HD2 Touch Screen Not Responding

Search This thread

ryanusu

Jan 26, 2011
fixed touchscreen (replacement)

I finally broke down and spent $50 on ebay for a touchscreen with digitizer. It took me 2 hours to do the swap but my HD2 is now fully functional.

If you are wanting to do this I recommend getting double sticky tape as mentioned earlier. I had a hard time getting my phone back together and the screen itself is not all the way pressed together. However, it's pretty solid and the HD2 is working like a dream again.

I guess there is no magic fix to the touchscreen issue. You just have to replace the screen/digitizer. I recommend buying them together. You can probably get a digitizer by itself and use your existing screen but that involves very careful work and glue/tape and higher risk for ruining stuff.

All the best-
Ryan

grega_slo

Apr 24, 2007
Hey guys!

I finally came across this section :)

I had my HD2 for 2.5 yrs... All of the sudden touch stopped working...
OK I said what the hell and tried all methods described here...

Then I bought new touch+lcd already assembled and replaced it... I hard-reset went back to stock but my digitizer still won`t work... New LCD is doing fine, but touch no go...

Any idea more :) ?

Thanks!

bedwar22

Dec 30, 2009
New life for HD2

So now after 2 years, 1 and a half months I have the digitizer issue aswell. Its increible how these things happen. I just got a new contract for 2 years thinking my HD2 would last forever and even before the new SIM arrived it started gasping its last breaths.
I spent a lot of time searching the forums , especially this one. With a lot of button pressing I got things running again for a few days, then death, more button pressing, another few days and then nothing. I gave up and decided to look into getting it repaired. I thought HTC might have some sympathy being so close to the end of the guarantee period but after a pleasant telephone converstion, they called me, I was informed it could not be covered and I should send it in for a quote. If I did not like the quote they could dispose of it for me - I guess sort of geting rid of the evidence! Anyway as I had another quote for around €200 I eventually decided to get a new phone - EV0 3D for €290 from Mediamarkt. Its actually quite nice but has a cheaper feel. The 3D has no real use but does have a sort of Wow effect.

Back to the HD2 though. A tip for anybody who starts to get this problem - Install a VNC server program and activate it. After a last ditch effort , a lot of pressure here and there and a sore thumb I finally got VNC installed and running. Now I have an ex- phone I can control from a PC or another android device and my HD2 can start its new life connected to my amplifier as an Internet radio and Music streamer.

Hope this helps a few of the others out there who are out of guarantee and dont feel up to the challenge of replacing the digitizer.

Good luck to all HD2 owners - now I am off over to the EVO 3D section to see what they are upto.

Last edited:

grega_slo

Apr 24, 2007
OMG I hammered red button and it started to work...
But it works there and that...
I have to apply pressure on end key several times...
Shhhhhhhh...

I have my Sensation now, thanks god.
But HD2 gave me 2.5 great years :)

theej

Feb 10, 2008
HTC touch screen unresponsive

So now after 2 years, 1 and a half months I have the digitizer issue aswell. Its increible how these things happen. I just got a new contract for 2 years thinking my HD2 would last forever and even before the new SIM arrived it started gasping its last breaths.
I.

Haha, same problem here, last two weeks major problems with the unresponsive screen. Got my phone end nov.2009; was still hoping to use it for a while... guess they just build it to last max 2.5 years.. so sad... really loved the phone..

Wel, hopefully i get in once more; going to pair a bluetooth mouse or something (previously successfully operated HD2 phone with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so hopefully works again)...

marrisnwosu

Aug 29, 2009
Texas
Found a fix

THIS IS A WORKING FIX.... SOMETHING SO SIMPLE

The digitiZer is under the hangup button. press the button bit hard till it nudges the digitiser a little. it worked for me.
Found this in the comment section of : htcphones.net/htc-hd2-problems-with-touchscreen

ENJOY

J

jianC

That does not always work for me.. ^ Sorry to burst your bubble, but even if it did, it is only temporary and the problem will only get worse over time/usage...

BTW, I am very interested if most people with unresponsive digitizers have T-mobile (no solder digitizer) or EU (soldered digitizer)?

If less people with EU have digitizer problems, then I might try and replace an EU digitizer/lcd assembly onto my t-mobile hd2..

bib*oops

Oct 15, 2009
That does not always work for me.. ^ Sorry to burst your bubble, but even if it did, it is only temporary and the problem will only get worse over time/usage...
Good point!

