What's so bad about Stock rom

Search This thread

Coop486

Nov 27, 2008
I personally use the stock rom, it's definitely a personal preference. Some people want more control over their devices. I use mine mostly for business and just need it to work and most of the time I don't have the time to tinker. I am rooted though.

Kevets

Mar 20, 2010
I've been open to try everything but always end up back at stock. Everything works, and at least as well as a hopped-up ROM. For some reason, my stock ROM isn't as slow as 'everyone else in the world' claims it to be. I've noticed very little speed difference between stock and anything else.

sndtubes

Oct 29, 2008
I don't understand why you would want to switch to a rom where there are major systems that don't work such as camera, 4G, etc. I'm fine with the stock rom until these things are fixed. I fear they won't be since this phone is near end of life.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

FernBch

For me I moved away from stock within a week if getting my MoPho. On stock the galley app just sucked, laggy, wouldn't load, etc. It had to go. Plus all that bloatware that I never used that ran in the background. I started with TiBu and froze bloat after bloat. Once I started dropping things that ran in the background that I never used battery life improved markedly. Plus some of the stock widget apps, like weather, were just functional at best. I would unload the widget, get an app from the market that worked better, then I would have to go in and freeze the apk's that ran the widget cause they would load anyway.

Each new ROM I try is a step closer to blur-less than the last. More stability, better battery life, and a few tweaks and it has never been easier to customize my phone to my personal tastes.

Just my 2¢

I'm a MoPho-er

Reactions: bullfrog527

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
I love the stock ROM - it's fast, stable, and works. With the CPU power and amount of memory in this phone, bloatware is not an issue.

I used to cook custom WinMo ROMs because of functionality and bloatware removal. But I found myself flashing so often, that I never felt like I just used the phone.

Also, back in the WinMo days, we got frequent "leaked" betas that were quite stable. The ICS alphas are not there yet.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

I don't understand why you would want to switch to a rom where there are major systems that don't work such as camera, 4G, etc. I'm fine with the stock rom until these things are fixed. I fear they won't be since this phone is near end of life.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

You don't think they will work in the upcoming Q3 ICS release?? I'm sure they will.

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
One of things, that I like on blur is the Dialer, Phone and Contacts trio. The best I ever had in phone. All other, including CM are far behind these with functionality. And BlurCamera from 2.3.5 is the best camera for this phone. But gallery is not good, music is not good, and why so much social services in system, when not all people like it? And why Electrify and Atrix has newer system (with 1080p recording), when it's almost the same hardware? Looks like something is not alright.

Th3Bill

Feb 6, 2012
Where I Am
One of things, that I like on blur is the Dialer, Phone and Contacts trio. The best I ever had in phone. All other, including CM are far behind these with functionality. And BlurCamera from 2.3.5 is the best camera for this phone. But gallery is not good, music is not good, and why so much social services in system, when not all people like it? And why Electrify and Atrix has newer system (with 1080p recording), when it's almost the same hardware? Looks like something is not alright.

Funniest part is Photon has an 8MP camera, and Atrix is 5MP, yet can record higher res video...always thought that strange

babs2er

Aug 28, 2010
Gurgaon
Stock ROM is just great

Stock ROM is just great for everyday use

Use motomizer to further optimize the ROM

I also use Go Launcher instead of the stock launcher which is kinda slow

Compared this to my Samsung S2 where i need to use a custom ROM .. Photon just rocks

bullfrog527

Jan 29, 2011
Bradley, IL
OnePlus 7T
Why don't you think they'll work in ICS?

