[ZIP][CM7] Nook Color SDcard and emmc swap!

Search This thread

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
Umm..the OP hasn't posted to this thread in almost a year? I wouldn't count on any
pdates. This got merged into CM7 quite a while ago. I would guess someone will roll it into CM9 at one point.

With these old threads, you're kind of just taking a flyer and hoping it works. Like the person three posts above you did three or four months ago. :D

Well the thing is, it had been working just fine in CM9 for the last few times I'd played with it (CM9) but this last time I've had some issues so I was wondering if something had changed in CM9 that might require an update and posted here in hopes of maybe some of the people involved with the original flashable zip might be enticed out of the woodwork.

I am aware this has been rolled into CM7, that's where I first discovered the ability to do this and in a thread related to that discovered this one when I started trying to make CM9 work for me.

But yeah, it was working fine before IIRC, so I'm trying to see whether something has changed recently--I wouldn't be asking about it if had never worked for me before.

--bornagainpenguin

viogrep

Jul 31, 2010
Well the thing is, it had been working just fine in CM9 for the last few times I'd played with it (CM9) but this last time I've had some issues so I was wondering if something had changed in CM9 that might require an update and posted here in hopes of maybe some of the people involved with the original flashable zip might be enticed out of the woodwork.

I am aware this has been rolled into CM7, that's where I first discovered the ability to do this and in a thread related to that discovered this one when I started trying to make CM9 work for me.

But yeah, it was working fine before IIRC, so I'm trying to see whether something has changed recently--I wouldn't be asking about it if had never worked for me before.

--bornagainpenguin

Just passing though. Here is a thread to tell you how to repartition the nook to use all that free space for apps and whatnot.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1094371

I flashed option A. I then chose the option in CM9 to use internal storage for apps and media. This option made CM9 remap the free memory(what was on /mnt/emmc) to /mnt/sdcard ...voila, 5gb for media usage.

This flash will also allow you to choose that option in cm7 settings->application to do that same thing there.

So in reality... just use that. It does the same thing. you just dont have to reflash it every new rom. As the partitions stay the same forever(or you change them back). (clockwork mod recovery still sees /mnt/sdcard as the REAL sdcard, same as this flash. so all flashing needs to be done with an actual card)

Last edited:
Reactions: bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
Just passing though. Here is a thread to tell you how to repartition the nook to use all that free space for apps and whatnot.

I flashed option A. I then chose the option in CM9 to use internal storage for apps and media. This option made CM9 remap the free memory(what was on /mnt/emmc) to /mnt/sdcard ...voila, 5gb for media usage.

This flash will also allow you to choose that option in cm7 settings->application to do that same thing there.

Actually I already did that following Mr72's CM7 guide, when I was mostly using CM7. That's why I knew something like this was possible and went hunting for the types of zips mentioned in this thread.

So in reality... just use that. It does the same thing. you just dont have to reflash it every new rom. As the partitions stay the same forever(or you change them back). (clockwork mod recovery still sees /mnt/sdcard as the REAL sdcard, same as this flash. so all flashing needs to be done with an actual card)

I looked for that menu when I started using CM9 and when I failed to find it, I just assumed it hadn't been added yet, like so many other things that were listed as stubs. After seeing your comments I reflashed everything and poked around until I came across the menu in CM9 that I'd already been using in CM7. I'm still getting used to the way everything is menued differently in ICS. Sorry for wasting everyone's time here. :(

I definitely appreciate the help though!:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok after many hours tonight I have managed to put together a couple .zip files that will install a modified vold.fstab on your Nook Color. (I am a total n00b at this)

The EMMC of the Nook Color has a partition for the ROM and a 5 GB partition that's mostly if not completely unused. Presently, there aren't any 3rd-party managers to move apps to that unused partition, so I modified the vold.fstab and am now able to use that partition for apps, files, etc.

NC.SWAP.VOLD.ZIP swaps the way the SD and EMMC directories are mounted. By swapping the mount points, and renaming EMMC to SDCARD, your apps, etc., will install to the internal storage, vs. installing to your SDCARD. Your physical SDcard is automatically mounted as "EMMC."

This also means that the music player still finds files, you can move files to "EMMC," and you can still eject the SDcard ("EMMC"), put it back in and it still shows up automatically. Now your NC won't freak out if you pull the card out without unmounting it - all of the apps are on the actual EMMC. You'd just find the SDcard under /mnt/emmc instead of /mnt/sdcard.

Because this ZIP file maps the change at an OS level, when you boot to recovery, your NC sees SD as the SDcard, so no issues occur. When you boot into your ROM, the mount points are swapped and you'll have access to the renamed "SDCARD" (5 GB) on your NC.

Use CWR 3.0.1.0 to install the .zip and check out the results with File Manager.

Thanks go out to Clark008, luciferii and Cali^Gal from #nookcolor, Loonacy and Raymondull from #Cyanogenmod, and EpicFail1236 from XDA.

Sorry if this is a bit crude, it's my first script ever. I would be happy to get any advice on how to make this better!

EDIT: I have been looking into renaming the emmc mount to say SD-External or better yet making it mount as /mnt/sdcard/sd-ext. it might be possible, ill be looking into it as soon as I can got laid up for a bit.
    BRILLIANT. Will be definitely testing this later today. Can't wait to run SD Tools on this :)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12494666&postcount=2

ROMs that follow proper packaging - This emmc swap mod is one of them. So we're fine for those who are still hesitating.

--bornagainpenguin

Settings/storage/menu/storage configuration/use internal storage.

Lets you use emmc as sdcard.