If less people with EU have digitizer problems, then I might try and replace an EU digitizer/lcd assembly onto my t-mobile hd2..
I wouldn't recommend you to do such a thing: it is well-known that US version combo(digitizer+lcd) is better in quality!

jackrabbit72380

Mar 10, 2011
Trenton
www.landsoftworks.host22.com
Same problem here, I've been testing for about 2,5 months now and today I've sent mine back to HTC :(. I think it's a hardware problem, tried everything from hard resetting to reflashing. When I press the HTC logo and keep it pressed the screen does respond again. Conclusion: hardware problem.

Yes it is a hardware problum i have the same problum and it relates to the very delicate part mentioned ^ but i want to know exactly what part it is and make a gyed to fix this issue and also but some protecting metal around the ribbon if thats posible to stop it from happening agin also what to know exactly what part is damaged and what part to order to fix this issue with total repair guide because this is an extreamly annoying issue i think htc should be offering a recall on the device with the issue because its pritty random and of the blue error i have managed to find a temp fix...

Take the battery out push in middle back alittle bit. push hard on the power RED button and then push the power RED button fealy fast like 20 times pop the battery back in and should work but dont hit the red button because it may go in to hybernate agin and lock up! this is just a temp fix!!! From my findings somehow the phone heted up the solder connecters or something like that between the red power button and digitalizer connecter making shure it works and red button is not messing up giving it alot of heat like with hair dryer and then carfuly moving to freezer for a good 15 mins may permenetly fix the problum but i personaly think a nice protective peace of metal around that pat may prevent this hardware problum from happening..

I plan on ither buying a new one or 2 or paying full price to have mine fixed if possible or something maby even rip it aprt my self and tinker till I can find a permenet fix where i know the issue wont come back

hope that helps someone!!!

Last edited:
J

jianC

Yes it is a hardware problum i have the same problum and it relates to the very delicate part mentioned ^ but i want to know exactly what part it is and make a gyed to fix this issue and also but some protecting metal around the ribbon if thats posible to stop it from happening agin also what to know exactly what part is damaged and what part to order to fix this issue with total repair guide because this is an extreamly annoying issue i think htc should be offering a recall on the device with the issue because its pritty random and of the blue error i have managed to find a temp fix...

That would be a good idea to cover the ribbon but it may be safer to use a thin piece of plastic, maybe styrene from hobby store.

snuphy

May 15, 2010
Syracuse
milspecanchors.com
Kind of sort of maybe fix?

I love this phone. Mine died almost a year ago. I read all about the issue and decided I didn't want to wait.... So I got a new phone. A few actually over the last year.

Then a friend randomly tells me he has one in perfect condition. Naturally I jump all over it and trade my g2 for it. And I'm in love again with my hd2.

It got me wondering about my old phone again. I realized I don't care if I break the old one but I want to play with it.

I ended up taking a very small flat head screwdriver and separating the glass from the rubber outside below the hard buttons. I was so angry with the device for not working I was just going to snap the screen in half for the hell of it. But when I did this I realized the hard buttons moved a lot... so I stressed it to the max and wiggled the power button a bit and to my surprise the screen is now responsive... Now I have two of these and I don't really care about the recently fixed phone so I've literally been trying to get it to mess up again by pressing the power button really hard and restarting the phone. But for the last few hours or so it's working perfectly.

No idea if this is a viable solution... That's a lie... this is most certainly not a viable solution but those of you out of warranty and an extra hd2 laying around with nothing to lose... why not :)

eugenile

Dec 20, 2009
This is why I use tablet tweaks so I hardly use the hard keys

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA

kateryaris

Apr 18, 2012
I had the same problem with you at first I thought that it was something wrong with the rom and I did a clean install but the problem was still there. Then I installed the default rom but the problem was still there. Unfortunately it was hardware problem and they had to fix a chip from the phone. I read that many people had similar problems with that because of the overuse of the phone.

My solution for now....

The digitizer is what is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. But you might as well replace both digitizer and LCD as you can buy them already put together in a combo pack. :D

eye did soft reset, hard reset, nothing happened... While fumbling with de END KEY, de slider became operable somewhat, so eye use an Xacto blade to pry de edges of de end key & 4now eye got action...

QUEST ION: would contact cleaner cause de end button to get better contact... eye'm figgering at all de action de end button receives + dirt, etc from daily use could cause? button contact problems...

High Chief Otunba Omowale Agbasaga of Ido-Oshun:cool:

sakkyoku

Mar 5, 2011
Some have suggested that it's the flex cable that passes under the button. I can confirm that this was the case with mine..when I opened the phone, the cable looked cracked/broken on the edge, presumably from being pinched and pushed under the end call button. I believe that if you are experiencing the problem as described by the OP, it is very likely to be this particular hardware issue and no ROM or tweak is going to fix it. Bending or flexing might help for a while. Minimizing your use of the end call button for waking the phone as soon as you notice this problem beginning will help also, and if you aren't experiencing this problem yet on your HD2 I suggest getting used to waking your phone with other buttons to avoid it. Hope this helps someone.

