Kindle Fire HD losing root access - retry

Search This thread

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
I apparently posted in the wrong section (for kindle 2 in case anyone wants to delete that one).

I rooted my 7" Kindle fire HD shortly after getting it. To my surprise there was an automated program that did it for me so I didn't have to learn a whole lot. That was ~ 5 months ago. The big thing was to add the play store and a custom launcher which I did (apex launcher in case it matters).

Yesterday the only launcher available to me was the kindle launcher. I thought perhaps an update went wrong so I uninstalled and reinstalled the apex launcher via the play store. The launcher works, but I have to access it by going to the play store and clicking "open" on the app page (where you could install/uninstall the app). I searched how to install a launcher since I remembered taking different step other than just installing from the play store. The article mentioned going to app/data and when I do it says i no longer have root access.

I tried running the root program and I got a access denied message and root failed try again.

My question ends up being did I actually loose root access or is it something else? All I really need is to have the home button take me to the apex launcher and I wouldn't know anything had changed.

It was suggested that I run root checker (Thanks mindmajick). I did and it said Sorry, no root access. My software version 7.2.3 .

Any suggestions for a next step?

miztah1999z

Feb 6, 2013
Seattle, WA
OK, this is no biggie. It happened to me. So if you don't have root access, but you still have play store installed, it's just a matter of rooting it again. But one last thing to check. Go to you file explorer or root explorer and go to " \" I am supposing you know how to do that. You get there by if using es file explorer leading up when you first open it.When you get to \, then you navigate to "system ".Then look file. A folder that is called "Xbin" and open it. If you have a file called "su " in it you are still rooted and I don't know what is going on. If you don't have it, then you just uninstall all things you added from the play store that are system files (optional. If younger like me a bit OCD them you should do it.) Then uninstall superuser and apex, and then reboot. Then root the kindle fire HD again. I suppose you know how to do that.

Please give me a thanks if I helped you, and if this doesn't work, I will see what else we can do.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Zuggel

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
A folder that is called "Xbin" and open it. If you have a file called "su " in it you are still rooted and I don't know what is going on. If you don't have it, then you just uninstall all things you added from the play store that are system files (optional. If younger like me a bit OCD them you should do it.) Then uninstall superuser and apex, and then reboot. Then root the kindle fire HD again. I suppose you know how to do that.

There was not a file called su in the Xbin folder.

So if i'm lazy/busy I can uninstall superuser, apex and then reroot it? Do you know what happened and how it was caused? Is doing as you mentioned preferable to "restoring to factory default" as far as stability with any legacy fragments that will be left?

Sorry if these are beginner questions, but I've really only learned as much as I needed to to root my kindle (which wasn't much). On a related note, is there a post limit where you don't have to keep entering the captchas to post?

miztah1999z

Feb 6, 2013
Seattle, WA
Reroot your kindle. Reset to factory defaults will leave some traces, and then you try to reroot it, you get a bricked kindle. just uninstall things manually, the super user application and leave the market on there, but uninstall apex. Then root it using binary tool and qemu. Root.

edit you have to uninstall super user and apex launcher and reboot the kindle. Then you territory it using said methods.

Last edited:

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
the super user application and leave the market on there, but uninstall apex. Then root it using binary tool and qemu. Root.

edit you have to uninstall super user and apex launcher and reboot the kindle. Then you territory it using said methods.

Apex hung on the uninstall, meaning it said uninstalling for about 10 minutes. I rebooted and i was given the option to install it in the play store so I assumed it was gone. Superuser also removed. I tried rooting it using RootQemu. It gave me an error in the second step

"Step 2 - Expoiting...
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied"

miztah1999z

Feb 6, 2013
Seattle, WA
OK. I want you to installation bin4y method. You run the run me in that, and make sure adb driver is working. After. Binary method your kindle will be slow and sluggish. That's OK. Run the qemu root and follow instructiona, and you should be fine

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Ok im on my computer now, i will type better. Download the Bin4y Rooting mehtod here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460
Then extract it, make sure adb is intalled by going to device manager and plug in kindel, make sure no yello or red exclamation points by Kindle fire or portable device. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LATEST JAVA
THen run the "RunMe.bat" in the Bin4y root folder. Follow the instructions. After you are done with that, kindle will be slow and sluggish. PLug in again, and run Rootqemu method (the "bat" file" ) and follow instructions and if computer doesnt recognize the kindle after each reboot, unplug it and plug it back in. After qemu root done, check kindle for superuser app, and open your es file explorer. GO to settings, and root settings. Put a checkmark by EVERYTHING! and if a popup comes saying "Es file explorer root premission" something like that, click grant/allow. Then you are rooted!

