SM T210 blessed with kitkat

Search This thread

Sachin97

May 8, 2014
Pune
Samsung finally showed some love for the galaxy tab 3 which was running 4.1.2 since the lauch.
The Kitkat firmware is available to download at sammobile its 831mb in size.
I have flashed the firmware and its good with some minor changes.
Below are the some changes i have noticed.
1) new lockscreen
2) album art now shown in lockscreen.
3) multi-window added.
4) gps toggle changed with location.
5) multi user support.
6) personal message now shown in lockscreen and its customisable.
7) new type of keyboard.
8) battery performance improved.

Screenshots coming soon.

Sent from my SM-T210 using XDA Free mobile app

Sachin97

May 8, 2014
Pune

Attachments

• 1410772365542.jpg
    1410772365542.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 576
  • 1410772379765.jpg
    1410772379765.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 478
  • 1410772396773.jpg
    1410772396773.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 443
  • 1410772420873.jpg
    1410772420873.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 1410772445644.jpg
    1410772445644.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 408
  • 1410772458571.jpg
    1410772458571.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 1410772469152.jpg
    1410772469152.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 1410772531592.jpg
    1410772531592.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 458

ameva

Mar 13, 2014
Download the firmware from this site.
I recommend to use uc browser to download.
It will work on both t210 and t210r.

I know it probably isn't a big whoop, but that site says sm-t210, no sm-t210R.

Even so, I downloaded the rom/firmware (same thing right?) from the live-samsung updates site. I'm just trying to find a reliable way to back up my apps. Too bad Kies only does contacts and stuff. How did you handle your apps before upgrading? Did you use ODIN to do it?

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011

Even so, I downloaded the rom/firmware (same thing right?) from the live-samsung updates site. I'm just trying to find a reliable way to back up my apps. Too bad Kies only does contacts and stuff. How did you handle your apps before upgrading? Did you use ODIN to do it?

Well either use Titanium Backup or a similar app, or just flash the firmware using odin. I did that and all my data is still present an the update did not wipe anything. And yeah I guess ROM and firmware are pretty much the same thing. At least everybody uses them as synonyms. Though I think there is a slight difference and I personally prefere the word ROM.

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Free mobile app

jasonvoor1313

Sep 16, 2014
perfect

Samsung finally showed some love for the galaxy tab 3 which was running 4.1.2 since the lauch.
1) new lockscreen
3) multi-window added.
5) multi user support.
7) new type of keyboard.

Screenshots coming soon.

its perfect i downloaded the uk as backup and installed the italy version then factory rest it works great no lag no slow downs miles better the jellybean which was slow .as soon as this is offical in uk i can revert back and update ..

also found it strange when plugged it in to kies it now uses kies 3 now mmm

ps more backup options are there when reseted which backs up the lot something about story mode with photos mmm

ameva

Mar 13, 2014
Well either use Titanium Backup or a similar app, or just flash the firmware using odin. I did that and all my data is still present an the update did not wipe anything. And yeah I guess ROM and firmware are pretty much the same thing. At least everybody uses them as synonyms. Though I think there is a slight difference and I personally prefere the word ROM.

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Since I don't want to go through rooting again (I had a scary experience with it), I could just flash it? You just flashed the firmware using odin and it didn't affect things like data, game progress (if you have games), things that are stored in memory? I know a few of my apps are connected to certain accounts, so their data is backed up, but my other apps like Pocket I'm unsure about.

What happened with rooting was it caused my device to have a really dim screen with weird colors, and in my panic I went to factory reset because at that point I was trying to get it back the way it was before. I have flashed a stock firmware to get it restored, but that was after I factory reset, so I couldn't tell if my apps lost data since everything was long gone. But if what you said is true, I could theoretically flash 4.4.2 kitkat on my 4.1.2 jelly bean, and my apps would be just as they were, right?

I just wish someone could explain more of the technicality of what flashing a firmware really does to a device. Is it like sweeping a rug out from under a table, with all the dishes still on it, and then replacing the rug with a new one with everything still in place? Sorry, I'm a visual person lol.

krispyfriez

Aug 6, 2013
Can this firmware (due to the fact that it is completely stock) be flashed in the stock recovery? Just wondering.. I have not modified my device with root or stuff like custom ROMS...

Sent from my stock, untouched Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 on the xda-developers app

ameva

Mar 13, 2014
:D:D

I took a leap of faith and agreed to update my firmware thru kies - and surprise - all my apps are still there, and plus my device is now 4.4.2 kitkat!!! I'm so relieved. Thanks to everyone who's tried to help me!

So if anyone is wondering, if you don't want to use ODIN, you can use kies (just make sure you have the right version for your device) and it will detect the firmware for 4.4.2 kitkat and update your sm-t250r for you!! And you will not lose your apps!!

Sachin97

May 8, 2014
Pune
Can this firmware (due to the fact that it is completely stock) be flashed in the stock recovery? Just wondering.. I have not modified my device with root or stuff like custom ROMS...

Sent from my stock, untouched Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 on the xda-developers app
I think you can't flash through stock recovery.
Just connect your tab with kies and update your device without losing your apps, data, progress etc

Sent from my Micromax A120 using XDA Free mobile app

Sachin97

May 8, 2014
Pune

If you use apps like Asphalt 8, mc4 etc you can save your progress on cloud.
If you want to avoid downloading the big games follow the steps below:-
1)install apk extractor.
2)extract apk's of the apps of which you want to backup.
3)open file manager and go to android obb and copy the main obb file of the game you want to desktop.
4)the extracted apks will be in a folder called extracted apks. Copy them also to desktop.
5)in file manager open android named folder and open data folder.
6)and copy all the data to your desktop.
7) that's it you have now backed up your apps and their data.

To restore the apps first install each apk one by one and then place the main obb file in their respective places and put the data files in the data folder.

As I don't use much apps I had factory resetted my device and then flashed the firmware.

Last edited:

ameva

Mar 13, 2014
If you use apps like Asphalt 8, mc4 etc you can save your progress on cloud.
If you want to avoid downloading the big games follow the steps below:-
1)install apk extractor.
2)extract apk's of the apps of which you want to backup.
3)open file manager and go to android obb and copy the main obb file of the game you want to desktop.
4)the extracted apks will be in a folder called extracted apks. Copy them also to desktop.
5)in file manager open android named folder and open data folder.
6)and copy all the data to your desktop.
7) that's it you have now backed up your apps and their data.

To restore the apps first install each apk one by one and then place the main obb file in their respective places and put the data files in the data folder.

As I don't use much apps I had factory resetted my device and then flashed the firmware.

Thank for you reply! I have already found a solution without using Odin. I used Kies and it upgraded me to 4.4.2 with all my apps and data untouched!! :) Thanks for your help though!

odifek

Aug 9, 2014
Please does bluevpn work after the update? Because I use it to connect to my blackberry and browse the net, I don't want to lose that connectivity

jz3

Jun 22, 2010
Installed via kies successfully! What is the best method to re-root?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1) new lockscreen
    3) multi-window added.
    5) multi user support.
    7) new type of keyboard.

Screenshots coming soon.