HTC Aria screen cracked=no warranty=workmanship?

Search This thread

bakuryu883

Apr 14, 2009
My girlfriend has bought a HTC Aria from operator Digi (Malaysia) with 1 year contract.
today is just 5th month and she dropped the phone from her pocket.the screen just cracked as it just so short distance and low force dropping.
We went to claim for warranty as it's not cracked cause of knockedand we were rejected for warranty.
In the warranty statement listed: This limited warranty does not cover physical damage to the surface of the product including **but not limited to cracks or scratches on the LCD screen or camera lens.**

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

It makes sense to me that the warranty would be void if you drop it, unless you had purchased insurance on the phone that explicitly covers such damage. The warranty is there for product defects, not for consumer damage. Almost all phone manufacturers (same think with computers/TV's) will void your warranty if you break the screen.

You could try repairing the screen yourself.

unsivil_audio

May 4, 2011
Sheridan
Not really, its Gorrilla Glass, which although is more scratch resistant and less crack prone; is also more brittle. And all it takes is one good drop.

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Since when did the Aria have Gorrilla glass? Regardless, the glass you're refering to would be on the digitizer (the thing you touch), not the LCD screen. As drumist said earlier, you'd have to drop it extremely hard to break the underlying LCD glass.

sluzi26

Jul 13, 2010
Not really, its Gorrilla Glass, which although is more scratch resistant and less crack prone; is also more brittle. And all it takes is one good drop.

The 2 foot drop that splintered the top right half of my screen on to a soft wood laminate floor says otherwise. The Aria is NOT a Gorilla Glass phone.

Gorilla800lbs

Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I dropped my Aria many times, from different heights and onto different surfaces. This pattern of abuse logically resulted in the screen cracking when my little Aria slipped out of my unzipped jacket pocket onto a hard granite floor in my office elevator lobby. Do I blame HTC for the lack of workmanship? No. They never claimed that their phones are shatterproof.

unsivil_audio

May 4, 2011
Sheridan
You guys should do your research. The aria does indeed HAVE gorilla glass. Go look at the Corning website if you don't believe me. They list it under the devices containing gorilla glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/#featured-products

Last edited:
Reactions: DanGeorges

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
You guys should do your research. The aria does indeed HAVE gorilla glass. Go look at the Corning website if you don't believe me. They list it under the devices containing gorilla glass.

Could be. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not completely convinced that their website is correct. It seems weird how much Gorilla Glass was hyped up for some phones (i.e., Galaxy S when it came out) if it was already used on nearly every Android phone, even the very first Android phone (T-Mobile G1).

HTC customer support has even said certain phones do not use Gorilla Glass, including ones listed on Corning's website. Although I don't necessarily believe HTC support either.

I have scratched my digitizer with my finger (not fingernail -- just the pad of my finger that you are supposed to use). I assume something abrasive got on my finger to cause that to happen, although I have no idea what or where it could have come from. The two scratches are right in the path where I normally swipe left or right to switch between home screens. Anyway, it wasn't like I was applying any significant amount of force with my finger so I find it hard to believe this is really Gorilla Glass. Unless somehow I got a microscopic spec of diamond on my finger? :p Either that or Gorilla Glass is not all it's cracked up to be.

Last edited:

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Weird that it's listed on their site, I've always been under the same impression as drumist. They would have advertised it if they actually had it.

My girlfriend's Samsung galaxy s has gorilla glass and physically feels different. I've always been super paranoid about scratching the phone with my fingernails or other. I even keep an entire pocket dedicated to it.

I guess there's only one way to find out for sure though. Take a key and drag it across the digitizer. I nominate unsivil_audio for the experiment.

unsivil_audio

May 4, 2011
Sheridan
Look at all the independent tests of gorilla glass on the internet. Probably one of the biggest gimmicks in phones today, and not nearly as durable as the name suggests. I'm not stupid nor gullable, I realize its still glass and is highly prone to cracks. It will not tolerate side impacts, which is why even a small drop can shatter it.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App

Tokobo

Aug 30, 2010
My girlfriend's Samsung galaxy s has gorilla glass and physically feels different. I've always been super paranoid about scratching the phone with my fingernails or other. I even keep an entire pocket dedicated to it.

I guess there's only one way to find out for sure though. Take a key and drag it across the digitizer. I nominate unsivil_audio for the experiment.

This. Aria's screen felt different from Galaxy S in my opinion too.

But maybe, gorilla glass only refers to the material? There could be additional coating (by other brands such as Samsung) or something like that.

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
It does not have gorilla glass. And even if it did, gorilla glass still breaks if you drop it on the side. My girlfriend shattered the screen on her Samsung vibrant last week. Just be thankful you can buy replacements for the aria. If you break a vibrant screen you're SOL.

FlyinHi

Oct 20, 2010
I dropped my Aria many times, from different heights and onto different surfaces. This pattern of abuse logically resulted in the screen cracking when my little Aria slipped out of my unzipped jacket pocket onto a hard granite floor in my office elevator lobby. Do I blame HTC for the lack of workmanship? No. They never claimed that their phones are shatterproof.

I dropped my Aria once, it landed on it's bottom left corner, from about 3ft up on concrete. I have had the huge crack in it for several months now.

pa0lo25

Dec 22, 2010
Physical damage on the unit is not covered under warranty for any brand. Crack LCD/screens is a prime example of abuse/negligence, and it is not covered by the warranty (this hold true with any gadget,TV,notebooks).

lambition

Mar 22, 2010
Most mobile devices with glass digitizer is tempered glass.
Tempered glass is very strong when force is applied to flat surface. However, if it is hit on the edge or hit with sharp object, it will break rather easily.

Since aria has removable back cover, and when cover is removed glass edges show up, it is very likely to land on glass edge when dropped and break the glass.

This may be a design problem, but not defect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.