation, I don't really know which part of all the tricks I tried that made it work.

Nonetheless, hopefully my efforts will be of help to somebody!

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
woah, not so fast...

After successfully making one call, problem is back. WTF?

According to my provider here, those "SIM does not allow connection"-messages are only for SIM-locks. If this is correct, my phone must still be locked to T-Mobile. If so, hats off to them for creating a hard-to-crack-lock, but there gotta be something I didn't try?

Or is it possible that the lock is placed outside the phone, in the network? If so, how would that work - is the phone transmitting details like IMEI when calling?

Again, thankful for any and all input!

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos

According to my provider here, those "SIM does not allow connection"-messages are only for SIM-locks. If this is correct, my phone must still be locked to T-Mobile. If so, hats off to them for creating a hard-to-crack-lock, but there gotta be something I didn't try?

Or is it possible that the lock is placed outside the phone, in the network? If so, how would that work - is the phone transmitting details like IMEI when calling?

did you see this post from the unlock simcard thread?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232107&page=54 (post #531)

Reactions: al_f

al_f

Jan 4, 2014

Thanks, yes I tried it (direct link to post), but maybe I overlooked something. It starts to get challenging to keep track of all the PG58's I've been running, but I'll give it another go!

Any particular reason why the guide says to get 3.32 not 3.33 - would it make sense to install some older stock 401 RUU first? And I have a feeling I should avoid those RUU's marked TMOUS as I expect them to keep the T-Mobile connection.

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
Thanks, yes I tried it (direct link to post), but maybe I overlooked something. It starts to get challenging to keep track of all the PG58's I've been running, but I'll give it another go!

Any particular reason why the guide says to get 3.32 not 3.33 - would it make sense to install some older stock 401 RUU first? And I have a feeling I should avoid those RUU's marked TMOUS as I expect them to keep the T-Mobile connection.

no there is no particular reason for the firmware version
maybe the guide was written before 3.33 fw get released

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27813767&postcount=531 (edited link)

This guide solved my problem.

A little recap:

I have the 4ext recovery. After unsuccessful attempts with ARHD 7.3 I reinstalled Cyanogenmod 9.1 for pyramid. After this too proved unsuccesful I followed the above linked guide.

• Download the 1.17 firmware for your device from the User Friendly Firmware thread.
  • Follow the instructions in the thread to flash the firmware.
So far, so good.

• Remove the SD Card & get rid of the PG58IMG.zip & put PG58DIAG.nbh on your SD Card.
  • Reboot to the bootloader & clear S-58 data by selecting appropriate options.
  • Once data has been wiped, pull out the battery to power off the phone & exit from the diag.
  • Remove the SD Card & get rid of the PG58IMG.nbh.
Clear S58 data reportedly succeeded, but after removing battery and switching back on, volume down + power didn't work. Instead of going to bootloader menu, the phone consequently tried to start cyanogenmod and got stuck in a booting loop or just hang during startup. I had to remove the battery a couple of times before I was able to get back to bootloader.

It's not clearly stated in the guide, but I got the impression the phone shouldn't boot normally after DIAG, but go directly to those last steps:

• Download the 3.32 firmware for your device from the User Friendly Firmware thread.
  • Follow the instructions in the thread to flash the firmware.
However it looks like it doesn't matter. I tried many ROMS in vain.

Then I followed the guide once more, making sure to use the Firmware 3.32 Universal (Non-TMOUS). Then trying again with ARHD 7.3 and calling finally worked.

Case closed :)

al_f

Jan 4, 2014
Epilogue

Well, my problem was solved for, like 15 hours, but now I'm back at the "Your sim card does not allow a connection to this network" error message.

Several other people have reported that same problem. Bingley's solution doesn't work for me.

iviarck's problem resembles mine more closely. Regardless of my settings for preferred network, they return to WCDMA preferred. My sim works in other phones.

Blocked IMEI's are mentioned in the thread, so I checked my IMEI at T-mobile's site. The message is clear: "Your device is blocked and will not work on T-Mobile’s network".

Then I checked with http://checkesnfree.com/ which shows the T-mobile block, but where it seems the phone is not reported stolen. I assume it means that the original owner didn't fulfill contractual payment. Back to check out T-Mob's FAQ: "I purchased this device from another party. How do I unblock it? Unfortunately, T-Mobile is only able to assist the party that financed the device or agreed to the annual service term with payment options or contract information."

Now, from this thread it would look possible to use the phone in Norway regardless of the block and it certainly was for at least a year, according to the previous owner.

I made the phone work with a variety of SIMs now, so I'm sure it's not a matter of SIM-lock - it looks like IMEI blocking made it across the Atlantic. I'll talk to my provider and hopefully there is some possibility of lifting the block.

Edit: My provider says to talk to T-Mobile. So I'm stuck in the loop...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You found the right way to get supercid and, as far as I know, the only way to fully end the process with DIAG is to remove the battery.

Now try with a different recovery, for example 4ext, full wipe, and try some stock like rom like ARHD.