[Q&A]{Evita/One XL} Noob Friendly Q&A + General Help - Ask Any Question!

Search This thread

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
[SIZE=+3]
The n00b Friendly Evita Q&A Thread!
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Why?[/SIZE]

OK, I noticed we don't have anything like this in our Evita forum so I've created this thread as a safe place for new members to ask questions.

If you're a new member you probably have a bunch of questions, this is a place for you to come and ask anything you want to without fear of persecution.

Even if you're not a new member, please feel free if there's something you want to know.

I'd also like to encourage some of our valuable knowledgeable members to help out with answering some questions here.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1] What You Need To Do[/SIZE]

All I ask is that you search properly before posting, it is in our rules after all. It's more than likely the questions you want to ask have already been asked and answered before, it's just a matter of finding them. The Evita FAQ thread would be a good place to start. Also, this thread is at a point now where I've covered pretty much any question you could think of asking, so please use the search feature to find your answer because I can almost guarantee it exists here already. If you've searched thoroughly and can't find the answer, or if you don't understand the answer, please go ahead and post here. Please provide the following information if you're going to ask a question:

-The model of your phone (at&t, Telstra, Rogers etc).
-Your bootloader details (the first five lines).
-Your current ROM/kernel.
-Your current recovery.
-All events that lead to your current situation.
-What you've tried already (detail please, don't say "I've tried everything").
-Anything else that's relevant.​

Please don't ask which ROM is best/most stable/fastest/prettiest/can eat the most hot dogs. No matter which way you word it, the question is not allowed. To say one ROM is better infers that others are inferior in some way. This is disrespectful to the devs who spend their spare time bringing us these ROMs free of charge. Each user has their own taste anyway so there is no best ROM. Check out the available ROMs and flash a few, you'll find out pretty quickly which one is best for you, plus that's half the fun anyway.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]FAQ[/SIZE]

For frequently asked questions please see the FAQ thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2136172

There is a great deal of very useful information in this thread so I'd suggest having a read there before posting in here. If there's a question that hasn't been asked there, or if you don't quite understand one of the answers please feel free to ask here.

z7e6jQa.jpg

A huge thank you goes out to the following members who have very generously made donations to me. Donations aren't expected in return for my assistance, but they are greatly appreciated.
@taomun
@Aloysius496
@HTCuser3
@adamussg

aDlDoZJ.jpg

Donate To Me

Sent from my Evita.

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
[SIZE=+1]Important Sections/Threads[/SIZE]

Evita forum main page
http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1538

Evita Q&A Section
http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1572

Evita Android Development (Mainly Sense ROMs)
http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1541

Evita Original Android Development (AOSP ROMs)
http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1726

Evita How-To Guide For Beginners by @timmaaa
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2593382
A valuable thread detailing some helpful guides on flashing a recovery/ROM/kernel, plus more.

Evita Compilation Roll-Up Thread by @redpoint73
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1671237
This is the single most important thread in our forum, it contains links to basically everything here. If you're looking for something, this is the thread you want.

Evita Compilation Roll-Up Thread by @TonyStark
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2422477
Another incredibly valuable thread containing many useful links as well as some very important rules and guidelines, please read.

Sent from my Evita.

Last edited:

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
ok. I'll bite. Especially since I don't have to start a new thread!

A while back I flashed the Telstra OTA to get the 2.15 Hboot and see if it worked better than the AT&T 3.18 (2.14 Hboot.)
Probably not the best idea but I didn't know any better at the time. I forgot all about this since it was running fine even though I'm in the US and not Australia.

I see many AT&T folks on the 3.18 RUU with 2.14 Hboot and I wonder, does it matter? I also seem to be immune to some of the WIFI and Data problems I notice many folks have on the 4.3 and 4.4 Roms.

My Radio: 1.31a.32.45.16_2_10.141.32.34aL
The one I should have been on with 3.18: 0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34

I'm guessing that the Telstra and AT&T radio workings are very similar. I see my settings from time to time and the bug to change it to what it is "supposed" to be kicks me. Should I RUU back to AT&T even though every thing appears to be functioning fine?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You needn't change your firmware if everything is working ok. The fact that a radio is labeled Telstra or at&t or Rogers doesn't really mean a great deal, they'll operate on all networks. I'm in Australia and I'm using the Telstra 2.40 radio but for a very long time I was using the at&t 3.18 radio with great results.

Sent from my Evita.

