[i537] Safestrap'd 4.2.2 to Root'd 4.4.2 Guide

Search This thread

casadelbeard

Feb 16, 2013
Ruston
Here is everything you need for a flawless upgrade from a 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 on the i537 hardware.

Step 0: Download this zip file. It has everything that we will need (except Odin3. Don't want my link/thread/post pulled).

Step 1 - Update from to 4.3.

Download and unzip the Stock ML2 4.3 image. Reboot your phone into Download Mode (Hold Volume Down while booting up, then press Volume Up when prompted). Don’t worry about current root, SafeStrap, etc - as it’s all going away soon.

Step 2 - Match up the file names to the four ‘Files’ sections in the lower right corner of Odin3. The individual filenames of the .tar.md5 files will be used as an identifier. Check “update bootloader” and click ‘Start’. Once it finishes and reboots into 4.3, enable USB debugging mode on the phone.

Step 2- Reboot into Download Mode. Apply Pwnedkernel 4.3 with Odin using the PDA File section.

Step3 - Now let the phone boot up. You will need USB Debugging enabled again, and ensure that you have USB ADB access.

Step 4 - Once ready, run Saferoot to the running pwned 4.3 image (install.bat for Windows, install.sh for Linux/Mac OS). Follow the terminal instructions until completion.

Reboot. Launch SuperSU and update the binary. Disable Knox with your new root access. Ignore any issues with Modems, etc.

Step 5 - Flash original 4.3 kernel back with Odin3 using the PDA File section.

Step 6 - Place your SafeStrap apk, PwnedKitKat, and SuperSU to your SD Card.

Step 7 - Install SafeStrap (make sure to launch it for the bootloader to install correctly)

Step 8 - Reboot into SafeStrap recovery. Flash PwnedKitKat.zip, followed by SuperSU.zip. Do not reboot in between, clear cache, or any other nonsense.

Step 9 - When finished, reboot back into DOWNLOAD MODE. Now flash the stock KitKat kernel using Odin3 (using the PDA File section).

Finished!

Shout-out to: Hashcode, My-blue-snog-box, TransformixS4, & Sunderwear. Y’all have kept me sane dealing with this phone and it’s locked bootloader.

baldusiek

Nov 1, 2012
?

Tell me how do you download your zip because after an hour of "downloading to my pc" I yet have to see any file in any of my download folders.
2nd of all I made the mega account, tried downloading through the account to my pc, then through the cloud, then through the sync & still am unable to physically see any download happening onto my pc hdd... Although I respect the owner, Kim Dotcom there is something wrong since you can't simply even download a file like it is normally available, (a standard) through your browser..

Please explain to me how do you get the 1.67gb file onto the pc because I tried everything I could think of and I am unable to & I am not a noob.

This is the first time i stumbled upon something weird like this..

ShaDDES

Apr 30, 2014
when i update to Kitkat on safestrap it says "Checking MD5 File... Skipping MD5 Check: no MD5 File found." Should i be worried?

madpb

Jan 1, 2012
HP Touchpad
Google Pixel 4a
Here is everything you need for a flawless upgrade from a 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 on the i537 hardware.

Step 0: Download this zip file. It has everything that we will need (except Odin3. Don't want my link/thread/post pulled).

Download and unzip the Stock ML2 4.3 image. Reboot your phone into Download Mode (Hold Volume Down while booting up, then press Volume Up when prompted). Don’t worry about current root, SafeStrap, etc - as it’s all going away soon.

Step 2 - Match up the file names to the four ‘Files’ sections in the lower right corner of Odin3. The individual filenames of the .tar.md5 files will be used as an identifier. Check “update bootloader” and click ‘Start’. Once it finishes and reboots into 4.3, enable USB debugging mode on the phone.

Step 2- Reboot into Download Mode. Apply Pwnedkernel 4.3 with Odin using the PDA File section.

Step3 - Now let the phone boot up. You will need USB Debugging enabled again, and ensure that you have USB ADB access.

