[NIGHTLY/KERNEL][USER] UNOFFICIAL CM9 + 3.0.x Kernel for K-Fire [3.0.31+ 06-28]

Search This thread

loki154

Jun 19, 2010
After flashing the #6 kernel, my kindle won't charge at all on usb or the ac charger :/ its completely dead with no charging light.

bi2o

Feb 5, 2012
Hey Loki,

USB does charge but it's very slow. AC should work though.
Plug it with the AC adapter for a few minutes and it should be fine.

nekonosuna

Apr 21, 2012
First of all, great work. The #3 ROM with #6 kernel is already the smoothest experience I've had with the Fire.

For reference, my observations so far:

HWA mostly works in browser flash, twitchtv app, YouTube app, MX video player. Sometimes videos in YouTube or MX will not start and cause FC.
Charging using wall charger works fine, but the LED indicator will only show that its charging while its not sleeping. While sleeping, the charging LED will come on for a second or two at somewhat regular intervals. This might be related to what's been observed, namely
High battery drawn during sleep. It's nearly as high as during use.
I have no screen striping/flickering/banding issues whatsoever
Google Earth doesn't work

Installed by:
Boot to TWRP 2.1, wipe cache/dalvik/system/factory reset, install #3 ROM and #6 kernel immediately after. Boot to system, then back to recovery, flash gapps, boot to system. All lovely

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Idk, its been plugged into both and the charging light never comes on.

Maybe it's not really powered down. Try unplugging from charger, then press the power button for 20 seconds, then let go of the power button and plug in the charger. It should come on immediately.

Last edited:

Wojei

Dec 13, 2010
Anyone wishing to restore there MAC Address back to factory.
I had documented my original MAC addresses.

In terminal emulator/or adb shell (wifi turned off)

su
mount -o remount rw /system
calibrator set nvs_mac /system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

You should backup original wl1271-nvs.bin before using this method.
if you have problem can restore file and reboot.

If someone could verify this for me I will edit/delete post if neccessary.

Thanks

I tried doing the steps you've described and now my mac address is no longer 00:d2:8b:43:9f:fd. It works!

jmcoffey

Dec 6, 2011
Peachtree City
How exactly does one use USB OTG? I would like to use my kindle to take notes in class but would rather use an actual keyboard than the touch one. Anyone?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA

KaLiBLeeK

With my fire powered all the way down (power button 20 sec press) the charging light was not on while plugged into AC power but it fully charged.

Ditto (kinda?); Left my KF plugged into a wall charger overnight, but left it on. Woke up in the morning and it was fully charged. The charging light was behaving weirdly, so I just checked in the battery section of the setting to make sure it was charging, and indeed it was.

And I'm going to assume if people are having "banding" issues with their KF is not the same as what I've seen the entire time I've owned my KF; if I leave a page/app open for a bit that has a white background and dark text, images, once I leave that page/app, the image hangs around for a bit (ghosts? whatever), but then goes around after a bit of use. This has happened on every ROM/kernel I've owned, regardless of display brightness.

TBH, for what I use my KF for, the kernel as it stands right now is pretty much perfect. Really amazed by all the progress that's been made over the past week or so. Kudos to Hash/Intersect/etc etc.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
The MAC address issue is because of the nvs.bin that was included in the #3 rom (it has a preset MAC in it). Looks like the other CM7 rom fixed this by NOT including the nvs.bin file and wrapping the module loader binary with a script that builds a new file if it doesn't exist and then runs the module loader.

I'll try and get this into the next full ROM update.

Sent from my XT894 using XDA

pbailey212

Apr 12, 2011
There seems to be some success with this, so if you are having battery drain issues turn off your touch sounds and unlock sounds. Audiodriver_1 seems to be constantly starting while the phone is sleeping which is consuming power. Turning these sounds off seems to fix the problem for now

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: nekonosuna

bi2o

Feb 5, 2012
There seems to be some success with this, so if you are having battery drain issues turn off your touch sounds and unlock sounds. Audiodriver_1 seems to be constantly starting while the phone is sleeping which is consuming power. Turning these sounds off seems to fix the problem for now

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I'll give it a try and report.

