Rooted Nook Touch: Calibre friendly?

Search This thread

tonyx3

Jan 27, 2010
I rooted my N2E, and played around with it a bit, using TN. Then I restored my unrooted backup, because I couldn't seem to find a convenient way to do the one thing I want to do.

I want to wirelessly browse my calibre library, and download books from it to my nook.

I don't care what method is used. Calibre's content server, dropbox, whatever. I just want a convenient way to sideload books from calibre onto my nook without plugging it in.

But I couldn't find a way that would be simpler than just plugging it in and using Calibre's 'send to device' command, so I unrooted and went back to my backup.

Did I miss something?

met67

Apr 16, 2007
On my Nook color with CM7 I use the following setup:
- I set up Calibre to mount a folder as a device, pointing to a dropbox synced folder, so that "send to device" sends epubs to dropbox folder.
- I also use calibre2opds to create a dropbox accessible library to browse from any device (it creates also an HTML browsable version).
- on NookColor I use FolderSyncLite to automatically sync the dropbox folder with a folder on sdcard (eg Nook's MyDocuments).

Then I can use sync feature of Mantano Reader to keep its library in sync with dropbox calibre device or simply use Nook which doesn't need an explicit import to use books in its folder.

I plan to replicate this setup on my Nook Touch, which should arrive today :)

l_uka

Nov 8, 2011
hello,

I'm using Samba server on nook. Then on Windows I mapped nook as a drive and set up calibre to sync with My Files folder. Works like a charm.

PS I'm new around here so I can not post links. Search market for com.funkyfresh.samba

Last edited:

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
I use a combination of two methods to sync my books with Calibre and reading devices:
  • Calibre Library in Dropbox -
    • Syncs between Computers, can download any Calibre book via Dropbox.
    • I use this for books I don't want to carry around all the time, school books, manuals, etc.
    There are multiple apps which will sync specific folders in Dropbox with specific folders on an android device. One of these could work for automatic syncing.

• Wired Connection -
    • I use this for a large updates of my devices library since it's faster than Dropbox.
    • When I want to immediately sync a new book to read that I've just obtained.

Last edited:
Oooh, goody

I use a combination of two methods to sync my books with Calibre and reading devices:
    • I use this for books I don't want to carry around all the time, school books, manuals, etc.
    There are multiple apps which will sync specific folders in Dropbox with specific folders on an android device. One of these could work for automatic syncing.

• Wired Connection -
    • I use this for a large updates of my devices library since it's faster than Dropbox.

Gives me a good reason to root again. I will try it out, but not until after I sort out the stock 1.1.0 WiFi issues I'm having.

Droidatar

Jan 23, 2012
On my Nook color with CM7 I use the following setup:
- I set up Calibre to mount a folder as a device, pointing to a dropbox synced folder, so that "send to device" sends epubs to dropbox folder.
- I also use calibre2opds to create a dropbox accessible library to browse from any device (it creates also an HTML browsable version).
- on NookColor I use FolderSyncLite to automatically sync the dropbox folder with a folder on sdcard (eg Nook's MyDocuments).

Then I can use sync feature of Mantano Reader to keep its library in sync with dropbox calibre device or simply use Nook which doesn't need an explicit import to use books in its folder.

I plan to replicate this setup on my Nook Touch, which should arrive today :)

I know this is an old thread but just want to say thanks for spelling this out. some day I will try and mirror this set-up and may have questions

Do Aldiko and Moon+'s ability to add an OPDS catalog not work on a rooted NST?

I have a server in my basement hosting my library. I use CalibretoOPDS to generate both OPDS and HTML catalogs. It's a 'dead' list, in the sense that there's no decent searching, but I have access to it basically anywhere. I can expose it publicly as I'm using Apache and can easily password protect that directory.
There's a Calibre PHP app, that I may move to, just so I can search my library before downloading.

I also use FolderSync to move audiobooks, music, and pictures to my portable devices. I guess I could add epubs to the list if the above doesn't work.
On my server, I have a root folder for each mobile device, then subfolders for audiobooks, music, etc. I have parallel folders on my mobile devices. I run FolderSync on each mobile devices with 2 'folder pairs' for each matching pair of folders. One is SMB, runs locally every night, the other is SFTP, and runs only on demand.
To move something to a mobile device, I just copy it to the appropriate folder on my server, and everything happens 'automatically' - unless I'm on the road, at which point i have to trigger the synchronization.