Step 4 - Once ready, run Saferoot to the running pwned 4.3 image (install.bat for Windows, install.sh for Linux/Mac OS). Follow the terminal instructions until completion.

Reboot. Launch SuperSU and update the binary. Disable Knox with your new root access. Ignore any issues with Modems, etc.

Step 7 - Install SafeStrap (make sure to launch it for the bootloader to install correctly)

Step 8 - Reboot into SafeStrap recovery. Flash PwnedKitKat.zip, followed by SuperSU.zip. Do not reboot in between, clear cache, or any other nonsense.

Step 9 - When finished, reboot back into DOWNLOAD MODE. Now flash the stock KitKat kernel using Odin3 (using the PDA File section).

Finished!

Shout-out to: Hashcode, My-blue-snog-box, TransformixS4, & Sunderwear. Y’all have kept me sane dealing with this phone and it’s locked bootloader.

I do not understand which 4 files to put where
Match up the file names to the four ‘Files’ ... How do you MATCH them up. I only see one file to match up called CSC
What does the AP CL and CP and how do those match up to Bootloader PDA and PHONE ??

scottcollin

Mar 27, 2011
Display issues

As soon as I installed 442 kernel display issues popped up. The screen is brighter on the left than on the right with vertical lines running throughout.
Started whole process again... issues go away until 442 kernel is reapplied.
Any suggestions? :confused:

Black6spdZ

May 7, 2006
Waterford MI
I was able to get Eclipse TW 4.02 SS ROM to boot and it looks very nice so far.. as close to AOSP as we will get. I started with the usual 4.3 > TR> SS 3.71 > NC9 Update >KK Kernel > SS3.73 upgrade path, then downloaded the newest eclipse 4.02 SS ROM and 4.4.2 i537 modules. I went ahead and inserted the modules into the eclipse ROM just to save an additional flash step, then flashed the new rom, wiped data,dalvik and cache then rebooted to download and flashed the KK i537 kernel on top. After a few minutes I'm at the setup screen.

So far the only issue I'm battling is the default camera FC, the Google camera app doesn't seem to work either

Last edited:

lotus814

Jan 18, 2010
downloading issues?

Tell me how do you download your zip because after an hour of "downloading to my pc" I yet have to see any file in any of my download folders.
2nd of all I made the mega account, tried downloading through the account to my pc, then through the cloud, then through the sync & still am unable to physically see any download happening onto my pc hdd... Although I respect the owner, Kim Dotcom there is something wrong since you can't simply even download a file like it is normally available, (a standard) through your browser..

Please explain to me how do you get the 1.67gb file onto the pc because I tried everything I could think of and I am unable to & I am not a noob.

This is the first time i stumbled upon something weird like this..

I have downloaded the file 3 times now (accidentally deleted it the first, then ineeded it on a laptop at a friends house. Downloaded flawlessly. Im FAARRR from a noob, but honestly, a 10 year old could do it. I did my sons active and mine. Try using a differrnt browser or something. Only took about 20 minutes total to download the whole file. I used IE every time. I dont know if thays the dame browser you used but if not, then try that. (I know this post is a little older, but for someone like me who just picked up a couple actives this week it came in mighty handy. Thanks for the tutorial. Does anyone know of any 4.4.2 touchwiz based rome that I can use now that I have safestrap (3.73) running? Or is this basically all we are going to get. Im ok with that but woild love a deodexed TW rom to use. Have trued deodexing mine several times now and while it says thay it worked and is complete, its still odexed after reboot from recovery??!?!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Finished!

Finished!

Great guide!
    I'm glad I helped and thanks for the shout out! :)
    I hope I will help you in more things!
    -TransformixS4

I hate to be a nit picker, but shouldn't this say "from 4.2 to 4.3"? ;)
    Thanks for a great post and the zip file! Makes it nice n easy for us. Can't wait to flash later! :)