[Q] HTC Sensation Keeps Shutting Off by Itself

Search This thread

Sorrowed

Dec 22, 2011
A very good day to everyone.

I have been using my HTC Sensation for a year and a half already and recently it's starting to crank up.

It started last week when I was using my phone when suddenly it just switched off by itself and no matter how I attempted to switch it back on again it would boot up to the lock screen page and baam, it shuts off again. It doesn't restarts by itself or anything, it just simply switches off and no, I am unable to switch it on again. The only time I am able to do so again is when I plug it into a power source, that is when it would finally be able to start up.

At first I thought that it wasn't something big until recently it started occuring more frequently and I noticed that it only occurs whenever I have my 3G switched on. If I'm plugged in, my phone would still be working without switching off even though I have my 3G switched on. But when I unplug it from its power source, I'll be able to use it with 3G on for a good 20-30mins or even lesser at times and there it goes shutting off by itself again. What actually got me dumbfounded is how I can be having 80% of battery power when this happens.

I have tried the using a card/paper as a wedge for the battery so that it connects better but to no avail even though I have noticed that indeed, my battery seems to have some extra allowance for it to fidget about within the confinements of the spot which is allocated for the battery. I have tried the switching the phone's data usage to GSM only as well as switching it to WCDMA only but both still didn't work. I have also done a factory wipe which didn't work, super wiped it before flashing ARHD once again which didn't work as well.

To make things worse, my phone is not covered under warranty anymore and my only last hope is that the problem lies with my phone's battery rather than the PCB board which is why I'm putting all my hope on the Anker battery which stocks would only come in next Monday which I don't wanna spend on only to find out that it's not gonna be able to save my phone from its miserable plight...

This is my phone's setup:

Android Version 4.0.3

Sense Version 3.6

Software Number - Android Revolution HD 6.8.0 XE by mik1986

Kernel Version - 3.0.16-g31a4fc7 htc-kernel@u18000-build-144 #1 SMP PREEMPT

Baseband Version - 11.76A.3504.00P_11.24A.3504.31_M

I'm really desperate to find a solution to this so if there's anyone of you who has faced this issue/solved this issue please enlighten me as to what I can do, any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Sorrowed

Dec 22, 2011
I've tried other ROMS already but it still force shuts itself whenever my phone's 3G is switched on. Any solutions?

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
seems like a radio problem ..reflash the firmware you are having or ..flash 3.33/3.32 universal firmware from kohr-ah firmware thread in sensation development section

once done ..get getril app ..open it and flash proper ril for the firmware if you not having matching ril :)

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Reflash it and see ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

I'd add to that to reflash it using a fresh download of the firmware file. It's possible (though slightly unlikely) that you have a tiny corruption of your existing firmware file so reflashing it might just put the same error back. I say that's unlikely because errors in the radio file of firmware would likely be causing you bigger problems than you are saying. But a new download and fresh flash won't hurt.

Or try switching to the 3.32 firmware (They aren't much different) just to see if it makes a difference. If not you can at least rule that out.

Just a head's up though, after you flash a new firmware file, reboot into recovery and wipe cache and dalvik or you will likely just get a bootloop at the boot animation when trying to start it the first time.

Reactions: ganeshp

stanix.de

Sep 19, 2012
I had the same problem - the battery was broken, had to buy a new one, search for "Anker" on amazon

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Last edited:

Sorrowed

Dec 22, 2011
Reflash it and see ...

I've tried reflashing the 3.33 firmware but it keeps telling me that the installation has been aborted.

I'd add to that to reflash it using a fresh download of the firmware file. It's possible (though slightly unlikely) that you have a tiny corruption of your existing firmware file so reflashing it might just put the same error back. I say that's unlikely because errors in the radio file of firmware would likely be causing you bigger problems than you are saying. But a new download and fresh flash won't hurt.

Or try switching to the 3.32 firmware (They aren't much different) just to see if it makes a difference. If not you can at least rule that out.

Just a head's up though, after you flash a new firmware file, reboot into recovery and wipe cache and dalvik or you will likely just get a bootloop at the boot animation when trying to start it the first time.

I've tried this method of yours as well but apparently it tells me the same thing when I try to flash the firmware. "Installation aborted" and I don't know why is this happening...

I had the same problem - the battery was broken, had to buy a new one, search for "Anker" on amazon

I've found a seller over here in my country who I'm going to be meeting tomorrow and finally test it out as to whether has it been my battery's problem or is it just my hardware being faulty. Will test it out and let you know of the end results, thanks mate!

It would help a lot of we had your last_kmsg file. To get the file, you can use this app: LumberJack(Had to change due to my account lacking the minimum requirement of 10 posts before I can post a link) Get the last_kmsg file RIGHT AFTER your phone shuts down and turns back on so we can see what made it shut down. Then, attach the file to your first post so we can see it :)

But after it shuts down I have to connect it to a charger before I can switch it on again, would that affect the log?

Sorrowed

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for all the help guys, got myself a new Anker battery and apparently that seems to have solved the problem so far... It has yet to shut off on me or anything for the past 6 hours with my 3G switched on throughout.

TTime_007

Jul 7, 2012
Thanks for all the help guys, got myself a new Anker battery and apparently that seems to have solved the problem so far... It has yet to shut off on me or anything for the past 6 hours with my 3G switched on throughout.

Same here! Just got mine today.. Had axactly the same problems! No shutdowns so far! Mine was also 1.5 years old! Happy it was only the battery!:laugh:

Sorrowed

Dec 22, 2011
Same here! Just got mine today.. Had axactly the same problems! No shutdowns so far! Mine was also 1.5 years old! Happy it was only the battery!:laugh:

Definitely! Thank goodness it was just the battery otherwise there goes a great phone. Not to mention that with the anker battery it has a greater and better lifespan!

dobius

Jul 26, 2012

My situation is identical to yours. 1,5 years old, constantly rebooting, after reboot the battery power drops to 4%. If it's connected to the power cord it works normally. Already ordered Anker battery and I'll see what happens.
If I look closely, I can see that my battery is a little bloated and not completely flat. Did anybody else noticed that?
So I guess all of this should be written on HTC Sensation FAQ page since it's not a bug, but a feature...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reflash it and see ...

But after it shuts down I have to connect it to a charger before I can switch it on again, would that affect the log?

No, it would not.