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
You needn't change your firmware if everything is working ok. The fact that a radio is labeled Telstra or at&t or Rogers doesn't really mean a great deal, they'll operate on all networks. I'm in Australia and I'm using the Telstra 2.40 radio but for a very long time I was using the at&t 3.18 radio with great results.

Sent from my Evita.

Thanks. That makes my OCD settle down a little now.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm not a noob, but will the Evita ever see Sense 5.5?

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I know you're not a noob :p

I don't think anyone here can really answer that definitively. There's been speculation that the upcoming at&t update might be Sense 5.5 or Android 4.3 or possibly both, but in the end it's just speculation.

Sent from my Evita.

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
I know you're not a noob :p

I don't think anyone here can really answer that definitively. There's been speculation that the upcoming at&t update might be Sense 5.5 or Android 4.3 or possibly both, but in the end it's just speculation.

Sent from my Evita.

Well I know the Evita could run it beautifully. Because the HTC One Mini just got the android 4.3 sense 5.5 update and the phone has almost the same specs as us except bigger camera and a newer processor.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yes there's no question about whether our device can run it, it absolutely could. I guess the question is will HTC release it to us? Our phone can quite easily handle Zoe but HTC claimed it wasn't able to. Many people believe this was a ploy by HTC to get people to purchase their new flagship devices in order to experience Zoe, and I have to agree with this theory. So, what I want to know is will HTC use the same kind of strategy to deny us Sense 5.5?

Sent from my Evita.

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
Yes there's no question about whether our device can run it, it absolutely could. I guess the question is will HTC release it to us? Our phone can quite easily handle Zoe but HTC claimed it wasn't able to. Many people believe this was a ploy by HTC to get people to purchase their new flagship devices in order to experience Zoe, and I have to agree with this theory. So, what I want to know is will HTC use the same kind of strategy to deny us Sense 5.5?

Sent from my Evita.

I don't know why they would deny us, because there are still many and I mean many users that still run the Evita as there daily phone...

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yes you're right, there are still many people using this phone, but you're looking at this from a human point of view. Lets look at it from a business point of view for a moment. HTC are a business, the aim of a business is to make money/profit, HTC make money by selling new devices. Now, the more people that are happy with their current device means less people buying new devices. Less people buying new devices means less profit for HTC. See what I'm getting at here? If we are able to get more/better features on a new device than we can get on our current device we're more likely to buy a new device. This is obviously a better situation for HTC. When it boils down this is all HTC really care about, the bottom line, not us as people and our wants/needs.

Sent from my Evita.

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
Yes you're right, there are still many people using this phone, but you're looking at this from a human point of view. Lets look at it from a business point of view for a moment. HTC are a business, the aim of a business is to make money/profit, HTC make money by selling new devices. Now, the more people that are happy with their current device means less people buying new devices. Less people buying new devices means less profit for HTC. See what I'm getting at here? If we are able to get more/better features on a new device than we can get on our current device we're more likely to buy a new device. This is obviously a better situation for HTC. When it boils down this is all HTC really care about, the bottom line, not us as people and our wants/needs.

Sent from my Evita.

Well even if we never receive sense 5.5 officially we are on xda and could potentially get it in the future..

But what confuses me is why would only At&t release sense 5.5 and not the other carriers

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
At&t are traditionally late to the party and it comes to releasing updates. It's possible that Sense 5.5 just happens to be ready at the time that they're looking at releasing their update.

It's possible other carriers will release Sense 5.5 but most people think we were lucky to even get Sense 5, so another update might not be on the cards for us.

We always have the great devs here on XDA though.

Sent from my Evita.

jsphone

Dec 14, 2013
Resetting back to stock RUU

Hello,

I am having trouble resetting back to stock RUU. When I enter recovery mode, the phone stays on the HTC logo. It does not advance.
I had TWRP installed but not it won't load... I'm not sure how to get back to square one. I've been reading alot on the forums and trying many things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

J

jsphone

Dec 14, 2013
Why are you trying to get into TWRP recovery? You don't need recovery for an RUU.

Sent from my Evita.

Then I'm confused on how to load an RUU. I thought you could place an RUU on the storage, them load up Recovery and it would auto load. I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm not sure where to look. XDA is enormous.

I tried pushing a custom ROM but I ended up doing it wrong and now my stock google apps are inoperable. I would like to be able to do a clean resintall of Android.

Thank you,

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ok, you are a bit confused, but we'll sort it out. An RUU is actually an exe file that you run in Windows while your phone is connected. Before we go any further though I need to see your bootloader details, the first five lines.

