Anyway to become a mobile Hotspot?

Search This thread

sebastianraven

Jan 4, 2007
Laguna Beach
I had my last phone work well with FoxiFi when I needed to use my tablet in the wild. Now, it appears KitKat (I believe) has this feature locked out. Any work aroinds here, rooted or not? I'm not brave enough to mess with SQL tables without knowing which one to change.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

lucky_strike33

I had my last phone work well with FoxiFi when I needed to use my tablet in the wild. Now, it appears KitKat (I believe) has this feature locked out. Any work aroinds here, rooted or not? I'm not brave enough to mess with SQL tables without knowing which one to change.

WiFi tether router in the play store. Look in q and a section.

My All New One

sebastianraven

Jan 4, 2007
Laguna Beach
Maybe I should clarify a bit. Verizon charges to use hotspot. FoxiFi got around that issue. The WiFi tether app doesn't actually do anything other than access Hotspot.

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
What if a person doesn't have unlimited data? Should he pay...
And what if he is overseas and he is using a GSM carrier

If you're not on an unlimited plan, tethering isn't any extra. It's only an additional fee if you're still on unlimited (because Verizon sucks). Unless if you haven't changed your plan since they put that policy in place...and if you haven't, well, do so.

If you're overseas on a GSM carrier, why would you be using a Verizon device? Especially since the Dev Edition is available and can be S-OFF'd easily.

must.sayim

Mar 6, 2013
sanaa
If you're not on an unlimited plan, tethering isn't any extra. It's only an additional fee if you're still on unlimited (because Verizon sucks). Unless if you haven't changed your plan since they put that policy in place...and if you haven't, well, do so.

If you're overseas on a GSM carrier, why would you be using a Verizon device? Especially since the Dev Edition is available and can be S-OFF'd easily.

We have CDMA in my country :D and it's better than the GSM carriers

TheBiles

Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
www.flickr.com

Mobile hotspot absolutely does cost extra on Verizon, even if you have a data-limited plan.

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
That's only for the "More Everything" plans. It costs extra for everyone else either as an add-on or a more expensive data tier.

--
Sent from my HTC One M8

From what I understood, unless if you're still on a grandfathered plan of any type (maybe specifically unlimited data grandfathered, I'm not sure), wifi tethering is supposed to be free. Unless if you have proof otherwise, I'm going to stick with my belief.

That being said, I still have unlimited data, and I'm only going to give it up when they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers, so regardless of their actual policies, it doesn't affect me. Besides, now that we have S-Off and full root, free tethering should be relatively simple once someone figures out how to do it, if it hasn't already been solved.

TheBiles

Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
www.flickr.com
From what I understood, unless if you're still on a grandfathered plan of any type (maybe specifically unlimited data grandfathered, I'm not sure), wifi tethering is supposed to be free. Unless if you have proof otherwise, I'm going to stick with my belief.

That being said, I still have unlimited data, and I'm only going to give it up when they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers, so regardless of their actual policies, it doesn't affect me. Besides, now that we have S-Off and full root, free tethering should be relatively simple once someone figures out how to do it, if it hasn't already been solved.

My "proof" is that it wouldn't let me enable the hotspot on my phone with my 10GB/month plan. You have to upgrade to their new plans for the free tethering.

--
Sent from my HTC One M8

tech_head

My "proof" is that it wouldn't let me enable the hotspot on my phone with my 10GB/month plan. You have to upgrade to their new plans for the free tethering.

--
Sent from my HTC One M8

Actually Verizon lost an FCC appeal for LTE, they must allow tethering for plans that are not "Unlimited".
Ask them for the provisioning if you are not on an unlimited plan.