Android 4.4.2 Omnirom

Search This thread

Pawprints1986

Mar 26, 2014
I read about an omnirom available for our captivate glides running 4.4.2

Anyone tried running this yet? How stable is it?

I found the link here: http://true-android.blogspot.ca/2014/03/update-samsung-captivate-glide-sgh-i927.html

I also dont know, for any rom that has separate gapps, when would you flash those? After or before the new rom? at the same time? Like, if after a ROM flash it automatically reboots, it will boot up with no gapps and likely not run - correct?

Was just curious about how buggy it is. Even if down the road when things are smoother, im excited to see if i can get this one running!

bubor

Feb 7, 2013

Anyone tried running this yet? How stable is it?

I found the link here: http://true-android.blogspot.ca/2014/03/update-samsung-captivate-glide-sgh-i927.html

I also dont know, for any rom that has separate gapps, when would you flash those? After or before the new rom? at the same time? Like, if after a ROM flash it automatically reboots, it will boot up with no gapps and likely not run - correct?

Was just curious about how buggy it is. Even if down the road when things are smoother, im excited to see if i can get this one running!

you can find more information here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541182
Gapps is included. You must install rom zip first, because it formats system partition.
Official gapps doesnt compatible with our phone, I think its better not installing.

Last edited:
hmm..

Anyone tried running this yet?

I am using omni ROM . . somehow I find it less buggy than cm 11
Nevertheless I would wanna give my thanks and even though I am pointing out bugs . . I really do appreciate his work .. A lot :)

Omnirom is very very stable has all if not most of the theming features except for trebuchet launcher

//It is a bit more battery consuming but I like it cause I am able to run my processor at 1.4ghz which is sweeeet!!!
//It has issues with OK Google functionality the audio is lagged and irritating
//The Google experience launcher is not built for it

//It has issues with Google maps 7 but there is a fix to have 6th version to back you up when needed

//it has issues with Skype and the fix is work in progress I guess..

//GPs is a bit slow but works

//WiFi direct crashes for me

Once in a blue moon the phone might rebot itself cause of a crash..

Though considering WiFi tethering , 3g switching, link2sd ,memory swapping
Ksm everything is working really try it . . its an amazing experience from an amazing phone

Pawprints1986

Mar 26, 2014
Can someone tell me the difference between wifi direct, wifi sharing, and wifi sharing manager??

Wifi itself is working in 4.4.2 right?

Also, were your keyboard backlights working automatically or did you ened qwerty led?

is qwerty led something that needs to be running all the time. or "ongoing" in the top drawer?

Makshow

Jun 10, 2013
Kharkov
Wi-fi direct is a type of communication between two devices, similar to Bluetooth, so you can send files. I never used this, even when transfering big files from one phone to another, it's better to use an USB OTG cable - the connection speed is lightning fast!
Don't know what you mean about wi-fi sharing. Maybe wi-fi tethering (hotspot) - it's when you share your phone 2G/3G internet connection via wi-fi. This thing is working fine. Wi-fi itself is working, of course.
As for keyboard light: when tested OmniROM, I used liblight solution, but the qwertyled using is simple too: just launch it and you're done. While the service is running, keyboard light will work.
Now I'm on CM 11, and I have 11 days of uptime already, I recommend this ROM (but that's just my taste). In CM 11 keyboard backlights are working from the box, no need for qwertyled.

Also, I looked at the link you posted, to the true-android blog. Please, don't use the guide one can found there, it's awful. You can't install 4.4.2 ROM with recommended 2.6.3.0 TWRP, the correct one is 2.6.3.1 from bubor here, and you don't need any gapps beside included in the ROM.

Better use this guide from stormdude124: [UPDATED][2014][How-to]Everything you need to know and do to your Captivate Glide, it's updated, it's verified and there's no ads!

Pawprints1986

Mar 26, 2014
Now I'm on CM 11, and I have 11 days of uptime already, I recommend this ROM (but that's just my taste). In CM 11 keyboard backlights are working from the box, no need for qwertyled.

Also, I looked at the link you posted, to the true-android blog. Please, don't use the guide one can found there, it's awful. You can't install 4.4.2 ROM with recommended 2.6.3.0 TWRP, the correct one is 2.6.3.1 from bubor here, and you don't need any gapps beside included in the ROM.

Better use this guide from stormdude124: [UPDATED][2014][How-to]Everything you need to know and do to your Captivate Glide, it's updated, it's verified and there's no ads!

Can you use a cyanogen mod rom with clockworkmod recovery installed? i remember trying cyanogenmod with my phone and couldnt get it to work.

Makshow

Jun 10, 2013
Kharkov
Just flash TWRP 2.6.3.1 from link above, it's superior to clockworkmod recovery (CWM) in all ways: touch interface, working backups with compression, charging support and it allows to install KitKat roms. With CWM you can install ROMs up to android 4.3, so, you still can install CM 10.1.3 or CM 10.2 with CWM, but not CM 11.

about wifi direct and sharing...

Can someone tell me the difference between wifi direct, wifi sharing, and wifi sharing manager??

Wifi itself is working in 4.4.2 right?

Also, were your keyboard backlights working automatically or did you ened qwerty led?

is qwerty led something that needs to be running all the time. or "ongoing" in the top drawer?

Hey yeah the difference btw wifi direct and sharing is that in wifi direct you connect two devices directly to transfer files...
in wifi sharing you need to host a web adress to share your files
as a result in wifi sharing you host a list of your stuff on a web adress(local) which gets downloaded by other devices on your wifi connection
and a wifi sharing manager can either do this (host ur files using an ip) or my personal favorite is astro which can acess my pc's sharing folder over wifi which is preety awesome>..unlimited storage :)

also note that in a wifi sharing manager you cannot recieve files easily . . maybe airdroid but it can only run on a pc

wifi sharing apps are airdroid and other file managers like root browser
wifi direct requires specific drivers and libs... i guess.. hence not all devices can do it ..

anyway you should go for cm 11 or omni both are incredibly stable with an occasional hiccup.. which is occasional heh
also would suggest that if you do proceed to install please follow from the developer sources on xda rather than some blog etc

Top Liked Posts