With sprint walking away from the photon, and without any rumors of another Motorola device for sprint on the horizon, why would they support a "dead" device? I think that sprint has some kind of "deal" with HTC and Sammy, so they push their phones.

overall it's just my personal opinion that that ics build that Motorola said we will get sprint will not give us. I had a transform before this and was supposed to get an update to 2.2 by the end of 2010, it didn't show up until March our April of 2011. So I'll not hold my breath for sprint. We have great Devs that are making this phone great

sent from my MIUI MoPho

dsims7_2000

Apr 6, 2009
Virginia, USA
With sprint walking away from the photon, and without any rumors of another Motorola device for sprint on the horizon, why would they support a "dead" device? I think that sprint has some kind of "deal" with HTC and Sammy, so they push their phones.

overall it's just my personal opinion that that ics build that Motorola said we will get sprint will not give us. I had a transform before this and was supposed to get an update to 2.2 by the end of 2010, it didn't show up until March our April of 2011. So I'll not hold my breath for sprint. We have great Devs that are making this phone great

sent from my MIUI MoPho

I said all of this in my OP! To just be honest, Sprint **** on the Photon and it's users!! And the really sad part, they did it in more that one way!!

Reactions: bullfrog527

willysp

Apr 6, 2010

sent from my MIUI MoPho

I hear you. I bought the Photon because (1) Photon GSM support since I travel internationally, (2) good experiences with older Moto phones, (3) just plain liked the Photon. My last 6 to 8 phones had been HTC, so was a stretch for me to change.

Hard (but not impossible) for me to believe that, after Moto finally announced Photon (=Sprint) ICS upgrade in Q3, that we won't get it. If it doesn't happen, I'll ask Sprint to let me switch to another phone (I'm a long-term, multi-line customer, and they've worked with me before).

But I believe it will happen.

And with all due respect to the devs, the ICS alphas are too buggy for me to consider for a business phone. They're doing the best they can without ICS source, so kudos to them.

bullfrog527

Jan 29, 2011
Bradley, IL
OnePlus 7T
I said all of this in my OP! To just be honest, Sprint **** on the Photon and it's users!! And the really sad part, they did it in more that one way!!

Absolutely!

I hear you. I bought the Photon because (1) Photon GSM support since I travel internationally, (2) good experiences with older Moto phones, (3) just plain liked the Photon. My last 6 to 8 phones had been HTC, so was a stretch for me to change.

Hard (but not impossible) for me to believe that, after Moto finally announced Photon (=Sprint) ICS upgrade in Q3, that we won't get it. If it doesn't happen, I'll ask Sprint to let me switch to another phone (I'm a long-term, multi-line customer, and they've worked with me before).

But I believe it will happen.

And with all due respect to the devs, the ICS alphas are too buggy for me to consider for a business phone. They're doing the best they can without ICS source, so kudos to them.

when was the last time you tried them out? I'm on MIUI and have had only cosmetic issues for a while, you should check it out

sent from my MIUI MoPho

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
Absolutely!

when was the last time you tried them out? I'm on MIUI and have had only cosmetic issues for a while, you should check it out

sent from my MIUI MoPho

It's been awhile. But with ICS on my Xoom, my Photon is used mostly for phone, text, email. So I'm content to wait for official ICS.

mrcleanjr88

Mar 23, 2012
I thought it had been stated before that th photon wasn't getting ICS. That's why the devs are porting it to our phone...that would mean there is no official release.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In my experience, on the Photon you do not need anything other than stock. Stock runs GREAT. Every custom ROM I have tried has issues.

However, most of my other Android phones really needed custom ROMs due to battery or other issues which hampered their performance.

The Photon is the rare phone that works fine as is.

IMO.
    Its all personal preference. I personally cant stand blur it drives me nuts, CM9 and nearly ever other has working mms(-MIUI for now) and im a huge CM fan ever since I first flashed CM7. Whatever works best for your uses really.
    For me I moved away from stock within a week if getting my MoPho. On stock the galley app just sucked, laggy, wouldn't load, etc. It had to go. Plus all that bloatware that I never used that ran in the background. I started with TiBu and froze bloat after bloat. Once I started dropping things that ran in the background that I never used battery life improved markedly. Plus some of the stock widget apps, like weather, were just functional at best. I would unload the widget, get an app from the market that worked better, then I would have to go in and freeze the apk's that ran the widget cause they would load anyway.

Each new ROM I try is a step closer to blur-less than the last. More stability, better battery life, and a few tweaks and it has never been easier to customize my phone to my personal tastes.

Just my 2¢

I'm a MoPho-er

sent from my MIUI MoPho