Aren't you afraid of not getting the updates in a reasonable amount of time?

Search This thread

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
I see we're all going crazy about the specs of the Xperia Z2, but no one here appears to be concerned about how slow sony is to roll out updates, Kitkat 4.4. was released on the 31th of October, and the Xperia Z1 , sony's current flagship still hasn't got it :/ ... 4 months after the release , they plan on delivering the update on April, 5 months, maybe 5 and a half months after 4.4 was really released :( and they're not making any promises of improving, what do you guys think?

Reactions: perovero

JMonkeYJ

Jul 22, 2008
That's definitely a concern of mine. Sony is worse than the major Android manufacturers (Motorola, HTC, Samsung, even LG is rolling out its Kitkat update) in terms of updates. One consolation is that Android updates aren't as big or crucial as they used to be since it is a pretty mature OS at this point, but I can't deny that I find Sony's update speed disappointing. I don't think it will stop me from getting the Z2, tho.

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
You have problems with 4.3?

It's incredible how people aren't satisfied, ever...

Wait and you'll get your KitKat...Sony is actually building their UI, it's not only cheap mask over Google framework - that's why they need time.

Wen you get KitKat you'll request another version...or you'll open thread to request root for kitkat...

Relax, you still have almost one whole year of support and everything will come and be released on time.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

X

x102x96x

i

I see we're all going crazy about the specs of the Xperia Z2, but no one here appears to be concerned about how slow sony is to roll out updates, Kitkat 4.4. was released on the 31th of October, and the Xperia Z1 , sony's current flagship still hasn't got it :/ ... 4 months after the release , they plan on delivering the update on April, 5 months, maybe 5 and a half months after 4.4 was really released :( and they're not making any promises of improving, what do you guys think?
Read:
Note On Flagships Support

It s so good If companies support their flagships for OS upgrade But there s no different between Sony or Samsung or ...
currently i m using Note3 on JB 4.3 however 4.4.2 for all variants released from Samsung But it s too slow.
If you want number of OS version you should buy nexus devices. that Google support them ~2 years (like Galaxy Nexus) with fast upgrade and release.
But If u r thinking about more functionality on ur smartphone u have to buy samsung, sony or ...

/*Companies don't think about u who bought a flagship 4-5 months ago.
*they think about who want to upgrade from old phone. so they release high-end phone every 6months to get markets. */

Last edited:

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009

Wait and you'll get your KitKat...Sony is actually building their UI, it's not only cheap mask over Google framework - that's why they need time.

Wen you get KitKat you'll request another version...or you'll open thread to request root for kitkat...

Relax, you still have almost one whole year of support and everything will come and be released on time.

Do you really think that getting the update 5 months later is acceptable? It's not like we're getting a new UI with sony's implementation of kitkat, we should actually :rolleyes: , I don't understand why reasonably demanding for things, makes us a**holes, should we just keep quiet and be content with what companies give us? How do you think HTC and Motorola updated their game ? By listening the the users complain :D , they want our money? They'd better work for it!

Do you really think that getting the update 5 months later is acceptable? It's not like we're getting a new UI with sony's implementation of kitkat, we should actually :rolleyes: , I don't understand why reasonably demanding for things, makes us a**holes, should we just keep quiet and be content with what companies give us? How do you think HTC and Motorola updated their game ? By listening the the users complain :D , they want our money? They'd better work for it!

What are you really doing here - takes as is or leave it

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm on a Nexus 5 and I love both pure Android and quicker updates. Unfortunately the lack of Hw specs (battery and microsd) will drive me to Z2 and its slowlier upgrades of sw.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
I'm on a Nexus 5 and I love both pure Android and quicker updates. Unfortunately the lack of Hw specs (battery and microsd) will drive me to Z2 and its slowlier upgrades of sw.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We're on similar situation , I can't stand the awful battery life of the nexus 5 , I don't miss the SD card at all since I have the 32 gb version and that's enough for me, what bothers me too is that the 16:9 photos are 6 MP, I would like 12-13 MP photos, I don't need 20 MP photos but I'm not complaining either Haha

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

JMonkeYJ

Jul 22, 2008
Some more thoughts on slower updates that might make your mind rest a little easier:

As someone else pointed out, if you take Samsung as an example, faster updates aren't always a good thing. Samsung devices are usually pretty well optimized for the version of Android they ship with, but when they update to a new major version of Android the performance can get substantially worse. I've noticed this with several Samsung devices. So giving a manufacturer the time to make sure everything works well on their hardware is a good thing. Keep in mind brand-new Android releases are often tailored to a subset of Android hardware in the latest Nexus devices, and hardware differences in other devices might take a while to perfect.

