GPS Sports Computer - navmi

Search This thread

hollywoof

Nov 25, 2009
Hello

Following discussion and development on AndyZap's GPS Cycle Computer thread, I'm starting this new thread.

It's all about navmi...

withspeedo-180x300.jpg
activitymap-180x300.jpg
diary-180x300.jpg

navmi is a GPS sports application, currently available for Windows Mobile touch screen (professional). It contains lots of DNA from AndyZap's GPS Cycle Computer - and it's now been tested on a few devices including:
- Omnia II
- Diamond
- HTC HD (and HD2 Leo)
- Axim x51v
- Omnia

Current download is shown on navmi.com.

There is currently a 1 dot 1 dot 1 release in Beta testing

Among navmi's features are:
  • Time and distance tracking
  • Autopause
  • Auto lap (auto waypoint) recording
  • Manual lap recording
  • Integrated sports photography
  • Map display – including offline caching of maps
  • Chart display – speed and elevation
  • Multiple settings for multiple sports
  • Training Diary – including lap, map, photo and chart review
  • Integration with runsaturday online training log and analysis tools
  • KML and GPX track export

navmi proudly contains:
  • DNA from the GPS Cycle Computer – by AndyZap – with design by expo7 and special thanks to AngelGR – used under new bsd license
  • integration with runsaturday.com
  • mapping by OpenStreetMap served by Cloudmade – used under creative commons license
  • voice from acclivity on freesound.org – used under creative commons license
  • sound effects from sowatt and milton on freesound.org – used under creative commons license
  • extra graphics input from clker.com – used under creative commons license

I hope this is the right place to start this thread!

Last edited:

marasp

Apr 17, 2006
London
hi...im a big fan of AndyZap GPS Cycle Computer...and use it on every occasion, while on the go. unfortunately development seems to be abandoned :(. so hope you will get best of it and follow his high standards... will watch that development closely.

rhtizzy

Apr 25, 2008
the touchHD is wvga and navmi does almost perfect on it.

Switching between apps does bring the winMo taskbar back into the picture tho and consequently that covers part of the function buttons.
Not a major problem.

Tho I did click the winMo 'Ok' button (top right taskbar corner) once and navmi asked whether I wanted to proceed, as logging would be canceled. After clicking 'No' it canceled anyway, toughy...

hollywoof

Nov 25, 2009
the touchHD is wvga and navmi does almost perfect on it.

Switching between apps does bring the winMo taskbar back into the picture tho and consequently that covers part of the function buttons.
Not a major problem.

Tho I did click the winMo 'Ok' button (top right taskbar corner) once and navmi asked whether I wanted to proceed, as logging would be canceled. After clicking 'No' it canceled anyway, toughy...

I'll take a look at the switching thing - that doesn't happen on my Omnia when I use Samsung's cube button task switcher thing. What are you using to switch on the HD?

As for the "No" problem... I've just checked the code and it definitely should work OK...

rhtizzy

Apr 25, 2008
I use Quickmenu to replace the regular startmenu and following your comment I switched back to regular and indeed, no more winMo taskbar pop-over... :D good stuff!

Jan 8, 2007
Wow, been after something like this for ages but havent got round to looking! Will try to get to grips with it before my next snow boarding trip so i can see how far i rode!! Good work!!

HollyWolf, are you the coder of this?

Also, add Samsung Omnia to the list of working phones. Works fine on mine.

hollywoof

Nov 25, 2009
Wow, been after something like this for ages but havent got round to looking! Will try to get to grips with it before my next snow boarding trip so i can see how far i rode!! Good work!!

HollyWolf, are you the coder of this?

Also, add Samsung Omnia to the list of working phones. Works fine on mine.

Excellent - thanks for letting me know :)

Yes, I am the coder - I've taken AndyZ's GPS Cycle Computer as a start, merged in lots of code from Runsat and am loving writing code :)

hollywoof

Nov 25, 2009
Almost all written in C# compact framework - 2.0.

There's no manual yet - so best to write here or on navmi.com if you have a question.

roma

Oct 24, 2005
Groningen
hollywoof, will there be an option to import kml or gpx files in the future? Would be nice if I could add the runs from RunSaturday to navmi. This way I have totals on my Omnia.

Installed it, looks very nice. Will test it soon while running.

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
I'll have a play in a bit on the HD2, pity it's snowing so much, I've not got a chance to get out in the velomobile to see how accurate it is.

One thing that is missing from gpscyclecomputer is a seperate EXIT function..

