[Guide] How to apply an update.zip to a stock Xoom (3G/WIFI) (with a USB-Host cable)

Search This thread

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
Hi everyone, I just managed to get my completely stock Xoom updated via USB host-cable... some instructions:

REQUIRED:
USB HOST CABLE
FAT32 USB THUMB DRIVE

3G Instructions:

1) Place the update.zip (can have any filename you like) on the usb stick.

2) Connect the USB stick to the host cable and connect the host cable to the Xoom.

3) Power off

4) Power on, tap (ONLY TAP) volume down a few times until you get a list of options you can cycle through.

5) Select Android Recovery

6) Tap Volume up to boot into recovery

7) Hold power and tap volume up at the green android screen to get the BLUE recovery menu

8) Select apply update from USB drive

9) Select your update.zip from the menu... enjoy!

As for the 3.1 Update, if you get into a boot loop, just hold power and volume up to get out of it.

WIFI ONLY USERS:

There is no menu option for android recovery, you'll need to use:

adb reboot recovery

you can plug in the usb stick at the green android guy screen

Attachments

• 2011-05-10_20-17-47_3.jpg
    2011-05-10_20-17-47_3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 11,788
Last edited:

slack04

May 4, 2010
Can anyone suggest a USB host cable? There's plenty of USB micro to USB female cables on Amazon, and I really can't tell them apart. I'd prefer something with Amazon Prime, but the smaller the converter the better...

Thanks!

Reactions: diehardbattery

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
Can anyone suggest a USB host cable? There's plenty of USB micro to USB female cables on Amazon, and I really can't tell them apart. I'd prefer something with Amazon Prime, but the smaller the converter the better...

Thanks!

I got a random $2 one from ebay, I think it shipped from china. It MUST be a HOST cable, not a converter.

slack04

May 4, 2010
I got a random $2 one from ebay, I think it shipped from china. It MUST be a HOST cable, not a converter.

Thanks, I realize that some of them work, I just can't figure out which is which. Can you provide a link or did you just get lucky with the one you got? Nothing on amazon makes it clear which is which...

ruvort

Aug 4, 2010
Thanks, I realize that some of them work, I just can't figure out which is which. Can you provide a link or did you just get lucky with the one you got? Nothing on amazon makes it clear which is which...

I linked one a few posts back

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jasonsplace

Feb 23, 2009
Provo, Utah
www.jasonlwright.com
I'm trying this out right now but I'm not getting Android Recovery as an option. I plugged the stick in, powered it on, tapped the down rocker and I get 3 options: NvFlash, RSD, Fastboot. What could be wrong here. I'm on a stock WiFi Xoom.

bwcorvus

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 15, 2010
This would only work on 3g, as wifi only doesn't have a boot to recovery option in the choices.

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
I'm trying this out right now but I'm not getting Android Recovery as an option. I plugged the stick in, powered it on, tapped the down rocker and I get 3 options: NvFlash, RSD, Fastboot. What could be wrong here. I'm on a stock WiFi Xoom.

You can try

adb reboot recovery

But you need to plug in the usb stick right away or it won't recognize it.

The very first option when tapping volume down should be recovery

bwcorvus

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 15, 2010

Thats because wifi doesn't have this option, only 3g.

SS2006

Aug 23, 2008
London, Ontario
actually on my wifi xoom i see the 'update via USB'
but i dont have a host cable, perhaps when its plugged in that option is gone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone, I just managed to get my completely stock Xoom updated via USB host-cable... some instructions:

REQUIRED:
    USB HOST CABLE
    FAT32 USB THUMB DRIVE

3G Instructions:

1) Place the update.zip (can have any filename you like) on the usb stick.

2) Connect the USB stick to the host cable and connect the host cable to the Xoom.

3) Power off

4) Power on, tap (ONLY TAP) volume down a few times until you get a list of options you can cycle through.

5) Select Android Recovery

6) Tap Volume up to boot into recovery

7) Hold power and tap volume up at the green android screen to get the BLUE recovery menu

8) Select apply update from USB drive

9) Select your update.zip from the menu... enjoy!

As for the 3.1 Update, if you get into a boot loop, just hold power and volume up to get out of it.

WIFI ONLY USERS:

There is no menu option for android recovery, you'll need to use:

adb reboot recovery

you can plug in the usb stick at the green android guy screen
    Wifi version? Or only 3g?
    Anyone searching for a cheap host cable can find one here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00474OYLG . It also ships pretty fast.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks!
    actually on my wifi xoom i see the 'update via USB'
    but i dont have a host cable, perhaps when its plugged in that option is gone?
    I just tried adb reboot recovery as suggested above and then swapped the cable for the flash drive as someone suggested above. I got into recovery and had the option to Update Via USB but it failed each time saying that it couldn't be mounted. I've tried 2 drives. I don't know if I'm not switching over fast enough or maybe I have a bad host cable.