Samsung Tab and Ad-Hoc wifi Networks...?

Search This thread

whit3fir3

Aug 26, 2010
Irving, TX
I purchased a Samsung Galaxy tablet this weekend with out a 3G data plan as my idea was to just tether it to my cell phone where I have an unlimited data plan. There are several apps that will turn your phone into a wifi hot spot but all of them create an AD-HOC wifi network. Much to my surprise, by default, the Samsung Galaxy Tab will not see or allow you to connect to AD-HOC wifi networks. I took me some time to figure out how to get around this. I figured if I posted the information it might same someone else the same problems I had:

1. ROOT TABLET (This is a MUST)
2. MOUNT /system as RW - #mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
3. MAKE A BACKUP OF /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
4. REPLACE wpa_supplicant WITH VERSION I HAVE ATTACHED TO POST
5. MOUNT /system as RO - #mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
6. TURN wifi OFF and BACK ON.

Once you complete step 6 if there is a AD-HOC network in range it will show up as ssid(adhoc) in the available network list. Once you see the AD-HOC network you will be able to configure it and connect to it like you would any other wireless network.

Attachments

• wpa_supplicant.zip
    173.6 KB · Views: 7,400

bgates222

Jan 28, 2008
ad hoc

I use pdanet to turn my iphone into a hotspot. I was told by someone that pdanet creates an ad-hoc and thats how devices connect to it. It works on other phones , IPads, notebooks, the only device that doesnt see my iphone as a hotspot is my Galaxy tab. I have a friend who has the vibrant and when she turns on her tethering app my galaxy tab sees it and connects. Basically im stumped

codebug

Nov 29, 2010
I was wondering if you kown, can the Tab create a ad-hoc? I would like to use the Tab to create a ad-hoc network, other devices can join it. It looks like its "Mobile AP" is doing it. But without SIM card, it does not active. Same as you, I don't have data plan for it, even no SIM card inserted. Thank you.

bgates222

Jan 28, 2008
if its like the samsung phones then yeah it should be able to. Is ut not working when you tried it?

codebug

Nov 29, 2010
I don't have SIM card inserted. I don't see the network SSID from my laptop, so I think it's not enabled because there is no SIM card.

sp1043

Apr 14, 2006
ATX
nope still cant get this damn thing to see my iphone but thanks anyway lol

If you are trying to use your Apple iPhone with the unlimited plan to tether to the Tab, try using MyWi in either Cydia or ROCK. It works great as this is what I use since my iPhone plan is unlimited and it sees the new Adhoc connection with this update above.

bgates222

Jan 28, 2008
hey sp1043 you just activated mywi and the galaxy tab found your iphone? all you had to do is install the wpa file listed above?

mmace

Feb 11, 2009
Leeds
I connect my tab to my Desire all the time, I'm on the bus with them connected right now. I've never been able to connect an iPhone and Android in the past by ad-hoc wifi though

Maff, from my Tab

crazy talk

Jun 17, 2009
connection works fine between my Galaxy Tab and DroidX using "wireless tether" from the market.

only issue is that even when i stop the tether the Tab still believes it has a connection to the Adhoc network. only way to get it to connect to anything else is to go in and manually do it.

anyone else had an issue similar to this?

2kmy477

Dec 9, 2005
I purchased a Samsung Galaxy tablet this weekend with out a 3G data plan as my idea was to just tether it to my cell phone where I have an unlimited data plan. There are several apps that will turn your phone into a wifi hot spot but all of them create an AD-HOC wifi network. Much to my surprise, by default, the Samsung Galaxy Tab will not see or allow you to connect to AD-HOC wifi networks. I took me some time to figure out how to get around this. I figured if I posted the information it might same someone else the same problems I had:

2. MOUNT /system as RW - #mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
5. MOUNT /system as RO - #mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Once you complete step 6 if there is a AD-HOC network in range it will show up as ssid(adhoc) in the available network list. Once you see the AD-HOC network you will be able to configure it and connect to it like you would any other wireless network.

I am a noob of this,could you please provide the detailed full command of step 3 & 4?thanks a bunch.

bgates222

Jan 28, 2008
All I did was use root explorer
1.scroll down to system click
2.click on the bin folder
3 scroll down to the wpa file
4 click and hold a window will pop up then select move
5 go back to root
6 select sd card
7 then select the folder you want to put the backup in
8 then hit paste and that should move the file from system/bin to whatever folder you want

hopefully that helps

Aug 8, 2007
I just rooted my stock launch day evo last night using unrevoked 3.21 & downloaded wifi tether. My Sprint tab connects perfectly. I'm gonna drop my 5gb plan down to the 2gb plan & save myself $30 a months.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok, as an Android newb, I have no idea how to MOUNT things, or even what that is exactly. Can anyone assist me with this or send me a private message to point me in the right direction?

The easiest way to do it would be to:

1. Root your device using z4root (from the Market)
    2. Buy Root Explorer (from the Market)
    3. Download the new wpa_supplicant file from this thread
    4. In root explorer, browse to /system/bin and using the button at the top of the screen mount as r/w
    5. In root explorer, copy wpa_supplicant, and paste elsewhere
    6. In root explorer, go to your sdcard, pick up the new wpa_supplicant and copy and paste to /system/bin.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave
    I've done everything described here perfectly

My Verizon Tab see the adhoc tether signal from my EVO but it not connecting, it says :"Obtaining IP address for Android(adhoc)

can someone help me out here,...thanks.

I have the same problem to connect to the adhoc network created by my PC.

After doing everything described here, it worked for one day but now it is stucked at "Obtaining IP address".
    be careful with what you type because others might follow-it should be wpa_supplicant not "suppliment"

If your phone is rooted just turn on your ap in your wireless settings.its free.been doing this for a year.

Sent from a ginger vib with some honey