Phone/texts work, no data. help pleasee

Search This thread

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yesterday I traded for an AT&T m8. The person failed to tell me that the phone was rooted and a custom ROM was installed, I found this out while I was in the ATT store getting a SIM for it and I seen TWRP flash across the screen when the sales rep rebooted it.

Voice calls work and texts are fine, I haven't tried an MMS but I'm assuming it won't work. As for my data, it shows the bars on the top and they even change to reflect signal strength, but there is no AT&T symbol and there is no mobile connection.

I snapped some screen shots of the ROM and any other info I thought might be of help. I've tried a few AT&T APNs that I looked up and none seem to change anything. A factory reset results in the (seemingly) correct APNs for AT&T .

Any help would be much appreciated, and I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before (I'm sure it has). I searched for a couple hours last night and couldn't find a solution. The phone appears to be rooted with s-off.

2r3dwcj.png

2qja7o0.png

23m0q48.png

6gydfb.png

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
What radio baseband, and what are the APN settings you have tried?

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
How do I check what radio is on it? Ive tried 1 or 2 APNs it doesn't seem like an APN issue.. it could be the radio.

name: ATT Phone
Apn: phone
Proxy: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
Mms port: 80
Mms protocal: wap 2.0
Mcc 310
Mnc 410
Apn type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota
Apn protocal: ipv4
Apn roaming: ipv4
Bearer: unspecified

Also I downloaded one of the AT&T radios and tried installing it through TWRP but it just spit back an error message. It was a .img file

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I updated the cid to supercid and no longer T-Mobile. Here's a screen shot of some recovery info and the radio .. not sure if its AT&T or not.

35iqfl0.jpg

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Any time I click mobile data on from the notifications tray it automatically says "disconnected because service is unavailable" by default underneath.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
How do I check what radio is on it? Ive tried 1 or 2 APNs it doesn't seem like an APN issue.. it could be the radio.

name: ATT Phone
Apn: phone
Proxy: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
Mms port: 80
Mms protocal: wap 2.0
Mcc 310
Mnc 410
Apn type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota
Apn protocal: ipv4
Apn roaming: ipv4
Bearer: unspecified

What I have is slightly different, and what I have matches what is listed here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB424489&cv=820

Although I'm not sure if this is the problem, and I'll get to that in a bit . . .

Also I downloaded one of the AT&T radios and tried installing it through TWRP but it just spit back an error message. It was a .img file

The radio .img files are flashed in adb. It has to be a flashable zip to flash in recovery.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

I just used a cid finding app and apparently the phone has a T-Mobile cid right now, not sure if that makes a difference or not

CID is just a check that HTC uses when installing official software updates, etc.

CID does not affect service with your carrier.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Your radio number corresponds to Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) firmware. Incompatibility between the KitKat radio and the current Lollipop ROM may be the cause for no data.

My recommendation would be to run the Lollipop AT&T RUU, which will put you on all AT&T software, including the stock AT&T ROM, radio, and all other partitions. Its a complete stock software image. So if software is at all the reason for your data problem, the RUU should solve it. Instruction and download for the RUU are listed near the bottom of the following webpage (PC required): http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

No need to relock the bootloader to run RUU, since your phone is s-off.

However, the MID needs to match for the AT&T model in order to run this RUU. Since the CID was changed to T-Mobile, I suspect the MID may also have been changed. Best was to check is adb command: adb getvar all

If you post the getvar output, be sure to delete the IMEI and serial number. These are personal info, and should never be posted online.

SuperCID will be okay to run the RUU. So no need to change that.

Also bear in mind that the RUU will wipe user data, so back anything you want to keep.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Also, are you sure the phone is originally the AT&T version? If it is, it would have the AT&T "globe" logo on the back. I believe the phone is either an AT&T model that the previous user tried to "convert" to T-Mobile and did a botched (incomplete) job as the radio is AT&T; or else its a T-Mobile version that was converted for use on AT&T's network.

The T-Mob version does not have any carrier branding on the back.

Also, when you do adb getvar all the product name will also help determine what "original" version the phone was.

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I researched and seen that the firmware was for kitkat and updated it to the lollipop firmware. Now under mobile data instead of saying "disconnected because service is unavailable" it just says disconnected. I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not because I still have no data .

2u6px6c.jpg

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Redpoint, I went ahead and ran the stock AT&T Lollipop RUU like you suggested. Unfortunately, still no mobile data. At this point I'm not sure what else I can try..

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Update: I tried installing the ATT radio from this thread using the oemRUU adb method. It seemed to have installed fine, data still broken though.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2736921

All the radios listed on that thread are quite obsolete (correspond to Android 4.4.2).

This was not what I suggested, and more likely to cause more issues than otherwise. Although since you've now updated to more current radio firmware, there is not actual harm done aside from time needlessly wasted.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Redpoint, I went ahead and ran the stock AT&T Lollipop RUU like you suggested. Unfortunately, still no mobile data. At this point I'm not sure what else I can try..

Since you are not back to "full stock" (an the most updated version, at that) which also should include the default APN, I'm tending toward an issue on AT&T's side. Its possible the account was not properly provisioned for data when they gave you the SIM.

I'd suggest going back to the AT&T store and ask for help checking your account, if that is feasible. Otherwise, call AT&T customer service.

The other possibility is a hardware issue. While possible, its the less likely scenario, I'd say.

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I went to the AT&T store yesterday and the lady there tried a different SIM, and other solutions but couldn't figure it out. I'm gonna go to the ATT service center in my area tomorrow and see what they can do to fix it or swap it out.

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I went to the service center and the lady got me all straightened out. The APN was still wrong after putting the stock software on it. I knew it looked funny but didn't think it was wrong because like you said it was stock software. Now convince me not to reroot and put that ROM with sense 7 back on :)

Here's the screwed up APN that came with the stock RUU

5ec291.png

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I went to the service center and the lady got me all straightened out. The APN was still wrong after putting the stock software on it. I knew it looked funny but didn't think it was wrong because like you said it was stock software.

Here's the screwed up APN that came with the stock RUU

That's exactly what I have, which works fine. At least in my location.

My understanding "nxtgenphone" is for Voice Over LTE (which this device supports, AT&T calls it "HD Voice") so maybe your area doesn't have HD Voice yet; or there is some other issue related to this deployment that is screwing up data connection for this APN. Just guessing a bit here.

Now convince me not to reroot and put that ROM with sense 7 back on :)

Now why would I do that? ;)

Actually, some folks are having issues with "international" based ROMs on AT&T's network. Actually, the opposite of the problem you just fixed (no voice calls or text) and again probably related to HD Voice. Not everyone has this issue (I've been fine on Skydragon Sense 7). But at a minimum, I'd recommend making a nandroid backup of your current working setup, in case the ROM causes such issues.

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Guess I spoke too soon. I just happened to check the data speed with the speed test app and I'm barely breaking 3mbps. I didn't even notice that there was no LTE symbol under the 4g icon until after that.

If I go into the phone settings using *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer WCDMA is preferred and I cannot change it.

I guess back to the service center again :/

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Guess I spoke too soon. I just happened to check the data speed with the speed test app and I'm barely breaking 3mbps. I didn't even notice that there was no LTE symbol under the 4g icon until after that.

If I go into the phone settings using *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer WCDMA is preferred and I cannot change it.

I guess back to the service center again :/

What is the current APN?

Definitely something screwy going on. Either something wrong with LTE in your area, something not provisioned right on your account (LTE not enabled?) or bad APN (not that likely, since you already tried different APNs to begin with).

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
LTE is fine in our area my girlfriend's note 3 is getting 25+mbps. I'm gonna try to make it to a regular ATT store and have them look at it because I can't get to the service center today. My apn:

21es3sn.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey red, I have an update for you.

I went to the ATT store today trying to get them to figure out why I can't set up visual voicemail, and after about 40 minutes they gave me the number for warranty and said they'd send me a new phone.

My IMEI was set to all 1's in their system for some reason and they fixed that but it made no change to help the voicemail issue.

Anyhow, I called the number when I got home and finally got someone who knew what they were doing on the line. He seen that my phone was listed as a Pantech in their system and immediately knew it was the root of my issues. He then fixed it and set my phone on the proper settings on their side.

I guess with my phone being set to a random Pantech model I was only able to receive dumb phone service.

So I got my LTE back finally, but visual voicemail is still screwed. He went ahead and changed it on ATT side that I can use the old style voicemail so its better than nothing.