Thanks if i helped.

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
Still nothing. When I ran the Bin4y is asked if I wanted to do a restore. While I was going wtf do I do now, it apparently timed out and did it anyway.

Once that was done I ran rootqemu and got the same error message: "Step 2 - Expoiting...

I appreciate your help!

Krsmqn

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 5
Did you ever disable OTA (Over The Air) Updates? When you rooted the first time were you running 7.2.1 or 7.2.2? The updates will remove root. To me, that's what it sounds like. Someone will have an answer.... in fact, if you are willing to invest $13, you should check out both links in my signature. They would provide a permanent solution to your issue.

Good Luck!

miztah1999z

Feb 6, 2013
Seattle, WA
Still nothing. When I ran the Bin4y is asked if I wanted to do a restore. While I was going wtf do I do now, it apparently timed out and did it anyway.

Once that was done I ran rootqemu and got the same error message: "Step 2 - Expoiting...

I appreciate your help!

Do you have ADB drivers and Java the latest version installed? Any way, keep your KFHD unlocked when you are doing the "RunME" from Bin4y ROOT many android method. If you have ADB and Java installed, and your kindle is plugged in a USB 2.0 or 3.0 slot on your computer, you run Bin4y runme and watch for a popup on your kindle that says restore in the bottom left(i think). Press restore. Then after that is done its slow etc etc (in before post) if bin4y is done correctly qemu should run fine.

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
Did you ever disable OTA (Over The Air) Updates? When you rooted the first time were you running 7.2.1 or 7.2.2? The updates will remove root. To me, that's what it sounds like. Someone will have an answer.... in fact, if you are willing to invest $13, you should check out both links in my signature. They would provide a permanent solution to your issue.

No, I never disabled OTA updates, apparently I should have read a little more than I did...but it worked for a couple of months after the update. I'm in no hurry for a fix...I was going to say I could try making one, but i'm not going to take the time right now for that :silly: . I might look into ordering one just in case.

Good Luck!

Do you have ADB drivers and Java the latest version installed? Any way, keep your KFHD unlocked when you are doing the "RunME" from Bin4y ROOT many android method. If you have ADB and Java installed, and your kindle is plugged in a USB 2.0 or 3.0 slot on your computer, you run Bin4y runme and watch for a popup on your kindle that says restore in the bottom left(i think). Press restore. Then after that is done its slow etc etc (in before post) if bin4y is done correctly qemu should run fine.

Yes the adb drivers are installed and I have the latest java. I'm not sure if it was unlocked or not. I did not press restore, when that came up I was too busy going oh sh!t, what do I do now and then it did something on it's own. I don't think it restored it since it is not running slow. I will hopefully have time tomorrow to mess with it a little more.

miztah1999z

Feb 6, 2013
Seattle, WA
Yes the adb drivers are installed and I have the latest java. I'm not sure if it was unlocked or not. I did not press restore, when that came up I was too busy going oh sh!t, what do I do now and then it did something on it's own. I don't think it restored it since it is not running slow. I will hopefully have time tomorrow to mess with it a little more.

Be sure to click the restore next time. And it WILL be slow and sluggish. Then just remember to use QemuRoot method! THIS IS A MUST! YOU CAN"T DO SH*T ON YOUR KINDLE IF YOU DON'T DO THE QEMUROOT.

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
Be sure to click the restore next time. And it WILL be slow and sluggish. Then just remember to use QemuRoot method! THIS IS A MUST! YOU CAN"T DO SH*T ON YOUR KINDLE IF YOU DON'T DO THE QEMUROOT.

Seems to have worked, just got done with RootQemu and it said it was done. After the restore, I didn't have an pictures (icons, screen saver) which had me a little worried, they came back after step 3 though. Superuser is back on. Now to re-remember what I need to do now (adding turn off OTA updates to the list).

Thanks a lot for your help miztah!!

Krsmqn, i ordered one of those cables just in case I need it in the future. I figure for a few $ i would rather have it than not.

miztah1999z

Feb 6, 2013
Seattle, WA
Seems to have worked, just got done with RootQemu and it said it was done. After the restore, I didn't have an pictures (icons, screen saver) which had me a little worried, they came back after step 3 though. Superuser is back on. Now to re-remember what I need to do now (adding turn off OTA updates to the list).

