Battery problems solved/improved!!! (Two findings to drastically improve drain)

Search This thread

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
I'm currently test the alpha of the next setcpu ill post when its fully working on our hox.

screenshot2012050115524.png

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

farnsbarns

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Intriguing idea. Yeah, it's possible, for instance by using the performance governor. No change at all here, though. YMMV.

Shame, thanks for trying though. There's mention above that the max frequency setting isn't taking but I would guess the the performance setting would do it. Back to racking of brain. I won't risk root until I know I have good hardware.

Fruktsallad

May 15, 2011
Shame, thanks for trying though. There's mention above that the max frequency setting isn't taking but I would guess the the performance setting would do it. Back to racking of brain. I won't risk root until I know I have good hardware.

Wise choice, patience is a virtue. I couldn't wait and now I'm Kinda stuck with faulty hardware hoping it's all down to software.

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
I'm on CoreDroid 2.0 (1.28)
SetCPU shows I'm using Ondemand. When screen on, CPU stays at 340MHz sometimes drops to 102MHz, and that's with music playing in the background, using Sense.
So I guess I don't need to change to Interactive.

Fruktsallad

May 15, 2011
I'm on CoreDroid 2.0 (1.28)
SetCPU shows I'm using Ondemand. When screen on, CPU stays at 340MHz sometimes drops to 102MHz, and that's with music playing in the background, using Sense.
So I guess I don't need to change to Interactive.

Well, for me, interactive helps keeping the CPU from unneccessarily ramping up too far and makes it go down faster as well. That makes the difference between a phone that's cool or hot to the touch.

bl0wf1sh

Feb 16, 2011
Great tips here! I think that will extend my battery life quite a bit.
As I switched to APEX launcher now, sadly though, my HTC widgets for data, wifi, gps toggle are gone and I have to fall back to SwitchPro. that is fine functionally, but SwitchPro's design is a bit... dated.
Anyone know (a) better-designed widgets or (b) how to get HTC's widgets on APEX launcher?

*edit* for widgets, will try Beautiful Widgets once it's fixed. For governor, I can confirm that the CPU jumps erratically under on demand, which is fixed by setting interactive.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As many of you know, battery life on the One X has been lets say, poor.

I decided to narrow down the problems and try to figure out whats causing it.

I figured i'd download voltage control (SetCPU works also) and underclock the CPU, low and behold......I may have figured out why the battery was dropping so much during screen on standby.

ONDEMAND GOVERNOR!!! It was causing crazy CPU instability. The CPU was constantly changing from 340mhz to 1500mhz (or your max speed) every single second, alternating constantly.

I've changed it to Interactive and it's been much more stable now. When not doing anything, the CPU will stay at 340mhz and no longer constantly ramps up to maxx CPU speed and back down alternating.

Try this out and see if it helps you guys. I'm going to continue experimenting with the other governors, but Interactive should be the best blend between battery and performance.

Also download CPU spy to see what steps of the Speeds have been active the most.

Edit: Changing the frequencies does not do anything sadly. Will need to wait for VoltageControl and SetCPU to be updated.
    BUT changing the governor does work and makes a big difference.

Going to Interactive, my battery no longer drains at around 1% for every 1-2 minutes of screen on time leaving the screen on and idle. It drains much more normally.

Tonight I will do the HTC test where you check how much battery drains for 1 hour of screen on time at max brightness. You may feel free to try it out using the dialer *#*#3424#*#* and running battery test.
    I will do this tonight and upload my results/screenshots

Update:
    Here are the two main tips that I have found out now to help a lot with battery and low CPU usage that is stable

1) Use Interactive Governor, it is less aggressive at ramping up to max frequency and much more efficient. Also more stable and not erratic like OnDemand Governor

2) USE APEX LAUNCHER or something besides Sense Launcher.

I have downloaded Tegrastats to show me CPU usage and have compared between Sense Launcher and Apex. Sense is very resource hungry, and CPU usage is very high. It is almost constantly has both cores turned on and usage fluctuates between 15-70% alternating on the two cores when screen is on but idle. The frequency also stays around 400mhz on idle.
    Apex launcher on the other hand, uses 1 core when idle, and usage stays around 10%. It also hovers around 102-204mhz when screen is on but idle. When swiping as fast as possible to ramp up speeds, I haven't seen it go above 640mhz and usage between the two cores is around 30-50% EVEN with both cores vs. alternating 15-70% on both cores with Sense Launcher
    Set CPU doesn't work it will still go over the max set. I have contacted the maker and he is looking into it hard without kernel sources. Screen shot

screenshot2012042617432.png

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium