[Q] Can't decide on a custom ROM!

Which custom ROM?

• PAC-MAN (4.4)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread
I have a KFHD 7" (2012 model), it's rooted, the latest TWRP is installed and I'm currently running Kinology. From time to time it seems to be unnecessarily freezing and overheating (this used to happen for a long time now, but it doesn't seem to affect its performance from what I've seen) and I'm thinking of trying something new since it's already acting up.

I am currently using the latest Kinology, after I updated it to the latest version the freezing seemed to reduce visibly, but I still want to change the ROM. I was between PAC-MAN (http://forum.pac-rom.com/Thread-4-4-PAC-man-For-the-Kindle-Fire-HD-7) and CM11 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2543455).

I was going to go for PAC-MAN but I'm having some issues figuring out which the latest stable version is, since they say they have updated to 4.4 but in their downloads I can't find it in the folders with the stables. I've asked many times in their site and their thread about KFHD here in xda but I haven't received an answer yet. I could just go for CM but I have some questions about it...

So what I need the rom I'll choose to do is:
  • run the kindle reading app normally (I don't care about the carusel, I just want normal access to my mobi files
  • run games ok
  • not freeze for no reason (I mean, the main purpose of flashing something new is to make my tablet run faster not slower)
  • have the facebook messenger work properly (since I installed kinology, unless I have "chat heads" manually opened and left to run, I get no notifications about new messages)
  • have the wifi and bluetooth working

So I need people who have CM or PAC-MAN to tell me if either of these roms has these features. Oh, also, I've seen there's some feature they call "OTA". What is that? I think when I rooted my kindle I had to make sure to disable those so that it wouldn't get randomly updated and undo my root? If someone could explain that to me I'd be grateful!

Oh and one more thing. With custom roms such as those two, are amazon's apps installed and running in the background for no reason just like they do if you have the stock rom, or are they disabled/uninstalled...?

Last edited:

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
With custom roms there is no such thing as Amazon apps. I suggest CM because of its reputation and support. But PAC is not bad.
OTA is Over the Air upate. If you receive an OTA in a custom rom,there is no reason for you to lose root.

Reactions: 1210335 and YuriPan
With custom roms there is no such thing as Amazon apps. I suggest CM because of its reputation and support. But PAC is not bad.
OTA is Over the Air upate. If you receive an OTA in a custom rom,there is no reason for you to lose root.

Ok, so if I want some of Amazon's apps all I have to do is download them from the appstore, right? (So relieved, I only ever used the reading app). So if it PAC has OTA, even if I install an older version (like 3.2 that I've found with certainty), it can install the latest on its own without me messing any more with the 2nd bootloader? I was hoping to try PAC before CM and to use CM only if PAC presents more issues than I can handle...

Last edited:

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
Ok, so if I want some of Amazon's apps all I have to do is download them from the appstore, right? (So relieved, I only ever used the reading app). So if it PAC has OTA, even if I install an older version (like 3.2 that I've found with certainty), it can install the latest on its own without me messing any more with the 2nd bootloader? I was hoping to try PAC before CM and to use CM only if PAC presents more issues than I can handle...

I seriously recommend CM. Even if you get any issues,the CM team will fix it MUCH faster than PAC. As for the Amazon Apps,I don't think all of them will be on the Play Store. But the Kindle reading app will.(I used it before)

Reactions: 1210335
I seriously recommend CM. Even if you get any issues,the CM team will fix it MUCH faster than PAC. As for the Amazon Apps,I don't think all of them will be on the Play Store. But the Kindle reading app will.(I used it before)

Hmmm, then I might try CM11 today. It's true that in PAC they probably don't update too often, they don't even seem to check if people make questions or have issues too often. I've asked about which version to download a bunch of times in many different threads that they've made, and it's been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for an answer.

One last thing. Do most games run alright in CM or are there compatibly issues? Oh, and something more. Does the playstore see the device as a kindle or as something else?

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
Hmmm, then I might try CM11 today. It's true that in PAC they probably don't update too often, they don't even seem to check if people make questions or have issues too often. I've asked about which version to download a bunch of times in many different threads that they've made, and it's been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for an answer.

One last thing. Do most games run alright in CM or are there compatibly issues? Oh, and something more. Does the playstore see the device as a kindle or as something else?

Yep. I enjoyed Riptide GP 2. And I don't know about the latest nightly,but Hashcode's last unofficial build had the build prop set to recognise the device as an Amazon Kindle Fire HD.