Crippius

Jul 28, 2011
Namur
Here's an answer I made on another thread, you've got all details in it

From my own experience :

1. It's a common issue, there are hundreds of reports in this forum and I read them all because I had the same problem some months ago :D

2. Probably not. It's generally hardware-related and often the digitizer (touch responsive screen) . Brief explanation : There's a flaw in the design of the HD2, the thin cable wiring the digitizer to the motherboard, is just below the power button. After some extensive use of your powerbutton, it might happen that the power button touches the cable and cause some kind of shortcut in it which makes the digitizer unresponsive to the motherboard.

3. I replaced mine here : http://www.htcphonerepairs.co.uk/ . Fast repair, secure shipping to Belgium, good price and excellent customer support. (Sounds like advertizing but I swear to be only a happy customer :p )

There are also multiple videos on youtube explaining how replacing the digitizer yourself if you dare !

Also, I read answers saying that you can somewhat "play" with your buttons (especially the power one) to turnaround the problem. That's correct, BUT it's absolutely inevitable that the problem with come back again if you use the buttons, and you'll have to force more and more to unblock again and repeat again and a again... and that will damage your button bar.
I did this during almost 2 months and that put down all my buttons and now they are really close to the chassis which is very annoying. If only I knew it before I would have replaced the digitizer directly !

For 6 months with my new digitizer + using ICS with soft buttons, I have no problem at all !

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just fixed mine

http://www.htcphones.net/htc-hd2-problems-with-touchscreen/

Thats the link I used. All i had to do was push in the hangup button(red) on the HD2 very firmly and kinda moved my finger around with it. Mine started acting up all crazy recently and the screen finally stopped working last night. This solved my issue. I just did it in 5 seconds and the screen started working again. BEST SOLUTION EVER!
    Same problem here, I've been testing for about 2,5 months now and today I've sent mine back to HTC :(. I think it's a hardware problem, tried everything from hard resetting to reflashing. When I press the HTC logo and keep it pressed the screen does respond again. Conclusion: hardware problem.
    OK, some of this may sound kind of stupid, but it was my experiance so hopefully it will help some of you guys.

I think in my case, it is a problem with the hard buttons, let me explain.

When the issue first started for me, I would wake the phone up with the red call button and the touchscreen wouldn't work. Through experimentation I found out if I hit the button at just the right angleor used any other key, it would wake up 100% of the time.

I had a perfictlly working phone for a couple of weeks until now the other buttons stopped working 100% of the time. After some googleing I found the dumbest sounding solution ever. Stick your fingernail in between the case and the screen at the top of the phone. It worked for about a month. If I tried to wake the phone up and it wouldn't, Do that, and try again. Then out of the blue, This just stopped working.

After ever more experimentayion I found out that if I hold the green phone or home key REALLY hard until the screen wakes up, I get a 80-95 percent success rate. Meaning I rarely have to try more than twice.

I fear this may be the end of the line for my beloved HD2 as the problem just gets worse and worse, And I bought it on craigslist about a year ago so I don't think I'll be getting any warrenty work.

Sticking the fingernail between the screen and the phone worked. Screen became responsive again. Holly s!!!t. It must be the red button that cause the problem. I cannot be doing that every time.
    I have the same problem and i need your help please help me out.

I do have the tmobile ROM but i had installed hardSPL and i will i guess have to go back to the original SPL that came with the phone, right??

please let me know how to do that as my phone is not responding to touch.

thanks

Yes you must return everything ROM/RADIO/SPL to origional or an allowed update ROM.

You can either put the phone into BootLoader Mode and connect to the PC then run HSPL3 and select the SPL version for your ROM but ending in .0000

or you can download the t-mobile ROM from T-Mobile site (if it is a TMOUS) or the HTC site (if anywhere else), extract the files and rename the largest one to 'leoimg.nbh'. copy it and nothing else to a 4GB (or less) SD Card. Put the phone into BootLoader Mode and follow the instructions.
    Confirmation

somewhere in deep ungle of xda I had read that hd 2 end call button has a "touch" with touchscreens "hardware" (vcables/connectors, not sure how to translate) every time it is pressed, therefore, after some time touch screen goes numb.

You're right, it is typical for HD2(a design flaw): using very often END Call/POWER button will determine, over the time, a premature failure of your touchscreen.