[MOD][4.2.1/4.2][JOP40D/JOP40C] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

Search This thread

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
Tried installing this multiple times, always just got boot loops and had to use a backup... I'm using Sgt7 (4.2.1) with the 40D version. Why isn't it working?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

I can't help you
As you read i am not able to surf internet: i have hotspot settings, i have connection, but i am not able to surf internet
I have a N7 32G 3G rooted

Matteo 88

Oct 2, 2012
Linz
Works like a charm. Thx.

i think usb tether not available because u need more than just enabling menu in framework u would need somthing that tunnels the data in background over the usb.

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Can the icon be changed from black on white background to white? Looks weird on a black status bar of stock ROM

techobsessive

Jul 16, 2009
Is their anyway to get this to work on the wifi only version? I do not want to make a WIFI Hotspot, I want to share its Wifi Connection through USB! When I flashed this, I would just get continuous boot loops. Is it at all possible?? Remember, I do not want a wifi hotspot. I understand why that would not work. But, why not USB Tethering?

kwairon

Feb 2, 2013
oh, that's why I can't use through USB.

Is there any one can open it!?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

turbocomppro

Feb 4, 2013
Then to enable tethering and hotspot :D

1. Download the enabletether-JOP40D that stridger (The creator of the post(Thanks!!)) upload or the enabletether-JOP40C according to your nexus 7
2. And connect your nexus 7 to your computer and save the “enabletether-JOP40D.zip” on the root directory of sdcard
3. Then turn off your nexus 7 and turn it on in fastboot mode again pressing and holding volume down and power up.
4. Then navigate through menu with volume up and volume down, to “Recovery Mode” and press power button to choose, then wait a little, it should show you a menu.
5. Here choose “Install zip from sdcard” > Choose zip from sdcard > 0/ > enabletether-JOP40D.zip or wherever you save it and press power buttom to choose it, wait to the installation ends, and that’s all, reboot your nexus 7, and look for the option in Settings > More Settings > Tethering and portable hotspot
Hope this help people like me that have this problem.
Thanks everyone

Thank you for this. I had ran into a problem where when I went into the recovery menu (Step 4 above), it would show the Android with a red triangle with a "!" in it and "No Command" below it.

If anyone got this, you need to flash the recovery again and boot into it. I used the Nexus Root Toolkit to do this and it was a breeze (Open program, "Launch" under Advance Utilities, "Custom Recovery" under Boot Recovery, then "OK"). After that, continue to Step 5 above and in less then 2 minutes, I got tethering on my Nexus 7! Tested it out and works perfect! Thank you so much! One happy camper! :D

Reactions: zgebones and SikeMo

bombardy

Jan 18, 2010
Almost there, I think!

Thanks for all the guidance on this thread.

Have zipped the file and it said successful.
In my settings I have "tethering & portable hotspot" which I gather is a new addition to more settings after stridger's file is installed.

My phone is a WM6.5 based HTC. I run the program "Wifi Router" on my phone. I can see & connect to the phones hotspot from my laptop's available wifi connections.

What do I still have to do to get my Nexus to see my phone? Is an app required?

askd

Feb 19, 2012
hey bros,
here's the deal, it is possible to make this work on the regular nexus 7 wifi?
why i need tether on the regular nexus 7? cuz i want to be able to play games with my mates without the need of an external network.
thanks.
i was about to try the 3g framework on my regular, but i have alot to backup first. :x

swedkg

Jan 30, 2011
Check the very first post of this thread to see if you can flash this to a regular non 3G nexus7

pir

May 15, 2009
4.2.2/JDQ39

I can't post URLs, just put http in front of this:
android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_nakasig/357318e165a8.signed-nakasig-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.357318e1.zip

4.2.2/JDQ39 is out for the GSM Nexus 7, any chance of an update?

dannyyin

Feb 14, 2013
The tethering for 4.2.1 works. I used Nexus Root Toolkit from this post to complete the unlocking and rooting
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

Then I used the same tool to flash the zip.

The annoying step was how to install windows driver so your windows can recognize your N7. It took me 30 minutes to figure out then the rest was like breeze.

I am now on 4.2.1 with tethering enabled and I got an OTA update downloaded for 4.2.2. Will wait until 4.2.2 tethering is ready then I will upgrade.

