Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No it didn't!

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
So I have my phone all set up just the way I'd like I know people said to perform nandroid backup

Currently I have unlocked, s-off and root. and frlashed with touch clockwork recovery

Where would I perform a nandroid backup and would that backup everything text, pic, videos, installed apps.

I would like to have the update but not have to reinstall and reconfigure my phone all over again...

Boot into recovery and click backup, yes it backs up EVERYTHING, and i mean it

ok maybe I got confused, so why would the ota keep trying to pushed to my phone if I just flashed the firmware.

what did flashing the firmware do for me if i restored my nandroid backup?

the updated firmware helps make things like signal quality better and the software depends on the firmware to do what it needs (i am bad at explaining this) the firmware is low level software that helps run things better like the radio's the software is what runs at user level... your software is 1.15 (pre-ota) so when the phone sees that its being told its not up to date because its not 2.04

what im trying to say is firmware and software are 2 different things and the reason its telling you to update is because the software version you are running is not 2.04 (it doesnt look at what firmware version you have)

zanyguy

Sep 2, 2008
all thats left it to reflash TWRP or CWM and either a ROM of your choice or a Nandroid.

Quick question: after we reflash the Nandroid backup that we take before starting on this process, will we be back to the old software version (1.15)? Is there anyway to then get on to 2.04 software version as provided in the OTA (and not a custom ROM)?

Thanks for the detailed guide.

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
Quick question: after we reflash the Nandroid backup that we take before starting on this process, will we be back to the old software version (1.15)? Is there anyway to then get on to 2.04 software version as provided in the OTA (and not a custom ROM)?

If you don't restore your nandroid you'll keep the ota software. If you restore your nandroid the only thing you'll have is the updated radios, and not the software.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Reactions: zanyguy

zanyguy

Sep 2, 2008
If you don't restore your nandroid you'll keep the ota software. If you restore your nandroid the only thing you'll have is the updated radios, and not the software.

How about if we go to advanced restore in CWM and choose to only restore data, cache and sd-ext from the Nandroid backup and not the boot and system. Would that work to keep us on the latest sw version provided in the OTA while still keeping all our original data?

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com

The only way to keep the 2.04 software is to not restore your nandroid or flash a 2.04 rom (you keep the firmware no matter what now that youve taken the OTA)

Oh and your welcome :) please vote in the poll if you havent

You will keep all of the firmware that was included in the OTA not just the radios but yes you will keep it

How about if we go to advanced restore in CWM and choose to only restore data, cache and sd-ext from the Nandroid backup and not the boot and system. Would that work to keep us on the latest sw version provided in the OTA while still keeping all our original data?

No, what would most likely happen would be either FC's or you wont be able to boot, you are more than welcome to try but stuff might not work after you do that

Last edited:

zanyguy

Sep 2, 2008
The only way to keep the 2.04 is to not restore your nandroid or flash a 2.04 rom

Please help because all I want is to get on the latest sw. version but also keep all my apps, settings and data intact and not have to go over it all over again. What are my options?

If I restore my Nandroid backup, can I then apply a custom 2.04 ROM or even the stock 2.04 ROM will that achieve my purpose?

Spider210

Sep 13, 2010
Boot into recovery and click backup, yes it backs up EVERYTHING, and i mean it

the updated firmware helps make things like signal quality better and the software depends on the firmware to do what it needs (i am bad at explaining this) the firmware is low level software that helps run things better like the radio's the software is what runs at user level... your software is 1.15 (pre-ota) so when the phone sees that its being told its not up to date because its not 2.04

what im trying to say is firmware and software are 2 different things and the reason its telling you to update is because the software version you are running is not 2.04 (it doesnt look at what firmware version you have)

Thanks for the explanation I didn't understand it last night but it makes perfect sense this morning.. Lack of sleep doesn't help

Sent from my Red Droid DNA

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Please help because all I want is to get on the latest sw. version but also keep all my apps, settings and data intact and not have to go over it all over again. What are my options?

If I restore my Nandroid backup, can I then apply a custom 2.04 ROM or even the stock 2.04 ROM will that achieve my purpose?

Yes I did that with the rim provided by the op it worked fine. All if my apps and data restored with nandroid then applied updated rom. The tweaks are just perks

Sent from my Red Droid DNA

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com

Ok these are your two and only two options:

1) Backup all of your apps with titanium backup then flash a 2.04.605.2 Rom (you will have to do a full wipe or you will get a bootloop) and then use Titanium backup to restore your User Apps + User Data (you cannot mix and match system data at all)

2) Flash a 2.04.60.2 Rom and just restore all of stuff the long way

Im sorry not trying to sound mean or anything but this is the downfall of flashing roms is when there are system updates because it usually requires full wipes and then you gotta do either of the two things i posted above

oh and with any 2.04.605.2 Rom the only kernel you can use at the moment is the bone stock 2.04.605.2 kernel (none of the custom ones until HTC releases the source code)

I personally took the OTA for the firmware only and then flashed back to a 1.15.605.4 Custom Rom and a Custom Kernel

Last edited:

zanyguy

Sep 2, 2008
Last edited:

zanyguy

Sep 2, 2008
Thx for your replies and help. I have figured out a way to do a full update to 2.04 without having to completely reconfigure the phone:

1. Get Facepalm S-OFF: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155069
2. Flash radios: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155915
3. Flash kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149951
4. Apply OTA stock ROM 2.04: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149095

Please confirm if my understanding is correct

Can anyone pls validate if this is correct?

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
Can anyone pls validate if this is correct?

