Kindle Fire 2 7" Stock Restore

Search This thread

Hondologe

Sep 25, 2009
www.hondo.de
Restoring from CM

In case i wanna restore to the original FireOS, is it also possible to boot into fastboot via "adb reboot recovery" and follow your instuctions? (In case of no fastboot cable and not beeing in a bootloop)

Last edited:

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
In case i wanna restore to the original FireOS, is it also possible to boot into fastboot via "adb reboot recovery" and follow your instuctions? (In case of no fastboot cable)

I have had some problems using ADB fastboot before but on the other hand I have successfully carried out this restore using it too. As long as you flash the correct files to the correct partitions then you will be able to restore still if something goes wrong. The only thing that can go a bit screwy is after flashing boot and recovery, a fastboot -i 0x1949 -w should be carried out before flashing the system file. You do not need to fastboot -i 0x1949 -w AFTER flashing system.img in this case.

Reactions: Hondologe

Hondologe

Sep 25, 2009
www.hondo.de
If you get stuck just give me a shout, I usually watch the forums and can answer quite quickly

Sorry for late feedback, was too busy last weeks.. weird thing, can get the kindle to reboot into fasstboot ?!

Tried it via shell on the Kindle itself (su, then reboot bootloader), tried it vie adb (adb reboot bootloader) also i also tried it with a root shel opened via adb and then reboot bootloader).

Seems like reboot command sets bootmode always to 7, at least thats the output of the shell regardless which option i give reboot :(

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Sorry for late feedback, was too busy last weeks.. weird thing, can get the kindle to reboot into fasstboot ?!

Tried it via shell on the Kindle itself (su, then reboot bootloader), tried it vie adb (adb reboot bootloader) also i also tried it with a root shel opened via adb and then reboot bootloader).

Seems like reboot command sets bootmode always to 7, at least thats the output of the shell regardless which option i give reboot :(

Have you tried "adb reboot fastboot" rather than "bootloader"?

Hondologe

Sep 25, 2009
www.hondo.de
Have you tried "adb reboot fastboot" rather than "bootloader"?

Effect is the same :(

ill get the following output:

reboot fastboot
Reading idme data ...
Setting bootmode to 7
Writing new vars to temp area
You must reboot before new values will take effect

and the device shuts down, it does not even reboot until i press the power button... :confused:

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Effect is the same :(

ill get the following output:

reboot fastboot
Reading idme data ...
Setting bootmode to 7
Writing new vars to temp area
You must reboot before new values will take effect

and the device shuts down, it does not even reboot until i press the power button... :confused:

Ok, the reason this is not working for you is I think your Kindle is not currently rooted, which is why the bootloader does not kick into fastboot.

There is a post to access fastboot via adb but I think it is for KF 1st Gen so I would not personally try this. Failing all this, why not have a go at making your own fastboot cable? I have made several now and it really is easy and it can save you a lot of bother if something goes drastically wrong?

Let me know how you get on

Last edited:

Hondologe

Sep 25, 2009
www.hondo.de
Ok, the reason this is not working for you is I think your Kindle is not currently rooted, which is why the bootloader does not kick into fastboot.

There is a post to access fastboot via adb but I think it is for KF 1st Gen so I would not personally try this. Failing all this, why not have a go at making your own fastboot cable? I have made sevral now and it really is easy and it can save you a lot of bother if something goes drastically wrong?

Let me know how you get on

Right now i run CM11, which is already pre-rooted..
Root Check says it is rooted and the shell prompt says: "root@android:/ # " ... so i assume its rooted ....

idme bootmode 4002 also wasn't successful :(

Weird thing, seems like i really have to get me a factory cable if i wanna have the tablet back to stock...

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Right now i run CM11, which is already pre-rooted..
Root Check says it is rooted and the shell prompt says: "root@android:/ # " ... so i assume its rooted ....

idme bootmode 4002 also wasn't successful :(

Weird thing, seems like i really have to get me a factory cable if i wanna have the tablet back to stock...
Strip down a micro usb cable and make your own factory cable, I promise you it will end all your troubles :)

Hello I am trying to restore my Kindle Fire 2 using your instructions. I have a factory cable and boots up to fastboot just fine. All goes well until I get to "fastboot –i 0x1949 –w" and receive this error message:

erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [183.180s]
formatting 'userdata' partition...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type not supported.
OKAY [ 0.120s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 70.971s]
formatting 'cache' partition...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type not supported.
OKAY [ 0.116s]
finished. total time: 254.386s

Then when I reboot the device I come up to the red triangle logo and do a restore to factory settings but now the kindle is stuck on a bootloop.

I hope someone can help as I have tried all sorts of things to try and get the device to work.