Also in terms of upgrading to 4.2.2, someone else has an easy step
1. install Voodoo OTA RooterKeeper (I installed version 2.0.3)
2. create a su backup
3. click on Temp. un-root
4. install the OTA upgrade
5. once upgrade is done go back to Voodoo and restore root

Then your N7 will be rooted again (and then you'll just be like me to wait for 4.2.2 tethering zip)

hwa107

Feb 14, 2013
Hi Guys,

Can anyone here post the stock 4.2.1 framework-res.apk for those who want to upgrade to 4.2.2? For your information, the upgrade to 4.2.2 failed while verification for framework-res.apk. So I would like to revert the modified framework-res.apk and proceed with the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for providing the stock 4.2.1 framework-res.apk flashable zip.

sayantandas

Sep 17, 2010
London
Hi Guys,

Can anyone here post the stock 4.2.1 framework-res.apk for those who want to upgrade to 4.2.2? For your information, the upgrade to 4.2.2 failed while verification for framework-res.apk. So I would like to revert the modified framework-res.apk and proceed with the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for providing the stock 4.2.1 framework-res.apk flashable zip.

I want the same as well. Or please can anyone give a like to the 4.2.1 factory image file from where we can extract the framework-res.apk?
Edit: Found the factory image for 4.2.1 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998379

Last edited:

sayantandas

Sep 17, 2010
London
I want the same as well. Or please can anyone give a like to the 4.2.1 factory image file from where we can extract the framework-res.apk?
Edit: Found the factory image for 4.2.1 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998379

Extracted the framework-res.apk from an image file. I have been able to copy it to the /system folder, and restart the tablet. But I lost the saved accounts once I did that. So make sure you back up before you tinker.

Edit: Attached the apk file. Unzip it and replace the existing apk file with this one. Then restart.

Attachments

• framework-res.apk.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: hwa107

hwa107

Feb 14, 2013
Thanks sayantandas for the apk, I can confirm this is the right framework-res.apk for Nexus 7 JOP40D as I manage to upgrade to 4.2.2 after flashing this apk.

Here I pack the apk into flashable zip, now you can revert to original stock framework-res.apk by flashing this zip again. Hope this will be useful for the community here.

Attachments

• Nexus.7.framework-res.apk.Return.Stock.JOP40D.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 167

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES.

You may have noticed that the Nexus 7 3G does not have the tethering options enabled by default.

I couldn't live with that (that was partially the point why I got the 3G version), so have patched the framework to enable those options. Partial credits go to PaulOBrien@MoDaCo who has fixed the apktool for Android 4.2 .

To get it to work just flash the ZIP below. It will only work on the JOP40D and JOP40C releases, and obviously only if you have a 3G device. Please do not try it on the WiFi-only Nexus 7 :) .

Please note that it doesn't do a backup of the original framework-res.apk, so you can either make one yourself, or you can reflash the factory system image if you want to go back to stock later.

4.2.1 (JOP40D):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oti37qsc265me8t/enabletether-JOP40D.zip

4.2 (JOP40C):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tswcvz50op8rfu/enabletether-JOP40C.zip
    I really would appreciate flashable zip to enable tethering for 4.3.:sly:
    Thanks in advance !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Hi i just pulled the file decompressed it and it works for me i will aditionally put a small guide here:

after pulling framework-res.apk and decompiling modify the following lines in /res/values/arrays.xml

<array name="config_tether_usb_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <array name="config_tether_upstream_types" />

to

<string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
    <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
    <item>wlan\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
    <item>bnep\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
    <item>0</item>
    <item>1</item>
    <item>5</item>
    <item>7</item>
    </integer-array>

recompile the framework-res.apk sign it and u are ready to go.

Here are the links for the stock framework and the tether mod:

Stock Framework 4.3
    Tether enabled

U can flash them with sideload and i recommend a cache wipe after it.

HF
    Hi Folks,

as far i could tell there are no diferences in the stock framework-res.apk but i think i fixed the bootloop error on first install and i made a new enable tether file for jwr66y anyways hf flashing.

Enable Tether jwr66y
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B94bfpTec3GpdWpjclNteGhOQmM/edit
    Successfully flashed this over 4.2.2
    Worked on first boot without problems. Currently tethering over wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    bootloop even with 3rd try :(

Try this version. It's works for Me.

8953c95366caf1e9ab6a9f50f7337f1e thether-JDQ39.zip

Flashed via TWRP without any problems, bootloops.