[Q] Side power button not as responsive.

Search This thread

Snowdogg

Feb 5, 2011
Anyone had similar issues? :confused:

Over three weeks in, I am still blown away by this phone as I am finding new features everyday BUT I am also having difficulties with my power button. As I read in the Sprint forum, some time ago, it was noticed that the power button seemed loose, 'rocky' on a pivot. Other Note II demo phones had some flexibility with the power button as well. I haven't read about any problems with a lagging or unresponsive power (not home) button due to this but NOW it seems I have to press moderately-centered on the button to either wake or ZZZ the phone. Before it seemed I can press this button with as much force as the home button, even at an angle (Note II is wider after all). So my BIG question :eek: Have you ever pressed on the power button more than once to just wake up your phone? Or, put it to sleep? Do you have the press the button dead centered for it to work? And, does your power button seemed rocky, even slightly?

I am not rooted...running on good ole factory specs! My phone has never been dropped or damaged either. I would hate to send the phone to Samsung and be without one for 2 weeks, so I figured to troubleshoot with you guys first :cool:

Much thanks!

quinto0827

Jan 25, 2011

Over three weeks in, I am still blown away by this phone as I am finding new features everyday BUT I am also having difficulties with my power button. As I read in the Sprint forum, some time ago, it was noticed that the power button seemed loose, 'rocky' on a pivot. Other Note II demo phones had some flexibility with the power button as well. I haven't read about any problems with a lagging or unresponsive power (not home) button due to this but NOW it seems I have to press moderately-centered on the button to either wake or ZZZ the phone. Before it seemed I can press this button with as much force as the home button, even at an angle (Note II is wider after all). So my BIG question :eek: Have you ever pressed on the power button more than once to just wake up your phone? Or, put it to sleep? Do you have the press the button dead centered for it to work? And, does your power button seemed rocky, even slightly?

I am not rooted...running on good ole factory specs! My phone has never been dropped or damaged either. I would hate to send the phone to Samsung and be without one for 2 weeks, so I figured to troubleshoot with you guys first :cool:

Much thanks!

my phone did the samething within 3 days of when i got it. i just took mines back to at&t since it was so quick and the manager gave me a new one. hopefully someone does come up with a way to fix it without you having to send it yo samsung.

Reactions: Snowdogg

UCLAKoolman

Dec 6, 2011
Haven't noticed any issues with mine, but I suppose these kinds of issues are why I bought insurance.

ingrown

Jun 19, 2010
Lafayette, LA
My power button is 'rocky'; it seems to pivot from the center. However, I can press it anywhere to wake the phone or turn the screen off. There's a satisfying click when I do press it, so I'm not worried.

Snowdogg

Feb 5, 2011
I would definitely take it back and try to get it repaired or exchanged. Mine doesnt have that issue at all and Im always turn it on and off.

Gathering the input so far, I think I might have to send this to Samsung to get it repaired since I passed my return/exchange period :( I have insurance but I am also under warranty with Sammy, so that route would be cheapest. Good thing I still have my old flip phone from 2005 that still works but going to dread going back 7 years though!

Lets hope that this doesn't become an eventual problem for most. Thanks for the comments so far.

tizzy

Apr 14, 2008
Definitely take it back to repair it. My power button started off rocky and eventually became worse with use. I had to replace it. Get it fixed ASAP

StarLog

Apr 29, 2008
Orlando, FLA.
Mine works fine to turn off.
Turn on is a bit more picky.

Does not rock or is not loose.

I use home button to wake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

kamikaji

Feb 1, 2012
Does anyone know what at&t's return period is offhand? I've got the exact same issue with my handset :/

Also, if I'm past that point, does Sammy charge for fixing the button?

Snowdogg

Feb 5, 2011
Does anyone know what at&t's return period is offhand? I've got the exact same issue with my handset :/

Also, if I'm past that point, does Sammy charge for fixing the button?

I believe it used to be 30 days for personal accounts, now those terms only apply to corporate accounts. For personal accounts, its now 14 days. From what I understand, this policy covers items bought from a corporate AT&T store, or ordered direct from AT&T. You are allowed to exchange or return at a corporate store, with a possibility of a $35 restocking fee depending on the scenario. Also, you can also send it back to AT&T but you will have to cover shipping. I only suspect if you buy from a re-seller (aka a non-corporate AT&T store but clearly marked 'AT&T') you can exchange or return at a corporate store.

From what I was told by AT&T and a brief conversation with Samsung, the Note II carries a 1 year manufacture's warranty. I don't know the specifics, but assuming there is no abuse or damage of the phone caused by the user, and if the phone does not perform as it should (like mentioned in this thread), Samsung's warranty will cover it with no charge. But realize, unless you have a backup phone, you won't have a phone for 2 weeks! Also, there is a possibility that Samsung may use reconditioned parts, and if they can't fix your phone, you will get a reconditioned model :eek: But what if you have insurance? Then there is a deductible. A possibility of a reconditioned phone too?

Oh, what to do? :confused:

willzilla

Nov 27, 2012
Atoka
What is return period for premier accounts? Is it also 14 days?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

CraigP17

Mar 8, 2006
PA
my power button just went wonky last night. it used to be somewhat rocky, but it was responsive. now it barely moves. i cant tell if im pressing it or not. it still powers on the phone. but there is no click or comfirming feeling at all. it might as well be capacitive now. about 40 days old.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Much thanks!

my phone did the samething within 3 days of when i got it. i just took mines back to at&t since it was so quick and the manager gave me a new one. hopefully someone does come up with a way to fix it without you having to send it yo samsung.