Debian for Nandroid

Search This thread

imperiallight

Aug 5, 2008
Original thread (Thanks mercianary):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=744236

Instructions

Here is a direct link to zipped .img file with deboot file both to be placed onto on root of SD card

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7MON3O0J

Ingredients
debian.img + deboot (to be placed on the root of your SD card)
Better Terminal Emulator (or other terminal emulator) + AndroidVNC (or other VNC client) from the market

To automate one click startup process via Better Terminal Emulator:
Preferences>Initial command:

Code:
export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH:.
su
sh /sdcard/deboot

Or type this for each new session in any terminal emulator:

Code:
su
sh /sdcard/deboot

You should get a blank screen showing "localhost:/#" after a couple of seconds.

Then leave Terminal running in background (don't let it close via task killer or otherwise), hold down the hardware menu or home button to switch programs for a bit and connected in via VNC (AndroidVNC)...
address: localhost port: 5901 and password: password ... then hit connect (login details will be saved for next time)...
its working fine software keyboard etc and at good speed. In menu options select 24bit colour, local mouse, 1:1 scaling and Touchpad only to make navigating menus much easier.

Normal phone and Android functions should be fine.

Short press hardware menu key to get mouse options etc and longpress to bring up software keyboard (using Android VNC).

This debian image cannot be shut down unless the phone is rebooted.

I am using the Hyperdroid Rom off NAND, overclocked at 1.2ghz and a 16GB class 6 microsd (although it should be independent to all this... worth mentioning)

Edit 1. This is a bare image with LXDE on top but the repository for Debian is large and you can use apt-get install openoffice.org, apt-get install abiword etc to grab whatever you want to fill the 1.5GB image... unlike Ubuntu all the applications are free.

Edit 2. Its possible to have debian and ubuntu on your SDcard.

Last edited:
Reactions: farhang_za

maneken25

Oct 21, 2010
This will sound stupid but is it possible to run this if you have sdcard android build and not nand?
Ty for reply.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA Premium App

imperiallight

Aug 5, 2008
This will sound stupid but is it possible to run this if you have sdcard android build and not nand?
Ty for reply.

No. But look out for this.

Hmmmmmm can any body tell me exactly WHAT IS THIS?!?

Its a versatile linux OS of desktop quality, affectionately known as the mother of all linux operating systems, it is the 4th most popular linux variant as compliled by distrowatch as of 2010 and third in terms of downloads in early 2011. Ubuntu was number 1.

Here are some positive traits of Debian.

Last edited:

adamvanner

Apr 21, 2008
So, ok, Ive got this working,.. where does the image come from exactly? how was it built and can any linux variant be used?

kinsago

Jan 8, 2008

Edit 1. This is a bare image with LXDE on top but the repository for Debian is large and you can use apt-get install openoffice.org, apt-get install abiword etc to grab whatever you want to fill the 1.5GB image... unlike Ubuntu all the applications are free.

Nice, will have to check it out. Used to use debian on my IBM X31 'cos Ubuntu was just little too resource hungry until my PB butterfly arrived :) Just looked into the 'paid apps' for Ubuntu. OMG!!! Are they having a laugh? Who is seriously gonna pay for commercial codecs when you can just download the 'bad' and 'ugly' packs from the repos!!! Off topic I know, but, seriously, what???

farhang_za

Oct 6, 2010
well i have tried my best but this is NOT realy working for me! :(
i get this Error :

# su
# sh /sdcard/deboot
mkdir failed for /sdcard/debian, File exists
losetup: /dev/block/loop5
mount: mounting /dev/block/loop5 on /sdcard/debian failed: Device or resource by
mount: mounting devpts on /sdcard/debian/dev/pts failed: No such file or directy
mount: mounting proc on /sdcard/debian/proc failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting sysfs on /sdcard/debian/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sdcard on /sdcard/debian/root/sdcard failed: No such file or dy
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
chroot: can't execute '/bin/bash': No such file or directory
#

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
I keep getting the error message
"sdcard/deboot: line 5: syntax error: unexpected "else"
#"
I checked out the linked thread by the OP and downloaded another deboot file but still got the same error.
I have got WP7 dual booted with american android with a 16GB SDcard partitioned 50:50
I managed to get Ubuntu 10.10 working via VNC off the SDcard but would like to get this debian to work to free up storage space.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

plasmastrike

Aug 16, 2008
North ogden
dystopiancode.com
i also got this error

# su
# sh /sdcard/deboot
mount: mounting /dev/block/loop5 on /sdcard/debian failed: Device or resource by
mount: mounting devpts on /sdcard/debian/dev/pts failed: No such file or directy
mount: mounting /sdcard on /sdcard/debian/root/sdcard failed: No such file or dy
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
#

what do you have to do to fix it. is it a rom problem becouse i have hyperdriod gbx v12
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=918899
is it different form hyperdriod gbx 2.01 becouse that is what imperiallight is using, im even using a 16gb sdcard but class 2

hendydundy

Dec 26, 2009
I also got the same problem...

any body know how to fix it??

