[Q] Unroot Verizon Galaxy S3

Search This thread

paraspy

Nov 19, 2012
Hello all,

I recently rooted my Galaxy S3 only to have my Mic fail on me 2 weeks later... Very dissatisfied with my Samsung about that - even though I am loving the phone. Anyways, back to the issue. Verizon has agreed to send me a replacement and I have to send them mine back. The problem is that I know that if I send them a rooted phone they will not honor the warranty, and I am having a very hard time flashing the Verizon Stock rom.

More specifically, and to see if I am doing anything wrong.. I used ODIN to flash a custom rooted rom onto my phone which worked perfectly, and now I am once again trying to use ODIN in order to flash the stock rom which I downloaded from goo.im - the file that I am using is HOME_I535VRALF2_I535VZWALF2_618049_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5

Simple steps - reboot into downloading mode -> check auto-reboot and reset time on ODIN and choose the file above under PDA. All works fine, the phone reboots and I get a PASS, and yet my phone is stuck on the Verizon 4G loading intro. I think that's what they call a soft brick.

The first time this happened, I flashed a different rom and the phone loaded properly but it had the open lock symbol under Samsung which I think means that it was unlocked.. Either way, it was not the unrooted and official stock rom which is what I need on my phone in order to keep my warranty. The file that DOES work is COMBINATION_I535VRBLJ1_I535VZWBLJ1_381038_REV09_user_low_ship(NO_WIPE).tar.md5

I have followed the above steps over and over again and I always get the same result - stock doesn't work, the other one does.

Any ideas? What could the issue be?

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
According to Droidstyles guide before his recent edits, if it freezes on the boot logo after a successful Odin factory flash then you're supposed to pull the battery, boot into recovery, and do a factory reset. Try that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Watoy

Sep 26, 2011
According to Droidstyles guide before his recent edits, if it freezes on the boot logo after a successful Odin factory flash then you're supposed to pull the battery, boot into recovery, and do a factory reset. Try that.

Yes this works, also had this happen to me, and to boot to recovery just hold home+volume up+power button. It should work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

MistaC87

Dec 1, 2012
You should probably factory reset after flashing, for you don't want to be running a buggy phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Use a full wipe version and this would not happen...part of the reason why i removed nowipe versions such as f2. But yes as slimsnoop said, data wipe /factory reset will fix that.

Nov 29, 2012
Hickory
So I bought the s3 Verizon it was rooted and switched to cricket pre paid before my friend sold it to me he tried to root back to Verizon but of course he failed, is there anyway to get the phone completelyback to stock even though he switched providers cuz the phone is stuck on the activating part I'm no noobe at rooting just don't know much bout this phone

Sent from my LT28at using xda app-developers app

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
is there anyway to get the phone completelyback to stock even though he switched providers cuz the phone is stuck on the activating part I'm no noobe at rooting just don't know much bout this phone

Follow section 5 of Droidstyle's (the guy above you) guide. Click the link in his signature. I'm not sure about how this handles modified network configuration though, that's not something I remotely know anything about.

I thought there was a way to bypass the activation screen? On older phones, you could tap the four corners of the screen or something like that? Anyone ever heard that before?

Reactions: FhtmChandley85

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    is there anyway to get the phone completelyback to stock even though he switched providers cuz the phone is stuck on the activating part I'm no noobe at rooting just don't know much bout this phone

Follow section 5 of Droidstyle's (the guy above you) guide. Click the link in his signature. I'm not sure about how this handles modified network configuration though, that's not something I remotely know anything about.

I thought there was a way to bypass the activation screen? On older phones, you could tap the four corners of the screen or something like that? Anyone ever heard that before?