Using winmo 6.5.x versions (with the bottom buttons) you cant close the app, short of using a secondary taskmanager, so if you can include something along those lines (not tried it yet) then that would be great (and future proof it a bit).

I'm intrigued by the lapfunction, how is it going to work? I've tried a couple of other ones in the past, that haven't been quite as obvious as could be.

Especially when racing, I tend to find that pressing something is a no-no (especially cycling at 35mph and above on a 440m velodrome yo can lap quite quickly) and some of the others don't seem to realise that when you go past the place you started logging then that's the end of the first lap.

anyway, glad to see someone has taken on the basics of andyzaps app looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

hollywoof

Nov 25, 2009
hollywoof, will there be an option to import kml or gpx files in the future? Would be nice if I could add the runs from RunSaturday to navmi. This way I have totals on my Omnia..

Thanks

I've written the GPX/KML code for course following (similar to the GCC's implementation), but I'd not thought about syncing all activities/the totals that way - maybe I'll give that a try! I do want to sync photos in as well at some point.

As another alternative I was considering writing a separate runsaturday app...

Thanks for the feedback - you're helping to make the app better :)

hollywoof

Nov 25, 2009
One thing that is missing from gpscyclecomputer is a seperate EXIT function..

Using winmo 6.5.x versions (with the bottom buttons) you cant close the app, short of using a secondary taskmanager, so if you can include something along those lines (not tried it yet) then that would be great (and future proof it a bit).

You should be able to close the app by:
- " - pausing the activity
- square - stopping the activity
- home - go to home page
- exit - exit
- yes - I really want to exit

But maybe that is a bit too long winded. I'm mainly testing on 6.5 (Omnia II) so I know it works there...

I'm intrigued by the lapfunction, how is it going to work? I've tried a couple of other ones in the past, that haven't been quite as obvious as could be.

Especially when racing, I tend to find that pressing something is a no-no (especially cycling at 35mph and above on a 440m velodrome yo can lap quite quickly) and some of the others don't seem to realise that when you go past the place you started logging then that's the end of the first lap.

The autolap currently goes off measured distance - you can set up the autolap distance in the settings for each sport and then the just laps whenever it measures that you've reach the distance.

From personal experience of athletics tracks, I doubt you will get very good performance for cycling around a velodrome - it's just not a nice track for GPS to estimate distance... the estimation errors really build up around the circle :/ For example, I once did a 6 hour track race (normal 400m track) - and my Garmin 301 was almost 10% inaccurate compared to the lap counter. Some of this was due to me not always taking the inside lane, but (looking at the recorded track) most of it was just down to nasty GPS readings. Surprisingly that 10% was an overestimate, not an underestimate. In more normal runs, I think I'd expect my Garmin to be 1-2% accurate?

hollywoof

Nov 25, 2009

I've now seen this too... looks like a winmo/compact framework issue (as the code looks right) - I'll look into a workaround to fix it!

Jan 8, 2007
How do you import map files?? I can't find anything in the prog nor do i understand the folder structure in the maps folder?

Cheers

hollywoof

Nov 25, 2009
How do you import map files?? I can't find anything in the prog nor do i understand the folder structure in the maps folder?

Cheers

By default navmi uses downloaded maps from an OpenStreetMap server - as selected under Settings->Maps - the default is a fairly easy to read Navmi format served from CloudMade.

If you want these to download live during your ride, then on the "Plotting" page, choose "Auto download maps"

Personally, I tend to download maps offline - before I head out running - I'm on prepay! I do this by connecting to the web over ActiveSync or WiFi, starting an activity (that I never intend to keep), waiting until I get some GPS lock, switching the display to the map page and then scrolling around the UI to download all the areas I want to.

This OSM format maps is the main direction I want to continue moving forwards - it's easiest (requires least effort!). When you use this the structure in the maps folder is split up using zoom levels, then latitudes -it's a structure that's easy for navmi to read, but it's not a structure you want to play with yourself!

Beyond OSM, navmi also supports (adapted from the GCC code) a couple of alternative ways to use maps. To use any of these other methods, you must:
1. select "off" on the Maps settings
2. do not check Auto download maps
3. use File Explorer to ensure that the navmi maps folder is empty

With these 3 steps done... you can create your own maps using your PC - see instructions in line 547 and beyond in http://code.google.com/p/gccv2/source/browse/trunk/GpsCycleComputer/Readme.htm

I know at least one person is currently using GPS Tuner .gmi files with navmi - if you are, then please feel free to post with advice.

Hope that helps - sorry it's a bit long winded!

Stuart