Reactions: 1210335
Thank you so much for asking all my annoying questions! I sat down last night and flashed CM, set up everything and so far it's running smoothly. I tried some of the games I used to play and they seem to be running alright as well. I'm having some issues with the kindle reading app though, I downloaded it and logged in but it says it can't sync now and to try again later. I will try again later and see if it gets fixed...

rb2tfm

Mar 23, 2014
Walk -n- Dont walk
Short and sweet... I love and recomend CyanogenMod.I use it on my kindlefire 1, 2 and 3 and I hope to

have it on this 2nd gen HD I'm working on now. With CM the possibilities are endless and anyone can easily customize

the kindle into a lean mean tablet with ease.... Thank You CM Team!

greg2074

May 12, 2014
I took the plunge last night after having many issues with my Kindle Fire HD 7 that had been rooted and had both Amazon OS and Android. It started acting crazy after the last OTA that I thought I had shut off. Anyway, I re-rooted it, installed twrp 2.7.0.0, and then flashed it with cm-11-20140414-UNOFFICIAL-tate. Everything went smoothly and seems to work great. It also seems much faster now. Once I got all my account stuff setup, I did an update that it showed as being a stable version. I am now running cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7. All my kindle books load up and I can read them on the device or cloud and was also able to find almost all of the games that I had before on my Kindle. It just seems so much nicer and faster now!

I took the plunge last night after having many issues with my Kindle Fire HD 7 that had been rooted and had both Amazon OS and Android. It started acting crazy after the last OTA that I thought I had shut off. Anyway, I re-rooted it, installed twrp 2.7.0.0, and then flashed it with cm-11-20140414-UNOFFICIAL-tate. Everything went smoothly and seems to work great. It also seems much faster now. Once I got all my account stuff setup, I did an update that it showed as being a stable version. I am now running cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7. All my kindle books load up and I can read them on the device or cloud and was also able to find almost all of the games that I had before on my Kindle. It just seems so much nicer and faster now!

I decided to try out CM as well. Installed the latest stable version and it is indeed running much faster! I've never seen the keyboard not lag and the websites taking so little to load, so I'm satisfied so far. The Kindle app doesn't seem to be working for me though... I logged in my amazon account normally and every time I try to download books I don't even see a list, it says it failed to synch. I'll probably go over to the CM thread and as them about it...

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD

greg2074

May 12, 2014
I was able to download my books and sync initially, then when I went back I too was having sync issues. I downloaded Aptoide and it wanted to update some of my apps and the Kindle reader was one of them. After the update, it seems to be syncing and working.

I was able to download my books and sync initially, then when I went back I too was having sync issues. I downloaded Aptoide and it wanted to update some of my apps and the Kindle reader was one of them. After the update, it seems to be syncing and working.

So, wait Aptoide is an alternative app store, right? You're saying that if I update the kindle reader from there it might work properly right?

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014
Thank you so much for asking all my annoying questions! I sat down last night and flashed CM, set up everything and so far it's running smoothly. I tried some of the games I used to play and they seem to be running alright as well. I'm having some issues with the kindle reading app though, I downloaded it and logged in but it says it can't sync now and to try again later. I will try again later and see if it gets fixed...

Hi! Make sure you have the latest cm11 update settings-about tablet-cyangenmod updates

if you do and it still doesn't work please contact me and ill be will to provide further asistance1 :)

I have the latest stable update according to my tablet, I checked. I seem to have issues with the Kindle reading app (it either doesn't sync or if I try an older version it crashes as soon as it is launched of after logging in), and it seems like Google services keep crashing randomly (I think this is the 4th or 5th day I'm running Cm but it wasn't doing so for at least the first two days). It also doesn't auto rotate although I have screen rotation unlocked, it rotates only after putting the Kindle in sleep mode and unlocking it again. I dunno if all those are related or not, if you could help me I'd really be thankful. =)

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
I have the latest stable update according to my tablet, I checked. I seem to have issues with the Kindle reading app (it either doesn't sync or if I try an older version it crashes as soon as it is launched of after logging in), and it seems like Google services keep crashing randomly (I think this is the 4th or 5th day I'm running Cm but it wasn't doing so for at least the first two days). It also doesn't auto rotate although I have screen rotation unlocked, it rotates only after putting the Kindle in sleep mode and unlocking it again. I dunno if all those are related or not, if you could help me I'd really be thankful. =)

Wait. Is it the M7 Snapshot?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
What do you mean the M7 Snapshot? Is this related to the version I'm running? I'm sorry to say so but I need you to be a bit more analytic cause I'm pretty new to custom roms...

M7 is a monthly update considered more stable than nighty. I think one of the monthly snapshots had some issues. That may be what he's refering too. I am using the nightly from 7-2 (think) and it's running great for the things I use it for.

If you want to see the Tate nightie with changelog and pick a download go here http://www.cmxlog.com/11/tate/
Go here if you want to pick a monthly or nightly to download http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=tate
The Las three numbers are the month followed by the date.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yep. I enjoyed Riptide GP 2. And I don't know about the latest nightly,but Hashcode's last unofficial build had the build prop set to recognise the device as an Amazon Kindle Fire HD.