Thanks a lot for your help miztah!!

Krsmqn, i ordered one of those cables just in case I need it in the future. I figure for a few $ i would rather have it than not.

No problem, I was in the same predicament as you a couple of weeks ago. Have fun with your rooted kindle! And be sure to disable Amazon OTA updates. Here is a link: (I would use method number 1 because you can use that utility for a while, and use it to fix a bricked Kindle, now that the bootloader has been cracked.) You don't really need that cable unless you are messing around with the bootloader.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086450

Last edited:

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the link. The cable is already on it's way via a slow boat from china. Figure I will have it in a month :)

I am now having a problem with the apex launcher. I had the regular version before and was going to try the pro this time. I installed it and when I go to run it it says "Apex launcher has stopped". When I go to the app description page, it give me the option to force stop but not to uninstall. I tried reinstalling it same thing. I moved the apk file to /system/app and gave it user R/W, group & other read only. then installed. Do i perhaps need to manually delete something?

Krsmqn

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 5
Try completely removing it from both system /application & data/ application (if applicable), save one to your sdcard. Then instead of clicking on the application to install, long press (on the one you saved to sdcard ) and choose move (to). Move the application to system /app. Do not install. Instead, long press and choose properties (at the bottom of the long press menu ). Change permissions to rw-r-r. Save. Do not Install. Reboot. You should see "kindle is upgrading" upon rebooting. When it's ready, you should have it as a launcher option.

Good luck.

miztah1999z

Feb 6, 2013
Seattle, WA
Or you could just delete the apex launcher from system. /Application and the data/app . Then reboot, install apex from play store and move from data application to system application, and change properties to rwxrxr and reboot without installing. Kinda the same thing just a little change in beginning.

Last edited:

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
I tried it that way you suggested Krsmqn, same thing, the error message saying apex launcher has stopped. I did not see a file to delete in the data/app folder unless it has an odd name.

Zuggel

Oct 28, 2012
Or you could just delete the apex launcher from system. /Application and the data/app . Then reboot, install apex from play store and move from data application to system application, and change properties to rwxrxr and reboot without installing. Kinda the same thing just a little change in beginning.

Seems to be working so far....I wonder if it was an issue because I was trying to use the pro version?

2 reboots and no issues!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, this is no biggie. It happened to me. So if you don't have root access, but you still have play store installed, it's just a matter of rooting it again. But one last thing to check. Go to you file explorer or root explorer and go to " \" I am supposing you know how to do that. You get there by if using es file explorer leading up when you first open it.When you get to \, then you navigate to "system ".Then look file. A folder that is called "Xbin" and open it. If you have a file called "su " in it you are still rooted and I don't know what is going on. If you don't have it, then you just uninstall all things you added from the play store that are system files (optional. If younger like me a bit OCD them you should do it.) Then uninstall superuser and apex, and then reboot. Then root the kindle fire HD again. I suppose you know how to do that.

Please give me a thanks if I helped you, and if this doesn't work, I will see what else we can do.

Reroot your kindle. Reset to factory defaults will leave some traces, and then you try to reroot it, you get a bricked kindle. just uninstall things manually, the super user application and leave the market on there, but uninstall apex. Then root it using binary tool and qemu. Root.

OK. I want you to installation bin4y method. You run the run me in that, and make sure adb driver is working. After. Binary method your kindle will be slow and sluggish. That's OK. Run the qemu root and follow instructiona, and you should be fine

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Ok im on my computer now, i will type better. Download the Bin4y Rooting mehtod here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460
    Then extract it, make sure adb is intalled by going to device manager and plug in kindel, make sure no yello or red exclamation points by Kindle fire or portable device. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LATEST JAVA
    THen run the "RunMe.bat" in the Bin4y root folder. Follow the instructions. After you are done with that, kindle will be slow and sluggish. PLug in again, and run Rootqemu method (the "bat" file" ) and follow instructions and if computer doesnt recognize the kindle after each reboot, unplug it and plug it back in. After qemu root done, check kindle for superuser app, and open your es file explorer. GO to settings, and root settings. Put a checkmark by EVERYTHING! and if a popup comes saying "Es file explorer root premission" something like that, click grant/allow. Then you are rooted!

Thanks if i helped.

Good Luck!

I appreciate your help!