If you are soff all you need to do is flash stock recovery then just take the ota (I'm not sure if you need to flash the stock kernel or not) then after you take the ota just flash the custom recovery again and then the superuser-busybox.zip to root

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: zanyguy
This worked perfectly! and it appears I was fortunate to get the latest OTA right after the update to 2.04.605.2 710RD I received another update notice for 2.06.605.1 710RD (figured what the heck..) and I still have S-OFF :) "so you can add this method works for the latest as well" RUU was a pita.. had to run htc sync to get that to see my dna..

thanks much..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE OR YOU LOSE YOUR ALREADY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER
    THIS ONLY WILL WORK IF YOU HAVE UNLOCKED YOUR BOOTLOADER BEFORE THE OTA
    GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO TAKE THE PLUNGE

IF YOU ARE S-OFF PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD

To better explain this guide, what it does is explains how to get the 2.04 OTA firmware without losing your already ***Unlocked*** bootloader. You will have to lock your bootloader, then RUU back to 1.15, re-unlock your bootloader and take the OTA and then re-flash a custom recovery.​

This is what I did and it should work (Not a 100% Guarantee) :

Download the 1.15 RUU
    Have your ORIGINAL Unlock_code.bin token ready (from when you've unlocked your bootloader on the 1.15 release)
    Backup ALL of your sdcard contents as this will completely wipe the device
    Have about 30~60 minutes to sit down and do this

[Step 1]:
    Boot into Bootloader and if you aren't in fastboot click on fastboot to get there and if it says " fastboot usb " you're good now

[Step 2]:
    Enter the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    Then let it do its thing, it might reboot.

[Step 2a]:
    Boot back into fastboot then right click RUU and click on " Run as Administrator " then follow the on screen instructions.

[Step 3]:
    After the RUU finishes power off the device and then boot back into bootloader again and get to " fastboot usb " then open command prompt and navigate to where you have your " Unlock_code.bin "

[Step 3a]:
    Enter the following code:
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

[Step 3b]:
    On your device use [Vol Up] to select " Yes " and then [Power] to proceed.

[Step 4]:
    Then boot up and go to the " Update System " and check for an update (It should prompt you to take the OTA, do it)

You should now be good to go with the latest firmware and all thats left it to reflash TWRP or CWM and either a ROM of your choice or a Nandroid.
    *** TAMPERED ***
    *** UNLOCKED ***

Here is a good ROM to flash after OTA [ROM][2.04.605.2] Stock Rooted Deodexed Zipaligned Semi-Debloated + Extras

After I completed all of these steps and took the OTA, I did not have to reflash the Unlock_code.bin file to unlock my bootloader it stayed unlocked after I took the OTA but in case yours does not just re-flash the Unlock_code.bin file one more time and it should do the trick.

Here is my proof that it worked for me:
    2013-02-17_15-22-49.jpg 2013-02-17_15-22-44.jpg 20130217_152748.jpg
    This is not how I did it, but glad it worked for you. I followed the guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2017525

I backed up my pics, movies, music and whatnot, then I flashed TWRP 2.4.1.0 and did a Nandroid backup of system and data. TWRP is known on our device to make better backups and restores than CWR. ***NOTE*** flashing the RUU will completely wipe your phone including your backup. Make sure you copy the entire TWRP folder to your PC!!!***

Next, I locked my bootloader using:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock

I then flashed the RUU as administrator. When the device boots up don't worry about GPS or signing into Google. Force an OTA update under Settings\About\Software update. Accept the update. It will download and then ask you if you want to apply. Answer yes.

The phone will reboot into stock recovery and start flashing updates. It will reboot the recovery at least once while doing so. Do not touch your phone until it boots into Android automatically. Again, don't worry about GPS or Google login. You SHOULD boot into a message that says the 2.04 update was successful. The first reboot from my "update" did not stick. I had to force another OTA update download and told it to apply again. It worked for me the second time.

Once you have a successful 2.04 update, fastboot into bootloader and unlock your bootloader again with your original unlock_code.bin.

I'm not sure if this applies any more, but step 8 of that guide says to flash the unlocked kernel and recovery. He's referring to the kernel ripped from dsb's s-off dev phone he got from the DNA launch. It allows for root access and custom recoveries to be installed. I'm not sure if this is necessary any more, but it's the only kernel I know that when you flash it, it automatically makes the phone boot into Android and you have the new "Do no not distribute outside of HTC blah blah blah" HTC logo screen. It also makes your bootloader say ***TAMPERED*** again.

I've uploaded it here (Right click and save)

After it boots into Android copy the TWRP directory back from your PC. Reboot into fastboot and flash TWRP and any kernel you want. Restore your backup (system and data.) Flash any kernel modules necessary. Wipe dalvik cache and cache (do not factory reset or wipe system.) Reboot and PROFIT. (Restore your pics, movies, music and whatnot.)

Again, this is how I did it. YMMV.
    When I click your proof button, nothing happens. All other "show content" work.

The newer kernels may allow root and custom recovery without messing with the HTC boot screen and putting tampered on the bootloader. I just did it to better safe than sorry.

Oh well it should have loaded some pictures that I uploaded I'm on the OTA stock kernel. And the the tampered msg I believe is related to using a custom recovery as well as the boot screen msg

Everything seems to be working like all my root apps and such

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app
    so in this case being

"/cache/fota/OTAPkg.zip"

because that is the only zip name i have seen since its debut. and thanks BTW.

Yes that's what I believe it is

I have decided to give her hell and am almost done with the RUU/OTA UPDATE. I'll report back in a few when I get things all buttoned up.

Relock: Check
    RUU: Check
    Unlock: Check
    Update:

Yup looks right so far, if it locks after the OTA try a few more times to run the token
    @docnok63 to answer your question about the kernel being unsecure it is i was looking around and found it " ro.secure=0 "

Please vote in the poll too that would help me out a lot I appreciate it