Shahpur.Azizpour

Mar 13, 2008
I noticed that the wall charger will not work unless you plug it in while the screen is on. So keeping the screen on initially I was able to charge without problems.

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
sorry you miss understood, I'm unsure how to find my original mac address, do I have to flash a stock rom to be able to see it?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

gadgetman13

Feb 6, 2012
You can change it as long as you know your original MAC Address.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25130845&postcount=458

I'm not sure that's necessarily completely true. I don't think you need to know the original MAC address.

I blindly issued the command in the above post WITH THE XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX left as 'X's. Obviously erroneous input to the set command, but what the heck, it was worth a shot since I didn't know my original MAC address. What did I have to lose by trying, I already had the .bk file.

If I now do a
Code:
calibrator get nvs_mac /system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin
(note, that's a get not a set) I get a different MAC address than if I do a
Code:
calibrator get nvs_mac /system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin.bk
(the backup file I made.)

It would appear to me, that if you don't assign a proper address (or per the help even leave out the MAC address completely), it might read the original MAC address from the network card. Or maybe it's just making one up - though I hope not. The help for the calibrator command indicates that the MAC address is an optional argument if I'm reading it correctly:

Code:
Usage:	calibrator [options] command
Options:
	--debug		enable netlink debugging
	--version	show version (0.71)
Commands:
	set nvs_mac <nvs file> [<mac addr>]

TheKid2

Dec 23, 2011
Shepherdsville
I'm not sure that's necessarily completely true. I don't think you need to know the original MAC address.

I blindly issued the command in the above post WITH THE XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX left as 'X's. Obviously erroneous input to the set command, but what the heck, it was worth a shot since I didn't know my original MAC address. What did I have to lose by trying, I already had the .bk file.

If I now do a
Code:
calibrator get nvs_mac /system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin
(note, that's a get not a set) I get a different MAC address than if I do a
Code:
calibrator get nvs_mac /system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin.bk
(the backup file I made.)

It would appear to me, that if you don't assign a proper address (or per the help even leave out the MAC address completely), it might read the original MAC address from the network card. Or maybe it's just making one up - though I hope not. The help for the calibrator command indicates that the MAC address is an optional argument if I'm reading it correctly:

Code:
Usage:	calibrator [options] command
Options:
	--debug		enable netlink debugging
	--version	show version (0.71)
Commands:
	set nvs_mac <nvs file> [<mac addr>]

It will randomly generate a new MAC if one is not set. Here is the original link where I found the info. It appears the hardware does not actually have a burned in address, but is set using calibration utility and stored in nvs file.

http://omappedia.org/wiki/WLAN_Calibration

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEW KERNEL IS CHARGING. OS DOESN'T SHOW THE CHARGING ICON.
    Make sure when you plug in to check the Settings -> Battery screen and see "Charging"

06-28: KERNEL.ZIP #13 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): REMOVED TEMP
    (Recompiling w/o Linaro for compatibility)
    md5sum: a16c281fa3dbe0962c6dc2c03e6df5bc
    Full ROM: http://bit.ly/NaD2vW
    md5sum: d9dfe6f5f97eadbeaecc86d0314cb80e
    - Mainline Linux 3.0.31 updates
    - TI kernel 3.0.21 branch updates
    - [ROM-Only] Now w/ "OtterParts where the touchscreen filter setting can be set (0 as default, but 30 is very usable) -- (Scott Brady)
    - Built using Linaro toolchain
    - Added KRAIT optimizations (not sure how effective yet) (twa_priv)

NOTE: I haven't adjusted the nightly server to use the 3.0.31 kernel OR Linaro yet. This is the only ROM link I've built with it in it.

[06-27-2012] UNOFFICIAL NIGHTLY SERVER IS RUNNING:
    DOWNLOAD HERE
    GApps: http://goo.im/gapps (4/29 is the latest in the CM9 row)
    These builds are using a stock framework which includes the volume slider mod. It's kept up-to-date by twa_priv.

STEPS FOR UPDATING:
    1. Download .zip file from the nightly server and place on your device
    2. Reboot into recovery and apply .zip
    3. If coming from any ROM which is not CM9 please wipe data/cache/Dalvik Cache
    4. Reboot and enjoy

LATEST CHANGES:
    [06-26-2012] Added sbradymobile's touch filter patch + OtterParts for controlling the filter level (30 recommended, default as 0 for now) (under Settings -> Advanced) [THANKS!]

SOLO KERNEL NOTES:

06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)

TROUBLESHOOTING FOR USB not being recognized in Windows 7 (while the Kindle is *NOT* plugged into computer):
    - Open Device Manager
    - Right-click your computer name and select "Show Hidden Devices"
    - The top device group should be: Android device(or phone): under it "Android ADB Composite device"
    - Right-click on that and select uninstall
    - Now plug the Kindle back into the computer and let driver re-install

IF FOR SOME REASON WIFI DOESN'T WORK ON THE FIRST BOOTUP DO THE FOLLOWING:
    Enter Terminal Emulator
    Type: su
    Type: fix-mac.sh
    Exit Terminal Emulator
    Reboot

THIS ROM SHOWS OFF HOW WELL ICS CAN RUN ON THE KINDLE FIRE.
    ** READY FOR DAILY USE **

If I had just installed this ROM and I wanted to see something that might not work in the stock-kernel based ICS ROM, then I'd try the following:
    - Install "Chrome Beta" from the market and test it out.
    - Audio is more stable.
    - Launcher is smoother due to full PVR graphic support
    - Try YouTube!

For user support, look to this thread! Please keep discussion here as to what works and what doesn't, etc.
    06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)
    I think we can safely agree that the charger driver has issues and it's being worked on. And that each user should ensure that their device charges correctly without the aid of seeing the charging icon in the status bar.

The details are really irrelevant.

ONCE AGAIN KEEP IT CIVIL. WHICH MEANS: don't accuse each other of lying, call each other names, or use otherwise inflammatory remarks.

While rude and insensitive, its also mucking up my thread which is supposed to be a useful resource.

I say this as someone who religiously pages through almost every thread in this area and often could respond badly to poorly worded kernel demands, etc. It doesn't take much to turn a well intentioned post into something worse. And sometimes its due to language barriers or other issues which are beyond control.

A thick skin is almost a requirement in any public forum setting.

/rant

On a side note the new driver is working with the OS: I get a charging icon when plugging in. Now on to removing the extra battery device, fixing suspend and a pleathora of mode switch issues.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    TEST BUILD #3 IS READY HERE: http://bit.ly/IShcSq

There are 2 changes for this build:
    - HW Codecs are now working.
    - Kernel included in this build is running "silicon type performance" mode. Meaning it's a stock overclock to 1.2 Ghz. Please test this as well.

If you have ANY issues with the 1.2 Ghz speed and want to step back down to 1.0 Ghz do the following:
    - Enter "Settings"
    - Choose "Performance" (at the bottom)
    - Click "Ok"
    - Select "Processor" (the first item on the right)
    - Choose "Maximum CPU frequency"
    - Set this to 1008
    - Then check the "Set on boot" option
    05-10: KERNEL.ZIP #9 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/Iz9J4s
    md5sum bb453c85f7155cea3fab1c83cae65c73
    [ FULL STOCK CM9 ROM AVAILABLE HERE: http://bit.ly/JC6UBT ]
    md5sum 0d7677af67501b0f467130016fb1f928
    - updated PVR/graphics drivers for bugfix (same version 1.8@869593): fixes slight text corruption in at 270 degree rotation and memory leak
    - cleanup work on backlight driver, still flashes on resume slightly (Icemank121)
    - cpu governor: conservative cherry-pick improvment patches (Entropy512)
    - [ROM ONLY] Wifi netloc (GPS) working! (Entrophy512)
    - wifi .ini file change to TQS_S_2.6.ini (doesn't have 5ghz settings like the other)
    - [ROM ONLY] Volume increase (Kuzma30), updated CM9 build, reboot recovery fix, included volume slider, and commented out "survey data missing!" in wpa_supplicant_8, higher quality bootanimation

DEV NOTES: ROM Build is now fixed so that PVR modules are built with the kernel.