Also, new major versions of Android often have bad bugs. Look at Motorola who invested a lot of effort into getting 4.4 on the Moto X very soon after it was released. Unfortunately 4.4 had several major bugs including broken Exchange support! Moto X owners who upgraded were stuck with broken devices until Moto released 4.4.2 months later. So it is also good to wait for at least a couple of point releases before a manufacturer commits to a new version of Android.

Nexus devices don't have these issues because they can just keep releasing new updates quickly, but if a manufacturer's customized Android actually offers valuable improvements (which I think Sony's does) it makes sense to take a little longer.

I still wish Sony were faster, tho ;)

Mobe1969

Apr 4, 2013
Brisbane
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
I'm a bit worried. I honestly Sony would concentrate on one flagship per year, like everyone else. I'm on an XZ and am sick of trying to keep up. I'm considering my next phone now, but I can't say if the z2 is a slam dunk now. I do like the sound of the speakers though...

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
I've used Sony (Ericsson) phones for years. Late updates are a condition you either live with or jump ship. Sony has always been notoriously late with update releases.

Sent from my C6906 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

riginal

Jan 2, 2011
Personally not worried about getting updates late but a bit worried about not getting updates at all after a while & becoming abandoned

I mean Samsung is releasing Kitkat for GS3 which is a device from may 2012, Not sure if it's the same with Sony specially with their two flagship a year strategy

Last edited:
Reactions: perovero

thsecmaniac

Jun 21, 2012
I'm not. If there is not a disturbing bug in Z2, I still use it. If the new feature that roll out from Sony and Google with an update is not necessary and attracting to me,I don't change my phone to other brand.

SuperMarioGalaxy

Apr 7, 2013
Who cares what OS version you got? Unless there is a bug or something, I don't care if I ever get any updates. I would even prefer the older version now since they messed up the notification screen.

Reactions: luisoman2000

luisoman2000

Jul 4, 2012
To be honest, Jellybean is stable enough so that we don't necesarily "need" further updates. I'm "suck" on 4.1.2 on my optimus g and don't really mind at all(And yes, LG is worse at abandoning their flagships). Got kit kat on my nexus 7 and don't really see much difference. I miss the great sony UI though. Still torn between this phone and the z1.

Reactions: Ihanson

MrJiM

Nov 19, 2008
Göteborg
I buy phone - start to see if everything works - root - flash custom rom. Never worries about updates. :D

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
And tell me what features of 4.4 you so desperately need having just 4.3 ? I understand the importance of an update, but on the other and I think people exaggerate the need for them a lot...

So to answer the question - no, i'm not afraid. Frankly speaking, I don't really care, as long as it won't take a year or so.

JMonkeYJ

Jul 22, 2008
And tell me what features of 4.4 you so desperately need having just 4.3 ?

A pretty major update in 4.4 for devices with on-screen buttons, like the Xperia series, is "immersive mode" (http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...go-truly-full-screen-hide-the-navigation-bar/). There are other nice updates, and maybe that one doesn't interest you, but to me it's a big deal. You never know when Google is going to throw a great new feature like that in.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Personally not worried about getting updates late but a bit worried about not getting updates at all after a while & becoming abandoned

I mean Samsung is releasing Kitkat for GS3 which is a device from may 2012, Not sure if it's the same with Sony specially with their two flagship a year strategy
    Who cares what OS version you got? Unless there is a bug or something, I don't care if I ever get any updates. I would even prefer the older version now since they messed up the notification screen.
    To be honest, Jellybean is stable enough so that we don't necesarily "need" further updates. I'm "suck" on 4.1.2 on my optimus g and don't really mind at all(And yes, LG is worse at abandoning their flagships). Got kit kat on my nexus 7 and don't really see much difference. I miss the great sony UI though. Still torn between this phone and the z1.