BTW, for SFTP on windows, I'm having best luck with Sysax 'Multi Server'. Not open source, but you can get a personal use license for free. (As a side note, Aldiko, and maybe Moon+, allow me to specify a port, so I could, but don't currently, set this up to use a commonly-not-blocked port, like 443. I'll do this if I get blocked. FTP is often blocked, also BTW)

I do all this now for a smartphone and a tablet. I recently decided I wanted a specific-purpose reader with e-ink. The NST jumped right out as the right choice. I'm figuring I'll root mine as soon as I get it and so these same things with it, but I'm just planning to use it as a reader (well and maybe limited browsing as I sometimes do that with my library before downloading via OPDS).

Hoping this is more helpful than confusing.

Droidatar

Jan 23, 2012
Calibre settings

this seems to be the best place for this question.

I changed the settings in Calibre as to the sort title appending with a letter so I can have books of a certain type listed at the back-end of the Nook Library but they do not sort that way so I have to put the letter in the actual title does anyone know of a better way to sort books using the following set-up?

Nook touch rooted cynogenmod7
Nook Library
Using Calibre to load books with the generic android device (could not make the nook plugin work) would not send to the right place on the Nook

Thanks for any resonses

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
[...] I do all this now for a smartphone and a tablet. I recently decided I wanted a specific-purpose reader with e-ink. The NST jumped right out as the right choice. I'm figuring I'll root mine as soon as I get it and so these same things with it, but I'm just planning to use it as a reader (well and maybe limited browsing as I sometimes do that with my library before downloading via OPDS).
Your plan is a good one. I have done similar. The biggest problem has been that the NST only runs Android 2.1 eclair, and many of my favorite apps seem to require 2.2 froyo or above. I've had to search around for equivalents in some cases.

Dropsync works very well for file synchronization, within the limitations of Dropbox.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

[...] I don't care what method is used. Calibre's content server, dropbox, whatever. I just want a convenient way to sideload books from calibre onto my nook without plugging it in.
Dropbox + Dropsync works very well for this. I have calibre news feeds set up to download several newspapers and web sites on a schedule. I have a cron job on my home linux server set to grab select titles and move them into dropbox folders (e.g. magazines, newspapers). Dropbox on the server takes care of synchronizing them to the Dropbox cloud.

Each morning, I fire up my NST, enable wireless, and launch Dropsync to synchronize those specific folders.

You could, of course, just synchronize the entire calibre folder, but I like sorting things and limiting what comes down to the latest couple of days worth, so the cron job periodically deletes old stuff from the dropbox folders.

The other nice thing about dropsync is that it is two way. Files I delete on one device (I also have a NOOK color) get deleted off the dropbox folders, then off the other device when I next sync.

I'm using the stock reader, so no syncing of reading positions or any of that nice stuff.

Looks like I might be OK.
FolderSync supports "2.1 and up".
Tasker, "1.6 and up".
Aldiko and Aldiko Sync "2.1 and up"
Moon+ reader "1.6 and up"
EsFileExplorer "1.6 and up" (with a separate version for Cupcake
Root Explorer "1.1 and up" (!)
Dolphin HD "2.01 and up"

Looks like all apps I was thinking of using support 2.1. They may be utterly bad on an e-ink screen, though.
BTW, is that why you're using the stock reader?

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Looks like I might be OK.
[...]
Tasker, "1.6 and up".
I'm using Tasker to only fire up wifi when specific apps run. It works fine, but it is hard to determine whether an app is selected or not in the list. It takes some trial and error.
[...] Root Explorer "1.1 and up" (!)
RE works just fine.
BTW, is that why you're using the stock reader?
I didn't keep notes, but I recall that there were some ebooks that didn't format as nicely with other readers, or options that were difficult to spot on the e-ink screen. It's mostly just a personal choice thing, though. The other readers do work well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• Wired Connection -