Sent from my Evita.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]
    The n00b Friendly Evita Q&A Thread!
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Why?[/SIZE]

OK, I noticed we don't have anything like this in our Evita forum so I've created this thread as a safe place for new members to ask questions.

If you're a new member you probably have a bunch of questions, this is a place for you to come and ask anything you want to without fear of persecution.

Even if you're not a new member, please feel free if there's something you want to know.

I'd also like to encourage some of our valuable knowledgeable members to help out with answering some questions here.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1] What You Need To Do[/SIZE]

All I ask is that you search properly before posting, it is in our rules after all. It's more than likely the questions you want to ask have already been asked and answered before, it's just a matter of finding them. The Evita FAQ thread would be a good place to start. Also, this thread is at a point now where I've covered pretty much any question you could think of asking, so please use the search feature to find your answer because I can almost guarantee it exists here already. If you've searched thoroughly and can't find the answer, or if you don't understand the answer, please go ahead and post here. Please provide the following information if you're going to ask a question:

-The model of your phone (at&t, Telstra, Rogers etc).
    -Your bootloader details (the first five lines).
    -Your current ROM/kernel.
    -Your current recovery.
    -All events that lead to your current situation.
    -What you've tried already (detail please, don't say "I've tried everything").
    -Anything else that's relevant.​

Please don't ask which ROM is best/most stable/fastest/prettiest/can eat the most hot dogs. No matter which way you word it, the question is not allowed. To say one ROM is better infers that others are inferior in some way. This is disrespectful to the devs who spend their spare time bringing us these ROMs free of charge. Each user has their own taste anyway so there is no best ROM. Check out the available ROMs and flash a few, you'll find out pretty quickly which one is best for you, plus that's half the fun anyway.

z7e6jQa.jpg

[SIZE=+1]FAQ[/SIZE]

For frequently asked questions please see the FAQ thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2136172

There is a great deal of very useful information in this thread so I'd suggest having a read there before posting in here. If there's a question that hasn't been asked there, or if you don't quite understand one of the answers please feel free to ask here.

z7e6jQa.jpg

A huge thank you goes out to the following members who have very generously made donations to me. Donations aren't expected in return for my assistance, but they are greatly appreciated.
    @taomun
    @Aloysius496
    @HTCuser3
    @adamussg

aDlDoZJ.jpg

Donate To Me

Sent from my Evita.
    [SIZE=+1]Important Sections/Threads[/SIZE]

Evita forum main page
    http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1538

Evita Q&A Section
    http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1572

Evita Android Development (Mainly Sense ROMs)
    http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1541

Evita Original Android Development (AOSP ROMs)
    http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1726

Evita How-To Guide For Beginners by @timmaaa
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2593382
    A valuable thread detailing some helpful guides on flashing a recovery/ROM/kernel, plus more.

Evita Compilation Roll-Up Thread by @redpoint73
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1671237
    This is the single most important thread in our forum, it contains links to basically everything here. If you're looking for something, this is the thread you want.

Evita Compilation Roll-Up Thread by @TonyStark
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2422477
    Another incredibly valuable thread containing many useful links as well as some very important rules and guidelines, please read.

Sent from my Evita.
    Mine.

Sent from my Evita.
    I have a very quick questions.

Will the modified TWRP version that, in my understanding, is made to flash KitKat ROMs also flash Sense 5 ROMs?

Many thanks!!

I restored back a sense 5 rom with no problems at all, using a 2.6.3 modified twrp for kk roms.
    I have question for you, while I'm sitting here waiting out the RUU process...

Once the RUU has run, and hopefully successfully updated my firmware, does it delete everything on my phone?

I know I have to reflash my recovery at that point, but will I still have root, and will my currently loaded ROM still be installed or do I need to install a new ROM right after I install my recovery?

Also, does the RUU process delete the contents of my SD card?

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Well I found out that it doesn't,

I just finished updating the RUU and I am now on Bootloader 3.18/Hboot 2.14 w/S-off. It feels good.

I just installed my first KitKat ROM, and of course the wifi is broken on the latest (Beanstalk) so I just installed the previous version, so now I'm up and running.

Thanks to everyone who assisted in getting me back up to speed with flashing ROMS, etc... Especially Timmaaa! I've learned so much in the last 2-3 days just trying to get this device back up to speed.

Cool, glad to help. Please press the thanks button on any posts you find helpful on XDA (even if they don't help you directly). It's the way we show our gratitude here.

Sent from my Evita