Edit: solve the problem, reinstall the ROM from scratch..
Next.. ubuntu

i also got this error

# su
# sh /sdcard/deboot
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
#

what do you have to do to fix it. is it a rom problem becouse i have hyperdriod gbx v12
is it different form hyperdriod gbx 2.01 becouse that is what imperiallight is using, im even using a 16gb sdcard but class 2

Last edited:

z3nful

Jan 22, 2011
Phoenix
www.hookupcellular.com
i also got this error

# su
# sh /sdcard/deboot
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
#

First off, you already have the .img mounted(/sdcard/debian device busy), and the rest of the file structre wasn't created right.

to create it manually, run these in terminal:
Code:
cd /sdcard
rm /debian
mkdir /debian
cd debian
mkdir /dev/pts
mkdir /proc
mkdir /sys

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
I just managed to boot this using SD Android via haret.
I couldn't get it to work before using ACA sd, see my previous post.
I used http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1437463 SD ICS from tytung.
First boot created debian folder ok but after second boot I could not connect with VNC due to localhost:1 being used by /tmp/X1-lock. I tried using 5902 but no go.
After reading up whether you can delete this, it seems you can.
So using root browser (from market-free) I deleted /mnt/sdcard/debian/tmp/X1-lock (and also X11-UNIX in same place, as this also gives the same problem) and then entering the commands in terminal
I haven't had any problems so far.
Remember to backup everything before trying this, I don't accept responsibility etc.
Note; megaupload link in first post gone, use link in original thread

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instructions

Here is a direct link to zipped .img file with deboot file both to be placed onto on root of SD card

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7MON3O0J

Ingredients
    debian.img + deboot (to be placed on the root of your SD card)
    Better Terminal Emulator (or other terminal emulator) + AndroidVNC (or other VNC client) from the market

To automate one click startup process via Better Terminal Emulator:
    Preferences>Initial command:

Code:
    export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH:.
    su
    sh /sdcard/deboot

Or type this for each new session in any terminal emulator:

Code:
    su
    sh /sdcard/deboot

You should get a blank screen showing "localhost:/#" after a couple of seconds.

Then leave Terminal running in background (don't let it close via task killer or otherwise), hold down the hardware menu or home button to switch programs for a bit and connected in via VNC (AndroidVNC)...
    address: localhost port: 5901 and password: password ... then hit connect (login details will be saved for next time)...
    its working fine software keyboard etc and at good speed. In menu options select 24bit colour, local mouse, 1:1 scaling and Touchpad only to make navigating menus much easier.

Normal phone and Android functions should be fine.

Short press hardware menu key to get mouse options etc and longpress to bring up software keyboard (using Android VNC).

This debian image cannot be shut down unless the phone is rebooted.

I am using the Hyperdroid Rom off NAND, overclocked at 1.2ghz and a 16GB class 6 microsd (although it should be independent to all this... worth mentioning)

Edit 2. Its possible to have debian and ubuntu on your SDcard.
    Hmmmmmm can any body tell me exactly WHAT IS THIS?!? :(
    sorry for stupid Q :)
    Linux running as some sort of virtual machine on android by using vnc(rdp) software.

Just tried this again and realised that you need to reboot.
    so the steps are
    1. put deboot and debian.img to root of sd
    2. disable any task killers
    3. enter terminal and type
    Code:
    su
    sh /sdcard/deboot
    4. short press home key
    5. open root browser
    6. navigate to /sdcard/debian/tmp/ and delete the folder .x11-unix and the file .X1-lock
    7. reboot phone
    8. do 2., 3. and 4. again
    9. open android VNC
    nickname-debian
    password-password
    port-5901
    (24bit colour option)
    10. connect;)
    In menu options (short press search hw button) select 24bit colour, local mouse, 1:1 scaling and Touchpad only to make navigating menus much easier.

Not sure why this works, but it does. If you don't reboot after deleting, nothing is functional although it does connect to desktop. It seems that after rebooting, the .x11-unix folder is restored but not the .X-lock file

Working on ICS sd build (using magldr this time)
    It works wonderfully fast. It;s simply amazing.
    Got few questions though, I am not Linux pro.

1. How to shut down permamently Debian and free up memory from android? Nevermind, though we should investigate:
    "This debian image cannot be shut down unless the phone is rebooted."

What i found is a quick dirty method to reboot all: reboot -f via Debian terminal :)

2. Is there any way to change hardware buttons, so Volume Up acts as a Left Mouse Button and Volume Down acts as RMB?

Additional mirror with Debian.img:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/vxkkwb