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
I got stuck with your instructions, but in the end it was something simple.

I had adb drivers setup etc, a proper fastboot cable which works perfectly, but every time I tried to send any of the commands it sat there "waiting for device".

What I was doing was copying your commands from the guide, from Win 7 Wordpad.

Once I manually typed the commands they worked perfectly, even though it looked exactly the same in the command prompt!

I tried this on Ubuntu 14.10 and two Win 7 PC's, and they all did the same thing. As soon as I manually typed the commands everything worked.:good:

Reactions: hashmiUNITED

obsolete1

Jan 7, 2013
Please Note: This guide is for the Kindle Fire 2nd Generation, NOT the 1st generation!! Do not use this guide if you have the 1st Generation. 2nd Generation Kindles have a rounded unlock slider towards the bottom right of the screen, 1st generations have a pointy slider in the middle right of the screen. If you use this guide on a 1st Generation you will brick your device!!

Good luck!!

This is by far one of the best things to restore a KF2 (aka otter2) thank you.

lzgmc

Feb 13, 2016
United States
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Please Note: This guide is for the Kindle Fire 2nd Generation, NOT the 1st generation!! Do not use this guide if you have the 1st Generation. 2nd Generation Kindles have a rounded unlock slider towards the bottom right of the screen, 1st generations have a pointy slider in the middle right of the screen. If you use this guide on a 1st Generation you will brick your device!!

Edit - I have edited the instructions file as the fastboot -i 0x1949 -w command needs to be done BEFORE flashing the system.img file otherwise you can get stuck in a boot loop in rare cases. This should now work 100%.

Ok, after weeks of reading these forums I found that because of the sheer volume of help available for people with faulty or bricked Kindle Fires, it can be a little overwhelming for someone to attempt to repair their device and in some cases they can take the wrong course of action and end up making matters worse.

I thought I would write a guide for a specific common problem which is a Kindle Fire 2 stuck in a boot loop. The boot loop being that the Kindle Fire logo flashes on the screen, stays for a number of seconds and then the Kindle restarts and the same thing happens over and over. Now I know there are other similar threads around and even some programs that have automated utilities to do this but I found that most of them were not successful and I ended up doing this my way anyway. This guide is also assuming that you can enter Fastboot mode on your device.

I have attached all files needed for this guide so you don't have to go looking over the internet and clicking lots of links to get what you need.

Download the following files and follow the instructions in the word document.

Instructions - https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv4ny1qageoyktm/Kindle Fire 2 stock install .docx?dl=0

Android SDK - https://www.dropbox.com/s/auk5hexf1ttjst4/installer_r23.0.2-windows.exe

10.2.4 bootloader - https://www.dropbox.com/s/80xafpcj9l9ln8h/otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin

boot - https://www.dropbox.com/s/333dbtrvvec8j11/boot.img

recovery - https://www.dropbox.com/s/91czoe545gf5k9q/recovery.img

system - https://www.dropbox.com/s/spbkzjqg2etoa9m/system.img

Good luck!!

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D::highfive::good::good::good::good::good::good:

Last edited:

joeylikesubuntu

Jul 3, 2013
your guide ain't noob friendly is there a easier way instead of the command crap im no bill gates and im damn sure im not linus torvalds

Last edited:

timothus

Feb 5, 2017
instructions

turn on kindle 2, logo goes on/off. connect fast boot cable, flash on/off fast boot! Question following your instructions how can I install all the packages installed on my computer into the kindle.?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide not available any more
    In case i wanna restore to the original FireOS, is it also possible to boot into fastboot via "adb reboot recovery" and follow your instuctions? (In case of no fastboot cable)

I have had some problems using ADB fastboot before but on the other hand I have successfully carried out this restore using it too. As long as you flash the correct files to the correct partitions then you will be able to restore still if something goes wrong. The only thing that can go a bit screwy is after flashing boot and recovery, a fastboot -i 0x1949 -w should be carried out before flashing the system file. You do not need to fastboot -i 0x1949 -w AFTER flashing system.img in this case.
    Cool, so i should be on the safe side when i restore to stock :)
    Going to try it out later and give you a feedback!

If you get stuck just give me a shout, I usually watch the forums and can answer quite quickly
    I got stuck with your instructions, but in the end it was something simple.

I had adb drivers setup etc, a proper fastboot cable which works perfectly, but every time I tried to send any of the commands it sat there "waiting for device".

What I was doing was copying your commands from the guide, from Win 7 Wordpad.

Once I manually typed the commands they worked perfectly, even though it looked exactly the same in the command prompt!

I tried this on Ubuntu 14.10 and two Win 7 PC's, and they all did the same thing. As soon as I manually typed the commands everything worked.:good: