[Q] SM-G900V - Enable wider LTE bandwidth

Search This thread

turz13

May 27, 2014
Hello,

I am very proud to be a part of the community now.

I bought few days ago an unblocked Samsung galaxy S5 SM-G900V in Best Buy Store.

Today and for some times I will be in France, using my phone with local service proivder. Unfortunately, this model cannot connect to the 4G / LTE network in France.

Local bandwith :
- 1600 mHz
- 2600 mHz

Samsung told me that the device can only connect to the following networks :
- 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 mHz

Indeed I would like to know if it is the components posing problems or just the configuration made by Samsung / Verizon to block the connection in foreign countries like France. If it is the case I can flash my device and modify the bandwith accordingly to French one ?

Also I understood that Verizon device is not allowing root modification, is still the case ?

The seller from best buy ensured me that the phone was going to work in France but this is not true...

Many thanks for your help and support...

Last edited:

jcollier

Jan 11, 2008
Houston, TX
1. Indeed I would like to know if it is the components posing problems or just the configuration made by Samsung / Verizon to block the connection in foreign countries like France. If it is the case I can flash my device and modify the bandwith accordingly to French one ?

2. Also I understood that Verizon device is not allowing root modification, is still the case ?

3. The seller from best buy ensured me that the phone was going to work in France but this is not true...

1. It is a hardware issue, not software, so you will not be able to change it.

2. Correct, the Verizon model(and AT&T) is still not able to be rooted.

3. It will work in France, it just won't connect at the fastest speed. Myself and others have used the phone in foreign countries with success, so it is definitely doable.

Versatile1

Aug 29, 2011
Texoma
(If) the SM-G900V is the dev edition. Yes you can root it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
The SM-G900V is the dev edition. Yes you can root it.

you sure about that? I have a SM-G900V and its not a dev edition phone..... and if for some reason it is i purchqsed as a regular device lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app

fffft

Jul 16, 2013

If you can quote a source for that, please do so so that we can elucidate more details. Personally, I doubt that it is a hardware limitation. In the past there were hardware differences with different chips needed to support various transceiver bands. But semiconductor manufacturers have been leveraging advances in lithography and economies of scale for some time to move toward single chip solutions.

When XDA members asked these same questions about the S3, lots of people proffered the standard answer saying that it was a hardware issue. And that it would be impossible to modify the firmware to use a Bell or ATT phone on TMobile's AWS band. This was proven to be wrong (1, 2), the limitation was only in the firmware. The S3, S4 and N3 firmware have since been successfully modified to operate variant handsets on the TMobile and Wind bands.

The S5 has been reported to use the Qualcomm WTR1625L RF transceiver. This is said to be the first IC that can operate on all LTE bands and looking at the datasheet for the chipset suggests that this is true. In fact Qualcomm promotes the transceiver this way -

Qualcomm said:
the WTR1625L performs carrier aggregation by "accommodat[ing] all cellular modes and 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE frequency bands and band combinations that are either deployed or in commercial planning globally."

There may still be cost saving or protectionist measures in supporting hardware choices that limit us but given the available evidence and in particular the specific RF chip being used in the S5.. it would be fair to say that regional LTE limitations are much more likely to be firmware than hardware issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: vacaloca

terry3610

Jul 16, 2014
If you can quote a source for that, please do so so that we can elucidate more details. Personally, I doubt that it is a hardware limitation. In the past there were hardware differences with different chips needed to support various transceiver bands. But semiconductor manufacturers have been leveraging advances in lithography and economies of scale for some time to move toward single chip solutions.

When XDA members asked these same questions about the S3, lots of people proffered the standard answer saying that it was a hardware issue. And that it would be impossible to modify the firmware to use a Bell or ATT phone on TMobile's AWS band. This was proven to be wrong (1, 2), the limitation was only in the firmware. The S3, S4 and N3 firmware have since been successfully modified to operate variant handsets on the TMobile and Wind bands.

The S5 has been reported to use the Qualcomm WTR1625L RF transceiver. This is said to be the first IC that can operate on all LTE bands and looking at the datasheet for the chipset suggests that this is true. In fact Qualcomm promotes the transceiver this way -

There may still be cost saving or protectionist measures in supporting hardware choices that limit us but given the available evidence and in particular the specific RF chip being used in the S5.. it would be fair to say that regional LTE limitations are much more likely to be firmware than hardware issues.

Hi,
I have Samsung galaxy S5 SM-G900V for vreizon ,

Today and for some times I will be in ASIA,

Local bandwith : 2100 mHz

this model cannot connect to the 4G / LTE network in Asia.

But i have iphone 5s Verizon , at Asia local can connect 4G / LTE

I don't know , why galaxy S5 SM-G900V Can't connect 4G / LTE for Asia

I have root my galaxy S5 SM-G900V,

But i don't know how can do it ....

Many thanks for your help and support...

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
I don't know , why galaxy S5 SM-G900V Can't connect 4G / LTE for Asia

That seems off topic to this thread, so you should start a new one if you have remaining questions.

You didn't give full details or even name the Asian carrier.. but this is probably the case -

Some iPhone 5s variants support both HSPA+ 2100 and FDD-LTE 2100. The TMobile S5 does as well. But the Verizon S5 only supports HSPA+ 2100, not FDD-LTE 2100. The hardware is almost certainly capable of doing so, but Verizon decided to restrict that band on their S5. Presumably to deter carrier churn. It looks like Verizon only enabled LTE on 700 /1700 for the 900V.

Blame Verizon. AFAIK you won't be able to use the Verizon S5 on that band unless someone modifies the firmware.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks, I can be stupid sometimes. ... edited lol

Qualcomm said:
    the WTR1625L performs carrier aggregation by "accommodat[ing] all cellular modes and 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE frequency bands and band combinations that are either deployed or in commercial planning globally."