[Q] No "only 3G" option in ics roms

Search This thread

trumpetmichel

Mar 12, 2012
I tried several ics -roms in my desire s (icecoldsandwich, cm9, miui) and I liked them very much. But in all of these roms it is similar, that there isn´t the "only 3g" option in the network mode menu. There are only "automatic" and "only 2g"
All the gingerbread roms contains the "only 3g" feature.

It is very important for me, because I live in an area where I can get the 3g signal, but the edge signal is often stronger (I think it depends on the weather and the clouds). When I use my phone for tethering I have to switch it in the "only 3g" mode to get a stable and fast internet connection.

Is it possible to get this option (only 3g) in the ics roms as a 3rd option back???
I like the ics roms very much but because of this missing option I can´t take them for daily use.

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
In the dialler type *#*#4636#*#* then go into Phone information, scroll down and from the dropdown list choose "WCDMA only".

You will probably have to redo this after each reboot though.

Steinhund

Nov 13, 2010
Leipzig
As far as I remember this the way it is in CM Roms (and stock). Had this behaviour in all Roms since CM6.

The function you need is installed in CM9 Roms via the Notification power widget.

Go to

Settings /
System /
Notification drawer (acrivate "Show power widget") /
Widget buttons /
activate Toggle 2G/3G /
scroll down to "Network modes" /
select the preferred option.

Sadly its not easy to see which it currently activated in the widget, but you can try it on your own. Maybe it helps.

Reactions: trumpetmichel

trumpetmichel

Mar 12, 2012
Thank you for the tip.
In fact you can´t see a change in the status bar and I think it doesn´t really work on my phone.
;)

trumpetmichel

Mar 12, 2012
The tip with the dialler type *#*#4636#*#* works very good. But you have to type it in the dialler for each switch between the network modi.

Is it possible to write or create a widget that opens the same menue with one click?

That would make it much easier to swich to the prefered network mode.

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
The tip with the dialler type *#*#4636#*#* works very good. But you have to type it in the dialler for each switch between the network modi.

Is it possible to write or create a widget that opens the same menue with one click?

Until someone implements this into a custom ROM, there is no way. However you don't necessarily have to type that into the dialler every time, as after the first time you use it you should see the "phone info" app in the recently used list by holding down the home key. So you can get there quicker.

Reactions: trumpetmichel

trumpetmichel

Mar 12, 2012
Thank you both for the latest posts.

The tip with the resent app list works very well and is absolute usefull.

The BlindIce v3 rom looks also very good. I will give it a try on next weekend.
Are there any known bugs with this rom?? There isn't a bug list in the thread.

miz_pimp

Mar 23, 2012
LG V40
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Thank you both for the latest posts.

The tip with the resent app list works very well and is absolute usefull.

The BlindIce v3 rom looks also very good. I will give it a try on next weekend.
Are there any known bugs with this rom?? There isn't a bug list in the thread.

I'm not sure BlindIce v3 has that option; I never used it. I went from v2 to v4.1, but v4.1 doesn't have the network option.

Sent from my Desire S

trumpetmichel

Mar 12, 2012
I used the dialler method for some days now and it is a very good alternative.
In the appearing menue you can also get some more information about your phone (your usage, battery etc.). But be careful if you decide to do some changes in the alignments.

trumpetmichel

Mar 12, 2012
I use the BlindIce v5 now since last Saturday. It is a very nice rom with two launchers and lots of possibilities to design your phone.
But like all the others ics roms it has only the option "only 2g" in the network menu.
So I have to do the dialler method furthermore.

tieff

Jan 9, 2012
Galati
you can try blindICE v5.5... it has continuous improvements and it works good, I recomande it:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the dialler type *#*#4636#*#* then go into Phone information, scroll down and from the dropdown list choose "WCDMA only".

You will probably have to redo this after each reboot though.
    As far as I remember this the way it is in CM Roms (and stock). Had this behaviour in all Roms since CM6.

The function you need is installed in CM9 Roms via the Notification power widget.

Go to

Settings /
    System /
    Notification drawer (acrivate "Show power widget") /
    Widget buttons /
    activate Toggle 2G/3G /
    scroll down to "Network modes" /
    select the preferred option.

Sadly its not easy to see which it currently activated in the widget, but you can try it on your own. Maybe it helps.

Until someone implements this into a custom ROM, there is no way. However you don't necessarily have to type that into the dialler every time, as after the first time you use it you should see the "phone info" app in the recently used list by holding down the home key. So you can get there quicker.
    BlindIce v2 has this option in it. It just doesn't have the notification bar toggle, but that isn't really a big deal, as long as you have the main option in Settings. :)